• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greatest Horror Movie Franchise of all time

Dpantherman

Greatest horror movie franchise  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What is the greatest horror movie franchise of all time?

• Halloween
    • A Nightmare on Elm Street
    • Friday the 13th
    • Pyscho
    • Child's Play
    • Night of the Living Dead
    • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    • The Excorcist
    • Saw
    • Paranormal Activity
    • Pie
    • Boobs

Halloween easily to me, although I like a lot of them, so I am going to give my unsolicited opinion on some of the choices presented in the poll.

Halloween- Movie has always freaked me out. Especially the original ones. Michael Myers would make the viewer aware of his presence in one second and then dissapear a few frames later. Girl walks by window, you see that fugged up mask, she walks back and he is gone. Where the fug did he go?? Is he in my room now. Always scared the poo out of me the way he trolled all his victims. By far the scariest brother on the block. I liked every Halloween movie except the one that wasn't even about Myers (which was totally weird) and the one where the actor playing Dr. Lumus (sp?) died during filming so instead of nixing it or recasting the role they just decided to abruptly end the movie seemingly way before it was supposed to be over.

Nightmare on Elm St - I saw the first one at an age waaaay too young to see this kind of movie. Like 3rd grade He is the only bad guy to actually give me nightmares, and I had recurring nightmares about Freddy up until high school. The first one is scary as poo. The rest Freddy became funny Freddy with stupid cheesy lines and he became a little comical. I do like Nightmare 4: Dream Master where Alice absorbs the dream powers of her friends after they die. Like after the martial arts dude gets killed, then Alice finds his nunchuks and starts slowly and as she absorbs his power suddenly starts going to fugging town on those things. But other than the first, 4th, and A New Nightmare they all kinda sucked to me.

Friday the 13th: Should have stopped at "Friday the 13th:The Final Chapter" That should have been the final chapter because they ruined the franchise after that. As a matter of fact, 3 & 4 are probably the two best movies in that franchise. In 1 Jason wasn't even in it, and in 2 he is running around with a potato sack on his head. The legendary hockey mask didn't even make it into the series until 3. But back to the main point. After the "Final Chapter" we were given a Jason that wasn't actually Jason. "Jason takes Manhatten" in which one of his big kills was literally punching a guys head off. Jason X, which was a new Jason in space, and a movie where a Doctor ate dead Jason's heart (yeah, that is right. Ate his heart) and was consumed by the spirit of Jason. That last one was the worst, but is somewhat redeemed by the final scene of the movie where a camera slowly pans on Jason's mask laying in the dirt, until suddenly Freddy's claws come out of the ground to grab Jason's mask and pull it into the ground, and you hear him say "Come Here!" Setting up Feddy vs.Jason, which actaully didn't happen until 10 years later.

Psycho- first one is a cinematic gem and an all time classic. The rest aren't even worth mentioning

Child's Play- first one scary, the rest funny. Like really funny. Like should be categorized as a comedy franchise and not horror franchise. Chucky is awesome and that hilarious.

Night of the Living Dead- Good movie. Nuff said

Texas Chainsaw Massacre- Was scarier when I thought it was based off a true story. Then found out that it was just inspired by a true story and there was no Leatherface running around with a chainsaw.

The Exorcist- Another horror gem. But then after that I am not sure if I ever saw any sequels, so I don't think of it as a franchise

Saw- C'mon man. The first one was barely watchable. And it went down hill from there. Cary Elwes. Cary fugging Elwes in a horror flick. Great comedic actor. Drama, not so much. Although the ending to that first one was pretty sweet.

Paranormal Activity- I hate to say it, but I have never seen any of them. By the time they came out I had outgrown and become so dissatisfied with the horror genre as a whole, that I just missed it.

Pie- yes please

Boobs- You motorboating son of a bitch!

Had to pick Night of the Living Dead.

Basically spawned the zombie as we know it today.

I was going to say the same thing but my post was already so long.

If the question was cultural, cinematic, or genre impact I would be right there with ya.

But as a stand alone franchise I couldn't quite get there.

Had to pick Night of the Living Dead.

Basically spawned the zombie as we know it today.

Valid point on that.

I went "old man" on my girlfriend's zombie loving teenage daughter and showed her the movie that started it all.

Friday the 13th: Should have stopped at "Friday the 13th:The Final Chapter" That should have been the final chapter because they ruined the franchise after that. As a matter of fact, 3 & 4 are probably the two best movies in that franchise. In 1 Jason wasn't even in it, and in 2 he is running around with a potato sack on his head. The legendary hockey mask didn't even make it into the series until 3. But back to the main point. After the "Final Chapter" we were given a Jason that wasn't actually Jason. "Jason takes Manhatten" in which one of his big kills was literally punching a guys head off. Jason X, which was a new Jason in space, and a movie where a Doctor ate dead Jason's heart (yeah, that is right. Ate his heart) and was consumed by the spirit of Jason. That last one was the worst, but is somewhat redeemed by the final scene of the movie where a camera slowly pans on Jason's mask laying in the dirt, until suddenly Freddy's claws come out of the ground to grab Jason's mask and pull it into the ground, and you hear him say "Come Here!" Setting up Feddy vs.Jason, which actaully didn't happen until 10 years later.

I actually liked that they gave Jason a 'Van Helsing' of sorts in Tommy Jarvis.  I especially liked what they did with that character in the second Freddy vs Jason vs Ash comic series.

Halloween kinda did that with Tommy Doyle, but Michael's 'Van Helsing' was always going to be either Dr. Loomis or his sister.

Not sure if you know, but the whole 'New Blood' silliness was actually inspired by the idea of Jason vs another horror icon, Carrie White from 'Carrie'.  Kind of a cool idea, I think, executed poorly overall but admittedly kinda fun to watch.

The final Friday, essentially "Jason the Body Snatcher"...Ugh :(  Would have rather had Tommy come back and, realizing they can't kill him, seal him in cement permanently or some such.

While we're at it, I always thought if they were going to end Freddy, the best person to do that would be an angel (he is, for all practical purposes, a demon after all).

I chose Saw because of the concept of a guy who exploits the general nastyness of human behavior and forces people to use their own flaws as weapons against themselves, to me at least, is a better concept of the general slasher type stuff. It was a clever thing to do, and the contraptions/Macguyver-esque nature of the devices were pretty interesting. Granted, it is more gore than horror, I just felt like it is the best series of the bunch.

NoES is pretty good too, making people afraid to go to sleep and all that jazz.

That said, I don't find any movie "scary" or whatever.

Archived