• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Big Bowl of Sanity

Zod

Aside from the Steve Smith release, if you didn't see this offseason coming, you were not paying attention.

The 2013 team was studded with 1-year deal castaways. These players played their tails off, and benefited from an elite core (which remains with the team).

Had we finished with a record of say 8-8 or 9-7, we might have been able to keep Mitchell or Ginn. But when you win your division on the way to a 12-4 record, guys are going to get big offers from teams with dreams of the playoffs.

Gettleman and Co. are looking to the future. Why lock up a Ginn or Mitchell or Cap'n when viable replacements can and will be found for cheaper?

The idea is to get out of the cap troubles the team is currently in, all while saving enough dough to retain the superstars on the team.

Sustained success. Sustained success. Sustained success.

We are going through growing pains on the way to becoming a franchise that is relevant year in and year out. I think we will look back at this period as a major transition for the franchise. It's not easy, and it ain't pretty...but it's necessary.

I agree with this but I still don't think this team still has a corp that is good enough to compete for the playoffs every year. We shouldn't accept a down year for no reason. With a franchise QB and a top 5 defense.

Hey guys, at least we don't have the Oakland GM he has the most money and still fugged up in free agency, over paying over the hill players and letting there best players walk, and not even getting the LT they needed. We could be doing a lot worse.

All I see is why isn't DG doing something or why won't he sign someone anyone!

He makes offers to players he cannot physically make them come here! Collins had his choice and he saw fit that Tampa was his best option, it's not like DG is doing nothing, he's negotiating all day id assume like most GMs but when you have no money there's little leverage you have.

That is the issue....the fans just want a splash, regardless of whether it is the right or wrong move.

Only thing I disagree with is Captain. I can't say Thomas played better than him. Even White.

Captain was fantastic as a nickel DB. In fact he was one of the best in the league.

That said he is not worth that kind of money and if Minny plays him outside, they are in for a rude awakening.

ZOMG!  Rational thought!?  But we haven't signed all the FAs!  We're loosers!  Already!  In March!  Sell the Team!  Move to LA!  Fire EVERYONE!!  Burn!  Burn!  Burn!

Oh, not that kind of thread =P

While its hard to watch other kids open their presents (FAs), we have to understand its all part of the plan.  This time last year was just as crazy around here.  We all need to settle down, let it ride.  How often do teams that sign all the BIG $$$ FAs win it all?  It's all about being smart, finding guys for your system.

I'll miss Mitchell.  He was fun.  Ginn was exciting.  And Captain was a great story, who knew what to do with the ball in his hands.  I'm glad they are getting paid, and wish them well.  These guys were absolute cast offs last season.  And we went 12-4.  This year, we kept the best over all FA (according to several sites), have a majority of our important pieces coming back.  We just need to find the right players to fill in our roster spots.  For all the crying about the WR position, we can find a 600 yard / 5 TD any where.  The leadership void will be filled by Cam.  It's all part of G-man's desire to test and push Cam into a leadership role.

In Gettleman we trust!

Thank you Zod.. Finally some reason. You would think that huddlers, fans would learn from last year.  DG has proven to you that he knows what he's doing, he's not trying to build YOUR team, he's trying to build a dynasty, he's trying to rid the Panthers of mediocrity.  Steve Smith was just that, he was now... Average.. We don't want average from a #1 receiver.  Nobody on this forum has a clue what was said in there meeting, what options were given.  Steve Smith will not go out of this league gracefully, he will go out like TD and Ocho freaking Cinco.. I love him, he's a legend but it's the truth.  He thinks he is bigger than the Panthers and there is not one player who fits that description.  We want a Super Bowl, we are tired of the same ole,  year in and year out.. Just this once, we have a GM that makes a decision in which he KNOWS he will be hated, but he did it anyway, despite us, he did it knowing he would be demonized but he did it anyway.  You asked for it, you wanted it, now that you have it you don't want it anymore.  

I read a post recently about people missing Hurney because he spent money and wasn't afraid to make a splash.  How insane is that?  I compare it to this.. When I was 18 years old I was a punk, thought I knew everything.. My folks kicked me out of the house.. I hated them for it.  So much so that I joined the military and made a life for myself.  It hurt at the time but they were looking out for me.  DG is looking out for the Panthers.  Please, for the love of sweet mother Mary, RELAX!!!! You'll be sucking crow in 5 months.

i actually really appreciate this post Zod. perspective is always nice. i was worried about the direction of the franchise and i couldnt make sense of the flood of info and drama surrounding Smith's release. this post outlines the current state of the Panthers and our future direction quite nicely. well put good sir...

Archived