• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All this Gettleman hate....

Varking

Listen very carefully, Steve leaving was NOT about money!!

not just about money, no, but anyone that thinks steve being scheduled to make 10 mil next year and 12 the year after didn't factor into the decision needs a head check.

Do they really have to be demeaned for expressing those opinions?

No, but you can't properly defend one side's right to say what they think and not the other's.

A: "In my opinion, this is dumb."

B: "Well in my opinion, your opinion is dumb."

A: "Oh yeah/  Well in my opinion, your opinion is dumb."

And so it goes...

I have no idea how people can possibly back Gettleman in this situation.

I will always be a Panthers fan but this was a dumb move and was handled really bad.

First off, you don't go to the media with your problems. It's awful that Smith had to find out that he was going to be released from reporters.

Secondly (if this was about money), why wasn't Smith to restructure. If this was about Smith needing to let other players grow, why was Smith not asked to take a back seat? Smith even said that he realizes that he's not a number one receiver anymore, so he might not have had a problem taking a back-seat while letting Newton and Kuechly lead.

Overall, this whole ordeal was handled really poorly and stuff like this usually comes back to haunt team that have done stuff like this in the past.

I have no idea how people can possibly back Gettleman in this situation.

I will always be a Panthers fan but this was a dumb move and was handled really bad.

First off, you don't go to the media with your problems. It's awful that Smith had to find out that he was going to be released from reporters.

Secondly (if this was about money), why wasn't Smith to restructure. If this was about Smith needing to let other players grow, why was Smith not asked to take a back seat? Smith even said that he realizes that he's not a number one receiver anymore, so he might not have had a problem taking a back-seat while letting Newton and Kuechly lead.

Overall, this whole ordeal was handled really poorly and stuff like this usually comes back to haunt team that have done stuff like this in the past.

Smith didn't find out he was going to be released via reporters.  That's a running misconception in this discussion.

Reporters latched on to the statement that he was "part of the evaluation process", but that's pretty much the only statement that came from the team at all on this topic.  The rest of it came from Smith or his agent.

Gettleman sat down with Smith on the 4th and advised him then that they were trying to trade him.  At that time he probably also said they might release him if it didn't work out.  Those facts becoming public made the process much more difficult.  And it's highly unlikely the team would have been the ones to leak it because a trade would have been more beneficial to their salary cap.

And yeah, they could have asked Smith to take a back seat, but knowing Smith do you really see that happening?

I know it sucks that Smitty didn't get the kind of happy ending he deserved, but truthfully, happy endings aren't the norm in the NFL.

Archived