• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2 guys look solid again.

koolkatluke

I know Lester looked solid the past two weeks but you have to ask yourself the question... Lester over Mikel ?????

We are finally playing a run first team and Mikel is much better in run support than Lester.

Lester is smart and he has a knack for the ball in pass coverage but he takes bad angles to the running back. If he does that against Adrian Peterson (AP) we will have to chalk up a quick seven points. I believe we are a team that still has the potential to turn this season around but a couple of big plays from AP could cause a negative chain reaction. We all know what happens when we have to pass to play catch up. We aren't that kind of team yet due to bad offensive line play in pass blocking and receivers with the dropsies.

I believe the smart choice is to at least letting Mikell see plenty of snaps.

How many snaps did Melvin White play against the Cardinals?  Cause he either completely shut down whoever he was covering for the entire game or he just didn't play much, cause I think I saw him on the screen on maybe a couple plays against the run...but I never saw him give up any passes unless I just wasn't paying attention.

I will definitely give the kids some props. They have earned their playing time. That said. If we are playing to win? I start Mikell. His smarts, experience, and talent give us the best chance to win. Give the kids some plays for sure. But start your Vet for the leadership this young secondary needs.

If however, we are playing for the future? Start the kids. Hellz bellz. Let's see what da kids gots. Gettlemen has one major credo. "Be worth your salary". No matter where you came from, you had better produce.

Hellz, I anin't worried none about the Defense. They have earned a pass in the worry dept.

Fix the Offense and we can turn things around. Fix the Offense and we can be the team "No one wants to play".

I will definitely give the kids some props. They have earned their playing time. That said. If we are playing to win? I start Mikell. His smarts, experience, and talent give us the best chance to win. Give the kids some plays for sure. But start your Vet for the leadership this young secondary needs.

If however, we are playing for the future? Start the kids. Hellz bellz. Let's see what da kids gots. Gettlemen has one major credo. "Be worth your salary". No matter where you came from, you had better produce.

Hellz, I anin't worried none about the Defense. They have earned a pass in the worry dept.

Fix the Offense and we can turn things around. Fix the Offense and we can be the team "No one wants to play".

I would doubt that Rivera is safe enough in his job at this point to be playing the rookies looking toward the future (which for Rivera could be short lived here).  So based on practice and game film you can only assume that he thinks that Lester gives us the best chance to win.  That is probably based on scheme if we are going to play cover 2 more than man to man which is what many teams do against a running team.  it allows us to use zone coverage which also lets defenders look into the backfield and recognize when they are running easier than when playing man to man with the focus on covering your man.  If Lester is better against the pass and in zone coverage then it makes sense he will start.  If we intend to play cover 1 and put 8 in the box then it might make more sense to play Mikell since he seems to play better against the run,

I suspect both will play.  How much may be determined by what Minnesota does.

I would doubt that Rivera is safe enough in his job at this point to be playing the rookies looking toward the future (which for Rivera could be short lived here).  So based on practice and game film you can only assume that he thinks that Lester gives us the best chance to win.  That is probably based on scheme if we are going to play cover 2 more than man to man which is what many teams do against a running team.  it allows us to use zone coverage which also lets defenders look into the backfield and recognize when they are running easier than when playing man to man with the focus on covering your man.  If Lester is better against the pass and in zone coverage then it makes sense he will start.  If we intend to play cover 1 and put 8 in the box then it might make more sense to play Mikell since he seems to play better against the run,

I suspect both will play.  How much may be determined by what Minnesota does.

With Minny being a majorly running team, Bigger safeties are usually called for. Tackling AP is not an easy chore to begin with. Let alone putting smaller guys on the field. But hey, with Rivera, you just never know.

Minny also is not going to spread you out. So getting 8 in the box is easier, but you had better make the tackle. If you miss, AP can be gone in a heartbeat.

We do try to play situational Defense. So I would imagine both get plenty of plays in. But what do I know. I thought we would be 2-2 going to Minny.

With Minny being a majorly running team, Bigger safeties are usually called for. Tackling AP is not an easy chore to begin with. Let alone putting smaller guys on the field. But hey, with Rivera, you just never know.

Minny also is not going to spread you out. So getting 8 in the box is easier, but you had better make the tackle. If you miss, AP can be gone in a heartbeat.

We do try to play situational Defense. So I would imagine both get plenty of plays in. But what do I know. I thought we would be 2-2 going to Minny.

The last time we played AP, what I remember what how he killed us in space on screens and passes over the middle as well as running the ball.  It could be that we are using a spy on AP and Mikell is fast enough to keep up with him and can play him to run or pass.  Wouldn't you knowing he is the one guy you have to account for on every play?

The last time we played AP, what I remember what how he killed us in space on screens and passes over the middle as well as running the ball.  It could be that we are using a spy on AP and Mikell is fast enough to keep up with him and can play him to run or pass.  Wouldn't you knowing he is the one guy you have to account for on every play?

You definitely have to commit to tackling when you play AP. All hands on deck. Everybody rallys to the ball. All those cliché's. You hope to limit his impact, because he will get his.

The best way to beat AP is to score every time you get the ball. They are not built to keep up, and it shows. They know they have a problem scoring, hence giving Cassell another shot. But, even on the road, I think our Defense can slow them down. Take AP out of the game by scoring. Simple.

The Vikes are having a hard time on Offense. This week should be no different.

We are moving the ball on Offense. We just have to learn to score, and get rid of those pesky WTF? moments. Not going to lie. This Offense scares me. We can move the ball, but we can't score? Why is that? What can we change?

We used to be pretty good in the Red Zone. Now...not so much. Fix that, and we can be good. Because this Offense between the 20s is one damm fine Offense. Then we get into scoring position...plays break down, penalties rear their ugly heads, those pesky WTF? moment happen.

Personally, I really think this team is cursed. For years we could always blame our woes on the Defense. We couldn't outscore teams, nor could we stop them from scoring. Nowadays, it is the opposite. We can keep the opposition at bay, but we can't seem to score enough to win. WTF?

I've been a Lions fan my whole life. And I have seen more WTF? moments in the last two years to baffle even me.

Sorry for the rant.

Archived