• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gas vs Diesel

CanadianCat

Other than the advantages you mentioned, diesel engines will last much longer than gasoline ones will. However, they can be a headache to maintain, as you have to find a diesel-specific mechanic and diesel-specific parts.

The main qualms I have with diesels are that they are noisy and don't perform very well in comparison to gasoline engines. (Diesels are known more for torque). I know performance isn't necessarily a factor in your buying but that's just me.

If I were you I'd just get a gasoline-powered Honda Civic or similar. Hybrids pay off in the short run, but in the long run they can become a headache as a battery can cost more than the car's value after depreciation.

What's your budget and what type of car do you want, ie sporty vs sedan or SUV type vs compact vs full size vs truck? I have a subscription to Consu,er reports so I can share some of that info if you name a few cars you are considering,

We would be looking at spending around the mid 30's

Right now the cars im interested in are

Mazda 6 diesel

Mazda 3

Ford Focus/Fusion

Hyundai Elantra 

And my wife is really wanting the Mazda CX5

Mazda 6 diesel

Mazda 3

Ford Focus/Fusion

Hyundai Elantra 

Check out the

Chevrolet Cruze Diesel http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Cruze-DIESEL-Chevrolet-CRUZE-SEDAN-DIESEL-New-Automatic-2-0L-4-Cyl-Engine-BLACK-GRANITE-/221255701724?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3383de14dc&vxp=mtr

Mazda 6 diesel

Mazda 3

Ford Focus/Fusion

Hyundai Elantra

I'll check into the CR ranking and see what they recommend and post it in a little while. Another car in that price range that may be worth a look is an Audi A4 sedan or Q5. They are very well made cars and hold their value long term with diesel options also. The Q5 starts around 36k and I have a feeling your wife would like it if she likes the CX5.

I'm assuming you're looking to buy new, but also you might consider looking on Autotrader or Car.com for an '11 or '12 with low miles. With carfax giving you the cars history and ability to call dealership and get fully repair history, you could easily save $10k -$15k for a car that still has factory warranty. just a thought.

Personally I would go diesel, but there are drawbacks as others have mentioned. I have wished for the US market to be more diesel friendly for a while now.

My last few weeks in Germany, I rented a Mercedes Benz E class diesel. Hundreds of miles without filling up, and power. Need I say more?

But honestly gas would definitely be more convenient despite my optimistic thinking.

VW diesels get great milage, but are a bit of a pain, and are pretty expensive.

Just think about it this way, the difference between 35 and 50 mph is substantial, but not enough to make me drive or buy a car that is a bad investment.

If you use it only for your drive it's about $770 more per year to get a 35mph vs a 50.  Or about $16 per week.

Again, just saying that I would rather get an acura that holds it's value over a new Chevy Cruz that will not.

Archived