• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Begin Head Coach Search?

carp24000

Watch Rivera take this team to the playoffs. :) He just somehow needs constant motivation. Its not about players liking you ; its about learning to close. 

IMO, it's not a motivation issue, Rivera just gets too conservative at times.  I think it took him so long to get a HC job that he is afraid he will blow it by being too risky, so gets overly conservative.  But I do believe that when the fire is squarely on his ass he realizes that what he has been doing is not working so needs change a bit.  Just listening to him when he was hired I think it is clear that he likes a more aggressive approach, but on the field has been coaching scared.  Hopefully, he's starting to trust the idea that his best chance of keeping his job is to become more aggressive...if not, his time will be up at seasons end.   

• Pie 1

Gettlemans job isnt to impress a guy on a message board its to make a successful franchise. I wouldnt worry about what CRA thinks of his decisions. Look at the results or lack of in a year or two and they will stand on their own.

no poo. but the point of these message boards is for conversation about the panthers

• Pie 1

this is kind of ridiculous, sorry, but I don't support Gettles doing this right now...

edit: at least, contacting candidates and the like.  but meh, we'll see, maybe he thinks he can motivate rivera this way.  just seems like it could be a huge distraction for players & coaches

The thing about Rivera that bothers me is the thing I liked most about him in the beginning--his press conferences.

Just this year, he compared AJ Klein to Luke Keuchly.  Last week, he likened (indirectly) Sproles to Barner. 

I hate that he spews statistics such as the team's mathematical method for grading players and does not play the odds during games.  If you have an 80% chance to win a game on 4th down, especially if not getting the first down means the other team is likely to play for a tie--you take that chance.  Don't sit there and tell me that Hardy had a good game because he was a factor in 1/3.44 plays per game and the norm for DE's is 7.3.  If you understand numbers, then play the odds and do the math.

I think you, like many, misinterpreted those comparisons.  He was just talking about the style of play, not talent level or that they will even be as good as those players. 

Hell-- Maybe we are all overthinking this and DG just doesn't like RR??? Maybe there just isn't much chemistry between the two? Maybe RR and his brush shoulders on behind the scene things we are not privy to?

Pad that with RR's record as our head coach and it makes it easy for any GM to start looking for the replacement.

As far as we know, DG could have already told RR he is gone unless at the least a very strong playoff push. Then DG being doubtful RR can achieve it, has just begun sorting out who he would look to take over.

Practical 

I think you, like many, misinterpreted those comparisons.  He was just talking about the style of play, not talent level or that they will even be as good as those players. 

I got that, but any time you mention another active player's name, you are inviting unfair comparisons.

Two lame duck coaches in less than five years. Now you are publicly searching for a new head coach four games into the season. One word comes to mind here. Dysfunctional. I hope you guys like no name candidates, because that's all we are likely to attract this way.

I got that, but any time you mention another active player's name, you are inviting unfair comparisons.

I think that only applies to fans and fringe media.  Most understand the context and take it for what it is.  Just like real insiders scoff at the comparisons draft pundits make every year.   

I believe the most important thing you can take from those comparisons is how Rivera sees those players being used. 

once again the comments he made you took out of context.

I like his pedigree and that he actually has a plan in place.

you didnt like the beason move because of film room study. you find anything and everything to fault instead of looking at the other side of the situation. that is your m.o.

you can call it anything else but there are positives and negatives to every situation. you look at the negatives.

No, I just don't slant positve like most fans when it comes to their team. I look at both. The fact I don't slant postive makes you think I am overly negative. Reality is I have been higher on RR/Cam that most here. That is the foundation of this team. Śo that overly negative poo is a selective accusation. having a list of players I think we should move on from isnt being a negative fan.....life in the NFL.

Also perspective matters, too many are negative about RR...which I oppose.

DG then show backed that lack of faith comment with his lack of action aiding RR/Cam's OL mess and his draft.....

I didn't like the Beason move bc of timing....I would want to part with Williams the day Stewart returns from PUP either.

No, I just don't slant positve like most fans when it comes to their team. I look at both. The fact I don't slant postive makes you think I am overly negative. Reality is I have been higher on RR/Cam that most here. That is the foundation of this team. Śo that overly negative poo is a selective accusation. having a list of players I think we should move on from isnt being a negative fan.....life in the NFL

DG then show backed that lack of faith comment with his lack of action aiding RR/Cam's OL mess and his draft.....

I didn't like the Beason move bc of timing....I would want to part with Williams the day Stewart returns from PUP either.

i mean i guess you can call it an "accusation" but i just call it how i see(read) it.

Two lame duck coaches in less than five years. Now you are publicly searching for a new head coach four games into the season. One word comes to mind here. Dysfunctional. I hope you guys like no name candidates, because that's all we are likely to attract this way.

But Rivera's not lame duck.  He has a legitimate chance to stay if he can step up to the plate and turn this team into a winner.  If not, then he hasn't earned the right to stay.  But to say he is lame duck would imply that he is gone no matter what, and I don't think that is the case at all.

What the Panthers are doing is pretty standard for teams with coaches on their last chance.

• Pie 1