• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

You want a winning team or a "feel good" mediocre one?

Jmac

it is done fellas... no choice but to look ahead. many of you don't handle a breakup well i see. nevertheless, whatever it takes to win. I don't expect us to exactly pickup where we left off, but if you think this year's cuts are big next year will be bigger in reference to "attachment" players. The RBs are next year.

Last time I checked, we were just a winning team last season. People seem to forget that we wouldn't have made it to 12-4 without Smitty( ie 4th down catch in MIA). I guess what people are upset with is how this situation is being handled. It could have been handled better. This is how you treat your best WR in franchise history with no replacement groomed in sight?

After all the years of losing you would think that this fan base would embrace a different direction. I'm sure Smith had planned for this day and will do what he needs to for himself and his family.DG may not be the most lovable guy and his style may seem harsh.His job is to make this team into a winning franchise reqardless of hurt feelings,etc. Nobody bitched last season with the division championship on his watch. To wish that the team crashes and burns due to cutting a player is short sighted.Smith will be in the ring of honor and will always be a Panther. As of today the Hurney era is over for good. The NFL is a tough business and DG is running it like a winning franchise needs to be run.

So keeping SS another season is choosing not to have a winning team? That is where we disagree I think SS still has something to give and more than just at a mediocre level.

Last time I checked it takes offensive play makers to win. The Panthers currently have 1 on their roster.

We better have an amazing offensive free agency and draft.

How many did we have on offense last year? I love Smith but he was declining and while he was our best WR that really was not saying a lot.

While every other team is going out and getting weapons for their QB, we have yet to bring in a weapon for Cam.  G-Man better not have any long pauses if asked about Cam this year, any steps taken backwards this year on offense are solely on him. 

We had no room for error on offense. and now two of our top five players are gone. 

So we are cutting loose the expensive older players that were part of a 26th ranked offense. What exactly is offensive?

Lets set the record straight.  I get it.  The money is absurd for the production received in return.  No problems with that at all.  So lets drop the whole "you guys are stupid because money..."

My issue is and always will be the way this was handled.  I don't care if Smitty and G-man worked things out.  Good for them that doesn't effect me at all.  The fans are the ones left with shock and no closure for the only thing we've consistently had to cheer for besides top-10 draft picks.  I know you guys are so much better at football because you can approach it with a business mentality and you don't care who wears the uniform as long as they win.  Whoopty doo for you. 

I on the other hand enjoy the passion and the players, learning about them, connecting with them.  That's what makes it real for me.  The Panthers have always preached about a family atmosphere and they just spit in the face of the greatest player to ever wear the uniform.  That disgusts me.  Even worse they gave the fans nothing.  No send off no proper ending just a leak to the press.

People think its about Smitty earning or being owed, its not, its about us who have watched this team since its inception and really knowing what SS meant to the franchise not getting to properly deal with him no longer being here. 

That's why its so offensive.

So one cannot be a fan of he players AND the team at the same time? I own a Smith jersey. He was one of the greatest Panthers of all time. We keep him this year and he is on the books through 2016 with a big ole salary.

I was at Carowinds for the 1st draft party so let's ease up on the "You don't know what he means to this franchise" talk.

Sorry but I get emotional about things that actually  "matter" in life...like Publix commercials

Lets set the record straight. I get it. The money is absurd for the production received in return. No problems with that at all. So lets drop the whole "you guys are stupid because money..."

My issue is and always will be the way this was handled. I don't care if Smitty and G-man worked things out. Good for them that doesn't effect me at all. The fans are the ones left with shock and no closure for the only thing we've consistently had to cheer for besides top-10 draft picks. I know you guys are so much better at football because you can approach it with a business mentality and you don't care who wears the uniform as long as they win. Whoopty doo for you.

I on the other hand enjoy the passion and the players, learning about them, connecting with them. That's what makes it real for me. The Panthers have always preached about a family atmosphere and they just spit in the face of the greatest player to ever wear the uniform. That disgusts me. Even worse they gave the fans nothing. No send off no proper ending just a leak to the press.

People think its about Smitty earning or being owed, its not, its about us who have watched this team since its inception and really knowing what SS meant to the franchise not getting to properly deal with him no longer being here.

That's why its so offensive.

Oh my God!!! This pied to infinity. You have so eloquently read my mind and exposed it on the huddle.

Well, whoever they bring in as the #1 WR will have his hands full.  I can already imagine the riot that will happen in here when whoever it is drops their first pass.  He will be comapred to the nth degree...hope he has thick skin.

Archived