• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Colin Cole re-signs with Panthers

PantherFeez

NFLTradeRumors.com:

"According to Pro Football Focus , Cole was the No. 61 defensive tackle out of 69 qualifying players last year and struggled in both run and pass defense."

Panthers blog's 2013 season review:

"Colin Cole

Defensive Statistics: played in 316 of the Panthers' 1036 defensive snaps for 30.5% of defensive snaps, 17 total tackles, 1 sack

Cole was highly ineffective when on the field, graded poorly on a consistent basis by PFF, and by all rights should not “start” another game for the Panthers. The best that could be said is that Cole was a “serviceable” role-player, but if he enters the 2014 season as any more than depth we should all be very surprised."

Yep, he really held back our second ranked defense!

NFLTradeRumors.com:

"According to Pro Football Focus , Cole was the No. 61 defensive tackle out of 69 qualifying players last year and struggled in both run and pass defense."

Panthers blog's 2013 season review:

"Colin Cole

Defensive Statistics: played in 316 of the Panthers' 1036 defensive snaps for 30.5% of defensive snaps, 17 total tackles, 1 sack

Cole was highly ineffective when on the field, graded poorly on a consistent basis by PFF, and by all rights should not “start” another game for the Panthers. The best that could be said is that Cole was a “serviceable” role-player, but if he enters the 2014 season as any more than depth we should all be very surprised."

yeah we have two budding blue chip defensive tackles so that's what his role is.  i mean who didn't know this.

Cole was out of football for 2 years so it is understandable that he would struggle some particularly early.But he was very instrumental to our defense when Star hit the rookie wall around game 12 or 13.  PFF is a fine site for what it does but the problem with any site like that is that evaluating a player without knowing what the defensive scheme was that was called and what his individual responsibilities are on each play often will grade a player based on subjective criteria which gets passed off as an objective analysis.

Cole was out of football for 2 years so it is understandable that he would struggle some particularly early.But he was very instrumental to our defense when Star hit the rookie wall around game 12 or 13.  PFF is a fine site for what it does but the problem with any site like that is that evaluating a player without knowing what the defensive scheme was that was called and what his individual responsibilities are on each play often will grade a player based on subjective criteria which gets passed off as an objective analysis.

yee

I have pff access and his grade was pitiful. I will say that a very few Good or bad plays or games can kill a seasonal grade and year to year their grades change massively. All that said I've gone back and watched some games and I watched cole get pushed around all over the place. He barely made any impact plays on top of that. absolutely no harm in resigning him to a minimum contract but that is a roster spot we can improve upon. He may have "started" for us but he played less that a third of our downs.

Im intrigued as if dwan Edwards is still on the roster? If so I wonder the chances of him being cut (not that I necessarily advocate it) are.Pretty sure it would save 1-2mil.

Star, short, cole, Edwards, and gaydosh (assuming we give the Canadian a chance) seems a bit crowded at DT but with that kind of depth thats not a bad problem to have at all

Im intrigued as if dwan Edwards is still on the roster? If so I wonder the chances of him being cut (not that I necessarily advocate it) are.Pretty sure it would save 1-2mil.

Star, short, cole, Edwards, and gaydosh (assuming we give the Canadian a chance) seems a bit crowded at DT but with that kind of depth thats not a bad problem to have at all

didnt the panthers start with 5 defensive tackles last year?

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Aaron Wilson recently tweeted the contract details.

Colin Cole one-year Panthers deal $1.125 million, $855,000 salary, $175,000 bonus, $3,125 per game active roster bonus $45,000 workout bonus

@RavensInsider

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Aaron Wilson recently tweeted the contract details.

Colin Cole one-year Panthers deal $1.125 million, $855,000 salary, $175,000 bonus, $3,125 per game active roster bonus $45,000 workout bonus

@RavensInsider

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Thanks Baltimore Ravens NFL correspondent.  Our writer was tweeting about how he can make soup with 23 packets of Arby's sauce and some old cabbage.

Archived