• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I met Jimmy Clausen last night

8 0 5

Clausen was not mentally ready before he even stepped on the field. That team was 2-14 because of Jimmy Clausen. Sure we had a weak o-line but we still had Steve Smith, LaFell, and a David Gettis that wanted to play football. 

The team was not the reason Clausen would never throw down field. All he ever did was check down. He simply played like a chicken and didn't want to throw picks. That same squad was competitive with Matt Moore at QB. He's the guy we should feel sorry for.

Fox was furious with the Clausen Pick because he was a pick for the future when fox needed to win now.   He and Hurney were not communicating during that draft--the one that produced such wonderful selections such as Lafell, Norwood, Edwards, etc.

He treated Clausen like an unwanted step child--a token in the war with Hurney.  People forget that part of Clausen's development.

I am not defending Clausen's production, but if you would have cut reps in OTAs and  training camp and then preseason for a 21-year old Peyton Manning and put him in that mess with that OC and a lame-duck head coach, he just might not be Peyton Manning.

Clausen's stats that year were very close to the more experienced, coached-up, and seasoned Moore.  I think Clausen had a 54 QB rating to Moore's 57.  Moore had experience and first team reps through OTAs, camp and preseason.  Apples and oranges.

Clausen was never given a snowball's chance to succeed.  Talk about the checkdowns if you want, but f you don't look at the big picture, you cannot see my point.

Archived