• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Barner's Impact Against Arizona

Seltzer

Riveras press conference leads me to believe that Barner won't be put in to any kind of consistent role for a few weeks. Practice means everything to Rivera and Barner finally made it back for those two practices last week and went all out this week. I'd expect to see him in on 6-12 snaps depending on how many times we run versus pass the ball.

Go listen to his press conference and you will get your answer.

I don't believe that we are expecting too much. Kenjon has all the tools to be successful. He also has three guys who have had a lot of success in this league to train him. I expect him to do well when given the chance. But for the love of The Golden Calf of Bristol, carry the ball in your pocket.

Riveras press conference leads me to believe that Barner won't be put in to any kind of consistent role for a few weeks. Practice means everything to Rivera and Barner finally made it back for those two practices last week and went all out this week. I'd expect to see him in on 6-12 snaps depending on how many times we run versus pass the ball.

Go listen to his press conference and you will get your answer.

I don't believe that we are expecting too much. Kenjon has all the tools to be successful. He also has three guys who have had a lot of success in this league to train him. I expect him to do well when given the chance. But for the love of The Golden Calf of Bristol, carry the ball in your pocket.

Wouldn't it be the best thing if the Panthers WERE GOING TO PLAY BARNER, is keep him a secret, so he's not planned for by Arizona?? So I'm not surprised that Rivera would talk that way.

FYI: 6-12 snaps would certainly be enough (and called a nice surprise) for a rookie that hasn't started all season. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he did play a bit, if he's been practicing since last week. The Panthers need to realize their fortunes are built on their offense (especially in today's NFL). Not Rivera's misguided love for a defense that can never seem to hold late game leads, that even most bad defenses appear to do all the time. So the more the merrier (especially for a team that's not game planning for him). Why not?

No that is really overblown. Their defensive ranking is based on facing teams with no running attack averaging 100 or less yards a game. St Louis is averaging 49. Would you say our rush defense is worse because we rank lower without considering that 2 of our 3 opponents had rushing attacks in the top 5?

Besides the difference between the top rushing defense and the 20th ranked one is roughly 35 yards a game. The difference between the top rushing attack and the 20th one is almost 100 yards so defensive rankings are much closer than offensive ones most of the time.

Truth is that come Sunday the truth will be revealed and Arizona will be shown to have an overblown run defense as we rack up well over 100 yards.

Just saying 2 sides to the coin...we are ranked where we are having played teams who allow everyone to run on them

Tampa Bay has a good run blocking OL and RB - they average 100+ yards in there 3 other games

There opponents average is less than 100 yards because of AZ. They are the reason. There opponents all average over 100 yard rush average you look at the 3 other games.

I think both teams meet in the middle this week

Wouldn't it be the best thing if the Panthers WERE GOING TO PLAY BARNER, is keep him a secret, so he's not planned for by Arizona?? So I'm not surprised that Rivera would talk that way.

FYI: 6-12 snaps would certainly be enough (and called a nice surprise) for a rookie that hasn't started all season. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he did play a bit, if he's been practicing since last week. The Panthers need to realize their fortunes are built on their offense (especially in today's NFL). Not Rivera's misguided love for a defense that can never seem to hold late game leads, that even most bad defenses appear to do all the time. So the more the merrier (especially for a team that's not game planning for him). Why not?

You do realize that the defense has lost leads late in the game because the offense has continually had too many 3 and outs in the 4th quarter, putting the defense right back out there......oh wait, no you don't.

Just saying 2 sides to the coin...we are ranked where we are having played teams who allow everyone to run on them

Tampa Bay has a good run blocking OL and RB - they average 100+ yards in there 3 other games

There opponents average is less than 100 yards because of AZ. They are the reason. There opponents all average over 100 yard rush average you look at the 3 other games.

As I said in another thread:

The cardinals were shut out for 3 quarters by Tampa who has no pass rush and won because Tampa was starting a rookie who threw an interception to  hand Arizona the game.  I can't see Arizona scoring many points.  We know if it is a blow out it will be us with the lead.  Frankly I don't care if they get 700 yards as long as we hold them to 12 points which is our season average.

I know I go into  every game expecting to win but I really think we win this week by 10 or more.  Arizona is awful converting 3rd downs and have been lucky winning their 2 games.  They got a gimme interception against Tampa and a pass interference in the end zone to set up a late TD at home against Detroit.  People say that they shut down Reggie Bush but don't realize Bush only played in the first half before he went out with an injury. He came back briefly in the second half but admitted he shouldn't have.  So they have faced NO who has no run game (81 yards), Detroit who averages 95 yards a game, Tampa who averages 100 yards and St Louis who averages 47 yards.  Meanwhile we average 150 yards per game.  Expect us to run often and wear them down.

Arizona averages 75 yards running the ball, I say we keep them to 50 or less.  Does anyone expect Arizona to throw for 400 yards with that line and Palmer throwing the ball?  They are going to dink and dunk down the field once they see our pass rush.  I think he might throw for 200 yards maybe 250.  I am surely a homer but even at home I can't see them running away with it.  Unless they get defensive TDs or special teams TDs I don't see them scoring more than 14 points.  I think we get closer to 24.

They will be one dimensional with a lot of 3 and outs. Their defense will be out there most of the time.  They will get worn down because we are a persistent running team.  It isn't just the average yards but the fact they are also facing a very strong defense who gets sacks and pressures the QB.  Lets review.  How many points did they score against New Orleans?   7    How many against Tampa even with 2 gift interceptions?  13

Yeah. This is like the Giants game where all you complainers were predicting gloom and doom. Well this is all I will debate before the game about the score.  When we win lets talk after the game while you explain why we beat them.

You do realize that the defense has lost leads late in the game because the offense has continually had too many 3 and outs in the 4th quarter, putting the defense right back out there......oh wait, no you don't.

I would disagree two fold. 

The defense has blown several leads/games when the offense gave them the lead with time running out.

If you can't hold a team with no time outs marching down the length of the field (Tampa Bay and Atlanta last year; Buffalo this year, etc..) with sub 1 or 2 min left, you're not a good defense. Sorry. 

Secondly: You can argue, it's RIVERA'S BELIEF in his defense that allows the Panthers to play a very conservative offense [in the first place], once they have the scantest of leads, even from the second and third quarter. Just look at the Buffalo game as the most recent of numerous examples. Instead of Rivera trying to throw the ball, he ran it up the middle three times in a row during that last possession. It was clear Rivera had no intention of ever trying to score a touch down there. If the Panthers score a TD at that moment, the Bills have virtually no chance. On the contrary, all RR wanted to do was run the clock out and kick a FG. He displays this type of behavior time and time again. The two scenarios go hand in hand. Rivera ball. 

Oh No You Didn't/Tried [that one]!!   :cool:

As I said in another thread:

They will be one dimensional with a lot of 3 and outs. Their defense will be out there most of the time. They will get worn down because we are a persistent running team. It isn't just the average yards but the fact they are also facing a very strong defense who gets sacks and pressures the QB. Lets review. How many points did they score against New Orleans? 7 How many against Tampa even with 2 gift interceptions? 13

Yeah. This is like the Giants game where all you complainers were predicting gloom and doom. Well this is all I will debate before the game about the score. When we win lets talk after the game while you explain why we beat them.

I'm strictly talking defense.....and their D is legit. There offense of course impacts there D. But fans are glossing over how good their D is on its own.

In NO, there D held NO to 17 pts with crappy offensive play. D got worn down and ultimately couldn't hold up.....but you can say that about us or any other good D.

I wasn't a doom and gloomer, I was one the few here confidently picking us to beat the Giants. Started a thread on it. That is your standard practice of just making up views and putting them on someone to aid your rants. I predicted a win last week and an ugly one this week. Field position game...and turnovers being a big part of that game.

I have predicted a win this week. I just can acknowledge AZ is built to take our run away (which is exaggerated in terms of how good it is to begin with based on who we have played and when our yards came to date)

FYI: I'm aware 6-12 snaps would be a lot but they won't be specialty situations. He will simply be spelling Dwill and be pulled again.

I'm strictly talking defense.....and their D is legit. There offense of course impacts there D. But fans are glossing over how good their D is on its own.

In NO, there D held NO to 17 pts with crappy offensive play. D got worn down and ultimately couldn't hold up.....but you can say that about us or any other good D.

I wasn't a doom and gloomer, I was one the few here confidently picking us to beat the Giants. Started a thread on it. That is your standard practice of just making up views and putting them on someone to aid your rants. I predicted a win last week and an ugly one this week. Field position game...and turnovers being a big part of that game.

I have predicted a win this week. I just can acknowledge AZ is built to take our run away (which is exaggerated in terms of how good it is to begin with based on who we have played and when our yards came to date)

We'll see if you think their D is legit after DeAngelo put up 100 yards on them. After that happens, you'll pick holes in their D.

Barner will spell DWill when DWill wants a breather. If Barner plays well in those spots he will garner more touches. Play well, the touches increase. Play badly, which I don't expect, and the touches decrease.

We have plans for Barner. The only way those plans do not reach fruition is if he falters. I just don't see that happening. He has done everything they have asked him to do. Oh, and Tolbert showed him how to attack a blitzer, and not wait for the guy to get to him. He picked it up in a heartbeat. The kid knows football, and is very teachable. He gots this.

Their D is decent at best. We have an Offense that will wear them out. I have every confidence we will be 2-2 at weeks end.

Archived