• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our New Identity as a Dink n' Dunk Offense

Captroop

Was listening to Mike and Mike talking with Herm Edwards about the Panthers game on the radio this morning and Greenberg dropped what I found to be a very interesting stat. 

During our 1-3 start, Cam's average pass attempt was for just over 10 yards, his completion percentage just teetered over 50% and he had 6 turnovers. During our 3-game winning streak (I got a little hard typing that) Cam's average pass attempt has gone down to just over 6 yards; and the result is a completion percentage over 70%, and zero turnovers in the winning stretch.

It's hard to imagine considering we have a QB with one of the strongest arms in the league, and two burners in Ginn and Smith, but it would seem that our offense has found its identity. We are a low-risk, clock-eating, dinkin' and dunkin' offense. And I'm surprisingly okay with it. Cam is getting touchdowns on the air and on the ground, we're putting up 30+ points per game, and we're over .500.

With the defense being as stellar as it is, I think this mentality could carry us to a playoff berth. Both Herm and Golic like us to grab the last wildcard slot (and with the shiz-wreck state of the NFC, I can totally see that happening).

I just hope the story doesn't turn into one of Cam being converted into a game manager because he is unreliable/gunslinger/too dumb for a down the field passing game.  What they are doing clearly works, and I hope they stick to it.

Watch Peyton , Brees, or Brady...

Do we see them firing it 20 yards down field every play? Nah. They throw intermediate stuff...find windows in the zone. It's playing QB. Cam can sling it with anyone. Oh ya...and he can break a defense with his legs...

It isn't really dink and dunk....all good QBs hit these throws.

Also, someone broke it down last week (can't remember which media outlet)....Cam's throws are much more difficult overall than what you see in a dink and dunk. He has just dialed back the big play gambles for more efficient options

its what we've been missing from our offense since steve beuerlein left.  you dink and dunk and draw the coverage in so you can drop it over their heads when they're not looking.  its smart football.

Exactly, that horrible Ginn drop was directly correlated to the run game and Cam's smart QB play. 

Archived