• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OL Options in the Draft - a Semi-In-Depth Look

Ruff

If I had to guess where the OT/OG's in this draft get drafted:

1st Round

OT- Greg Robinson- Top 5 (Gone)

OT- Jake Matthews- Top 10 (Gone)

OT- Taylor Lewan- Top 10- Mid 1st (Gone)

OT/OG- Zack Martin- Mid 1st (Gone)

OG- Xavier Su'a Filo- Late 1st (Not a big enough need)

OT- Morgan Moses- Late 1st- Early 2nd (Maybe, would prefer a WR or S)

2nd Round

OT- Cyrus Kouandjio- Early 2nd (Maybe as long as the knee checks out, more upside than Moses imo)

OG- David Yankey- Early 2nd (Not a big enough need)

OT- Billy Turner- Mid 2nd (Hope he doesn't rise this high, would love to take him with our 2nd especially because I consider him a potential franchise LT)

OG- Gabe Jackson- Mid to late 2nd (Wouldn't mind taking him in the 2nd, my favorite OG in the draft, more of a RG)

OT/OG- Brandon Thomas- Late 2nd (Like Thomas as well, flexible enough to play LT or OG)

3rd Round

OT/OG- Joel Bitano- Late 2nd to Early 3rd (I like Bitano better as a OG wouldn't mind him)

OT- Jawann James- Late 2nd to Early 3rd (Projects only as a RT)

OT- Seantreal Henderson- Early 3rd (Highly overdrafted)

OT- Jack Mewhort- Mid 3rd (Not very athletic, meh pick but would be a steal in the 3rd)

OG- Dakota Dozier- Mid 3rd (I think he'll be a solid LG)

OT- Antonio Richardson- Mid to late 3rd (Nonathletic and has injury concerns, would grab if desperate in the 3rd)

OT- James Hurst- Mid to late 3rd (Wildcard, could go anywhere from the 2nd to the 5th. More of a LT)

OG- Cyril Richardson- Late 3rd (Wouldn't mind in the 3rd)

OT- Cameron Fleming- Late 3rd to early 4th (Solid RT in the 3rd)

Sleeper pick- Kadeem Edwards OG/ Tennessee State (5th round)

Awesome post Ruff I gave you pie. I think Moses will make a good left tackle. You said you were concerned with his lateral quickness.

I think he moved well for 6'6 332 or 335. He is down to 316 which is almost 20 pounds. That will help anyone's lateral quickness. Plus at 6'6 those long arms will make a difference in protecting the blind side.

I get your concern, but after we whiffed on the left tackle from Cincinnati I would prefer Moses over Byron Bell. Bell moving to the left would make me a nervous wreck.

If I had to guess where the OT/OG's in this draft get drafted:

1st Round

OT- Greg Robinson- Top 5 (Gone)

OT- Jake Matthews- Top 10 (Gone)

OT- Taylor Lewan- Top 10- Mid 1st (Gone)

OT/OG- Zack Martin- Mid 1st (Gone)

OG- Xavier Su'a Filo- Late 1st (Not a big enough need)

OT- Morgan Moses- Late 1st- Early 2nd (Maybe, would prefer a WR or S)

2nd Round

OT- Cyrus Kouandjio- Early 2nd (Maybe as long as the knee checks out, more upside than Moses imo)

OG- David Yankey- Early 2nd (Not a big enough need)

OT- Billy Turner- Mid 2nd (Hope he doesn't rise this high, would love to take him with our 2nd especially because I consider him a potential franchise LT)

OG- Gabe Jackson- Mid to late 2nd (Wouldn't mind taking him in the 2nd, my favorite OG in the draft, more of a RG)

OT/OG- Brandon Thomas- Late 2nd (Like Thomas as well, flexible enough to play LT or OG)

3rd Round

OT/OG- Joel Bitano- Late 2nd to Early 3rd (I like Bitano better as a OG wouldn't mind him)

OT- Jawann James- Late 2nd to Early 3rd (Projects only as a RT)

OT- Seantreal Henderson- Early 3rd (Highly overdrafted)

OT- Jack Mewhort- Mid 3rd (Not very athletic, meh pick but would be a steal in the 3rd)

OG- Dakota Dozier- Mid 3rd (I think he'll be a solid LG)

OT- Antonio Richardson- Mid to late 3rd (Nonathletic and has injury concerns, would grab if desperate in the 3rd)

OT- James Hurst- Mid to late 3rd (Wildcard, could go anywhere from the 2nd to the 5th. More of a LT)

OG- Cyril Richardson- Late 3rd (Wouldn't mind in the 3rd)

OT- Cameron Fleming- Late 3rd to early 4th (Solid RT in the 3rd)

Sleeper pick- Kadeem Edwards OG/ Tennessee State (5th round)

Hey how do you feel about us going wide receiver in round 1 and offensive line in Round 2 and 3 ? For some reason I feel that would give us the best the best opportunity to be explosive on the offensive side of the ball.

Just curious because it looks as though you have dug deep into the line prospects.

I'm not saying it's a talent thing, especially if you would've read the blurb about him. But, Hurst is in a situation where his stock fell. And fell hard. I would rather have Billy Turner in the 2nd, than Hurst in the state he is in now.

I'll say that Hurst will still be there when we select in the 3rd. I'd be willing to bet on it.

Ruff I will pose the same question for you.

How do you feel about us going wide receiver in round 1 and offensive line in Round 2 and 3 ? I feel that would give us the best the best opportunity to be explosive on the offensive side.

Ruff I will pose the same question for you.

How do you feel about us going wide receiver in round 1 and offensive line in Round 2 and 3 ? I feel that would give us the best the best opportunity to be explosive on the offensive side.

I'd be more than happy to go WR in round 1. There's going to be talent there, whether it be Matthews (my favorite), OBJ, Benjamin, or other guys (I think cooks is gone by 20, and Lee isn't as good as advertised).

This draft is really deep on the offensive line. I think you can find awesome talent all the way from round 1 to round 7.

I watched brandon thomas when he played at clemson and no knock on him but I dont think he can handle playing LT. When playing against quality ends in college he didnt have the agility or balance to win the one on one matchups without help from RBs or TEs

"Smiling faces and beautiful places!" Charleston, SC

About Hurst--

Any player with LT ability is worth a second rounder.  Why would a temporary injury cause him to drop 3 rounds?  That is the same as Cyrus, who has a chronic condition. 

By being injured, Hurst missed the hoopla created by the draftniks n the press.  However, the pro scouts know the kid can play.  I will bet that he will be gone before we pick in the third round.

I also think the guy is player who is a student of the game and could play (taking his lumps) this year.  Watch him frustrate Clowney, then watch him vs. the rest of the ACC.

I have heard that he is RT only, but I disagree.

About Hurst--

Any player with LT ability is worth a second rounder.  Why would a temporary injury cause him to drop 3 rounds?  That is the same as Cyrus, who has a chronic condition. 

By being injured, Hurst missed the hoopla created by the draftniks n the press.  However, the pro scouts know the kid can play.  I will bet that he will be gone before we pick in the third round.

I also think the guy is player who is a student of the game and could play (taking his lumps) this year.  Watch him frustrate Clowney, then watch him vs. the rest of the ACC.

I have heard that he is RT only, but I disagree.

I think the other prospects really rose up when Hurst went down, showing what the other guys could do. Dudes like Billy Turner really began sticking out, as far as a future franchise LT goes. To me, I'd rather have Turner over Hurst, but I can see the appeal of both. In fact, if we could get Turner in the 2nd and Hurst in the 3rd, we would have solidified both ends of our offensive line for the next, who knows how long.

Archived