• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does arm length (OT) really matter?

mr beauxjangles

yes.

a very smart man once told me- "in order to answer a question, exaggerate the situation"(doesnt always work, but a simple solution most times) one OT has 10in arms the other has 40in, who has the advance? 40in man. boxing list reach, if i can swing and hit and at the same distance you can not, you have a problem. DE typically have long arms, if OT is able to make contact first hes able to control. its just harder to overcome a long armed DE, with short arms. not impossible, just more difficult.  

Although I'm not a big Bill Polian fan, I did think his explanation about all measureables made the most sense from a team's perspective. He said that most teams have certain benchmarks by position for all of the combine parts. A player is either on one side or the other of these benchmarks and if they're on the wrong side, they're considered an exception. Short arms would be considered an exception. Could that player be oustanding or even pro bowler, sure, but he would still be an exception. But according to Bill Parcells, once you start taking exceptions, you find yourself with a team of exceptions and these teams don't win Super Bowls. So many teams set certain bechmarks where they will even take the player off the board even if they drop to the late rounds. This is the reason you see great college players drop, because they might have,run the short shuttle over a certain time and have been completely dropped from boards because of it.

yes.

a very smart man once told me- "in order to answer a question, exaggerate the situation"(doesnt always work, but a simple solution most times) one OT has 10in arms the other has 40in, who has the advance? 40in man. boxing list reach, if i can swing and hit and at the same distance you can not, you have a problem. DE typically have long arms, if OT is able to make contact first hes able to control. its just harder to overcome a long armed DE, with short arms. not impossible, just more difficult.  

You didn't exaggerate both sides equally. If one player has 10 inch arms, the other should have 60 inch arms, which would be more of a hindrance than help. I could as easily say one player has 30 inch arms, and the other has 1 mile long arms and can't even lift them, so obviously short arms are better.

We're talking about a matter of 1/4 inch between Zack Martin (who is criticized for short arms) and Jordan Gross (annual pro bowler).

IMO, it depends on the position, and the playerz.

Some players do more things well, so short arms are not an issue.

Some players do fewer things well, so short arms are just another issue.

If you can play, especially with success, no one cares how fugging long your arms are.

You didn't exaggerate both sides equally. If one player has 10 inch arms, the other should have 60 inch arms, which would be more of a hindrance than help. I could as easily say one player has 30 inch arms, and the other has 1 mile long arms and can't even lift them, so obviously short arms are better.

We're talking about a matter of 1/4 inch between Zack Martin (who is criticized for short arms) and Jordan Gross (annual pro bowler).

i use a average of 25in for starting point. +/- 15in is extreme for me. for a moment forget about sports, you have to add 10in or subtract 10in form your arms; which do you choose? goodluck wiping your @ss and driving if choosing subtract. of course you'd have to find a tailor for the long arms also.

.25 is small. if you have the choice, preferred it on the longer. DEs are the reason you want longer arms, cause they have long arms. again whoever makes contract first has the advantage. maybe the best DL jj watt talked about reaching with one arm rather than two, cause anyone reaches father with one than two. just like weight the length of arms is growing, with the natural evolution of sports. 

Archived