• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith on Gettleman's "Evaluation" comment

Johnny Rockets

Steve needs to understand and not take it personally. A reporter asked about Steve and his future with the team. 

He either 

A) Flat out lies - Steve smith is great and he played like the number WR1 we thought he would and we expect him to do so in the future

B) No comment - again bad sign if you cant even answer this

C) Tells the truth - We have to evaluate him to see if he is worth the money. I am trying to put the best team out there with respect to the money.

It is kinda hard to tip steve off when the media questions DG right then and there. 

This whole thing sounds so over blown. One thing for sure though is that DG should have reached out to Smith after those comments hit the media. I'm a little taken back that he didn't. 

I still think DG just didn't use his words properly. He's evaluating the whole team and he used Smith as a way of emphasizing his point. The way this thing has blown up is a little silly.

I don't know.  DG has said for weeks that they are evaluating everyone on the roster.  Then the combine happened and their attention was focused on that.  I don't think he's going to call SS while on vacation with his family to stir up some crap about some comment that he has to make to the national media at the combine.  Steve is very emotional.  Always has been.  It doesn't surprise me to see him vent a little in front of the media now that it's already been blown out of proportion.  

some of you guys turn on players so easily it's funny...........smh this is a business but that has nothing to do with this situation, smith was the only receiver getting open making catches besides olsen..............has a couple of football free sundays gave some of you amnesia.

were talking about a guy who has the first chance to be our first HOFer, Gettleman needs to to step it up, this is the second time he's said some iffy stuff about a key player. The smith is old talk give it a rest the guy is still better then half the leagues WR's today

If there is anything that Gettlemen can improve on as a gm its his candor with the media...he's had several quotes get reworded and people start making stories out of nothing.  It's cut throat journalism but its also on our GM to understand what he is saying and how it may sound.

the same was said about cam.  i don't really care how words can be spun by the media.  it has nothing to do with the play/production on the field.  it's that natural yankee asshole attitude, and i love it.

As great as Steve Smith has been in the past, it's clear he's lost a couple steps.  He's still a great role player on the team and is one of those players that should be able to leave the team on his own terms, but in order to do that he should take a big paycut.  I'm sure Gross retiring has got Smith thinking about the end of his own career.  I think the best thing for both sides would be for him to restructure and reduce his contract to be able to play one more year and see how it goes, like Gross did last season.  

it's not about DG bowing down SIG.

this guy is the greatest panther of all time. You don't throw these kinds of words out there like that. There are very easy phrases he could have used in the media, then talked to Smith personally.

He needs to learn his fuging history and know when to keep his mouth shut. I'm a huge DG supporter and I love the direction we are going. But we are talking about Steve Smith. You dont throw poo like that our there publicly. You give the respect that SS is due.

I agree that Steve should be respected...but many on here act as if he should be protected.

Archived