• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why We Lost

Catalyst

A lot of blame going around right now, but when it comes right down to it the reason we lost this game is pretty simple: the 49ers are a better team than we are.

What I mean by that is they have more talent. Kap is not a better QB than Cam, but he does have an infinitely better OL & more weapons to work with. That was essentially the difference in this game.

Someone said before the game that even if we lost this wasn't another Arizona disaster and I agree. We're in the early phases of being one of the league's top teams, but to take that next step we will have to make some tough choices and put some better talent around Cam.

This includes letting Greg Hardy go. No, not for nothing like we did with Peppers (thanks, Marty) but franchise him and trade him for a 1st round pick the way the Chiefs did Jared Allen several years back when they sent him to Minnesota. Plenty of teams will be clamoring to add an elite pass rusher and, frankly, we'd be better served spending that money - and the pick we'll get - on upgrading the offense.

I don't know about anyone else, but personally I thought Cam played a hell of a game all things considered. With no running game and a mediocre WR corp. he made throw after throw against one of the league's best defenses. In the end, they were able to stop us because, as I said, the talent just isn't there and because the defense had a bad 2nd half. Next season it'll have to be different if we plan on returning to the playoffs and doing some damage.

It's time for some of that old Gettlemagic because with a good, well thought out plan this offseason we could be scary good in 2014.

Two missed opprotunities at the goal line would have put us in position to shoot for a game winning field goal at the end.

Not that we would have pulled off the kick, just saying that those two goal line failures are what I would point to as why we lost.

I was going to post the same thing. If we could have got in the end zone on those two opportunities i think it would have changed the whole game!

We got outplayed in most aspects that second half and let the ref situation in the 1st half deflate us.   Poor play calling again, bad 3rd down D when the refs didn't help SF, and just a clear lack of weapons.  

The main focus this offseason is building a potent offense around Cam and Gettleman has a lot of sorting out to do.  

I was going to post the same thing. If we could have got in the end zone on those two opportunities i think it would have changed the whole game!

Get seven points on fourth and goal, then seven instead of three on third and goal. That's eleven points that got left on the field. Get the ball with a minute to go, make a pass to get in range, and make the field goal, now we're at fourteen points. Change nothing else and the final score is 24-23.

Archived