• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to do - Mexico version

Johnny Rockets

Taking a trip with my girl to Playa del Carmen on Saturday and was wondering if anyone had any "must sees" while we are there. I've been to Mexico 3 or 4 times but can't remember if I have actually been to Playa or not. I know I was in Cozumel and Cancun a couple times but tequila tends to make trips to Mexico a bit fuzzy.

Anyway, I've been fortunate to do some pretty cool things in Mexico like cliff diving, jungle exploration, lots of snorkling in some really remote locations, but I am sure there are other things that I might want to do. Are the Mayan ruins worth seeing? Tour or start my own tequila company? Join a Mexican drug cartel for a day?...etc.... 

Edit * - And yes I know there is a Cyclone forming over that area right now but I am trying to pretend it's just going to go away.

If you've never tried scuba, they usually have 1hr courses in hotel pool as a prerequisite if you don't have any license. Definitely worth the experience if you've never done it before. Some even offer suba tours where you catch your own food and there is a chef waiting at beach to cook whatever you catch.

All, my cousins have rented Jeeps and gone out exploring over the terrain off road and had a great time. I've seen videos where they rent souped up dune buggies also, I did that on my last trip to Dubai out in desert and it was amazing fun, you should check into that.

Zip line tours were really fun too if you like flying through jungle on a wire!

Been to several of the Mayan ruins... but I find them fascinating.

Swimming in the cenotes

We also try to get off the neaten path and try some real taquieras, small neighborhood food places, markets and find the places the locals frequent.

If you're genuinely interested in the people, they are very friendly and will do anything for you.

I'd try to find this place, per Mad Hatter in another thread:

There is a little bar in Cozumel Mexico that does this for drinks.

If a woman is willing to show her tits and let them take a picture of them (they put the polaroids in a book that sits on the bar), they hey get several free drinks. 

They even have a judge.....there is a parrot at the bar that whistles and gives a 1-10 rating when they flash them.

Pretty funny to see.

drink and screw

go snorkelling...and by all means, if you are fortunate enough to come across a whale shark in your travels....get the hell in the water with it.  Missed this opportunity last time I was there for lack of brains!!!  damn it

there's a turtle sanctuary south of Playa...can't remember the name...and it's right close to the reef...so you snorkel with the fishes and the turtles...pretty cool

scuba if you want to get adventurous.

nice. playa del carmen is uber commercialized but it's a lot better than cancun. still you'll want to escape the touristy feel and get out in the country... the ruins at tulum are a good bet. bus trips are cheap and numerous; you'll want to get there as early as possible, as the crowds are the worst i've encountered at any archaeological ruins in the americas. worse than machu picchu, if you can believe that.

the cenotes are a cool idea, especially if it's hot out (which it will be.) is this sort of a backpacking trip or more of a stay-in-the-resort type of trip? if you're feeling adventurous you could take an overnight visa trip down to belize, but if you're limited on time you may want to save it. i'd skip cozumel too... great if you're trying to get wasted and laid and buy cheap tourist poo and pose for "authentic" tourist experiences a la dat alice and all of his cloying anecdotes, but other than that it's barren of any real attraction.

in playa you'll have no lack of things to do. there's a cool ass sports bar at the corner of calle 4 nte and 20 av. sur iirc... pool tables, great food, great vibe. i hope it's still there, that was over three years ago.

have fun!

Archived