• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CarolinaNCSU's First and Last Mock Draft

CarolinaNCSU

I'm bored, which mean's I'm going to make a mock draft. Could be a bit of a dream scenario draft, but I'll try being as realistic as possible. No trades, and focusing heavily on our positions of need (OT/WR)

1st Round - Morgan Moses - OT

ncf_i_moses01_200.jpg

My ideal 1st rounder pick, we find our future LT to protect Cam. He could struggle some, but he's an upgrade over Bell/Chandler/whatever no name currently on the roster or a cheap vet we could find. Get it done, GMan.

2nd Round - Jordan Matthews - WR

matthews.jpg

Plenty of WR options on the board I'd be fine with, if still available like Latimer/Richardson but I'm going with Matthews should he still be there. He's got size, 4.4 speed, and made plays in the SEC. I wouldn't hate the pick in the 1st, but a lot of mocks have him in the middle of the 2nd and I could see him falling to us. I could also see a potential OT double dip should Cyrus fall this far. While ignoring WR in both the 1st and 2nd, a draft giving us Moses/Cyrus could pay dividends

3rd Round -  Pierre Desir - CB

532a420fb82f7.preview-620.jpg

What would be a Panthers' draft without a small school pick? Desir has great potential at 6'3" and is the type of CB Gettleman seemingly wants. From what I've read, his technique needs improving, but the athleticism is there. Want to improve an already great defense? Give them a tall, athletic corner who can make plays. Stanley-Jean Baptiste also an option here, or double up on WR. 

4th Round - James Hurst - OT

james-hurst-299x350.jpg

Protect Cam. What better way to do so, than grabbing another OT who had a 1st-2nd round grade before his injury? Between Hurst and Moses, we should find at least one starter at OT. Hurst has played LT and is better suited there, but could play RT if need be or just provide solid depth. The talent is there, and at worst we get a coachable kid with tons of experience to provide depth along our line. 

5th Round - Brandon Coleman- WR

11841459-large.jpg

Maybe a bit of a dream scenario, but the potential with Coleman would be great in the 5th round. His size would be a great target for Cam, especially in the redzone. Coleman and Matthews flanked out wide at 6'6" and 6'3" respectively? Good luck to opposing corners. Doesn't have great speed and inconsistent hands, but at worst we give Cam a big target with potential if Proehl can coach him up. He may very well be gone by this point in the draft, but I've seen various outlets put a 3rd day grade on him, so maybe we get lucky and he falls to this point. 

6th Round - Ross Cockrell - CB

hi-res-135a9220b3cc418119fbc6101b7a07bb_

A smaller CB, but could be our future Nickle or at least special teams help. Smart player, great awareness and even been described as a coach on the field. At this point, taking a flyer on a 1st Team All-ACC player at a position of need makes too much sense not to do. Could fit right into our defense and become a heady player in our secondary ready to make plays and create turnovers. 

7th Round - Michael Campanaro - WR

130304120116-michael-campanaro-single-im

Anyone who has watched their team play Wake over the last few years know this kid. Small, nothing special at the next level, but makes plays and always finds a hole in coverage. He's a slippery dude who we could run out of the slot. I don't see him being anything special or even seeing the field that much in the NFL, but he's a play-maker. I say give him a shot. 

The way I feel about this is simple. Moses, to me, is a RT in the NFL. He's stiff, but he's powerful. He's also much more of a run blocker than a finesse pass protector. Which is fine, but expecting him to come in and play LT is going to be an issue. With that being said, the addition of Hurst in the 4th really makes up for that. Hurst is going to be a true LT in the NFL. He is the antithesis of Moses, a finesse player who can move backwards and can react as opposed to relying on straight-forward power off the line.

Jordan Matthews, if he's there in the 2nd, would be amazing. I think he's one of the best WRs in this year's draft. Which brings me to Coleman and Campanaro. 3 WRs in the Draft seems like a lot, even with the situation as is. Avant and Cotchery are going to make the team next year, and there seems to be some sort of love for McNutt and King. Adding three more on top of those four, plus Underwood and Pilares, makes for a really awkward preseason.

The way I feel about this is simple. Moses, to me, is a RT in the NFL. He's stiff, but he's powerful. He's also much more of a run blocker than a finesse pass protector. Which is fine, but expecting him to come in and play LT is going to be an issue. With that being said, the addition of Hurst in the 4th really makes up for that. Hurst is going to be a true LT in the NFL. He is the antithesis of Moses, a finesse player who can move backwards and can react as opposed to relying on straight-forward power off the line.

Jordan Matthews, if he's there in the 2nd, would be amazing. I think he's one of the best WRs in this year's draft. Which brings me to Coleman and Campanaro. 3 WRs in the Draft seems like a lot, even with the situation as is. Avant and Cotchery are going to make the team next year, and there seems to be some sort of love for McNutt and King. Adding three more on top of those four, plus Underwood and Pilares, makes for a really awkward preseason.

The WR issue was something I fought with, and basically threw in Campanro in the 7th just because it's the 7th. In real life, I'd see who was BPA there and probably go defense or TE. I was mostly just lazy and didn't care to look up guys who may be there and if they'd be fits for us. Almost the same for Coleman, as I'd like to have 2 legit WRs come out of this draft, but a TE instead of him would be acceptable as well. I just like the idea of giving Cam a huge target on the outside...especially one who can essentially block CBs out in the endzone on a jump ball. 

I'm bored, which mean's I'm going to make a mock draft. Could be a bit of a dream scenario draft, but I'll try being as realistic as possible. No trades, and focusing heavily on our positions of need (OT/WR)

1st Round - Morgan Moses - OT

ncf_i_moses01_200.jpg

My ideal 1st rounder pick, we find our future LT to protect Cam. He could struggle some, but he's an upgrade over Bell/Chandler/whatever no name currently on the roster or a cheap vet we could find. Get it done, GMan.

2nd Round - Jordan Matthews - WR

matthews.jpg

Plenty of WR options on the board I'd be fine with, if still available like Latimer/Richardson but I'm going with Matthews should he still be there. He's got size, 4.4 speed, and made plays in the SEC. I wouldn't hate the pick in the 1st, but a lot of mocks have him in the middle of the 2nd and I could see him falling to us. I could also see a potential OT double dip should Cyrus fall this far. While ignoring WR in both the 1st and 2nd, a draft giving us Moses/Cyrus could pay dividends

3rd Round -  Pierre Desir - CB

532a420fb82f7.preview-620.jpg

What would be a Panthers' draft without a small school pick? Desir has great potential at 6'3" and is the type of CB Gettleman seemingly wants. From what I've read, his technique needs improving, but the athleticism is there. Want to improve an already great defense? Give them a tall, athletic corner who can make plays. Stanley-Jean Baptiste also an option here, or double up on WR. 

4th Round - James Hurst - OT

james-hurst-299x350.jpg

Protect Cam. What better way to do so, than grabbing another OT who had a 1st-2nd round grade before his injury? Between Hurst and Moses, we should find at least one starter at OT. Hurst has played LT and is better suited there, but could play RT if need be or just provide solid depth. The talent is there, and at worst we get a coachable kid with tons of experience to provide depth along our line. 

5th Round - Brandon Coleman- WR

11841459-large.jpg

Maybe a bit of a dream scenario, but the potential with Coleman would be great in the 5th round. His size would be a great target for Cam, especially in the redzone. Coleman and Matthews flanked out wide at 6'6" and 6'3" respectively? Good luck to opposing corners. Doesn't have great speed and inconsistent hands, but at worst we give Cam a big target with potential if Proehl can coach him up. He may very well be gone by this point in the draft, but I've seen various outlets put a 3rd day grade on him, so maybe we get lucky and he falls to this point. 

6th Round - Ross Cockrell - CB

hi-res-135a9220b3cc418119fbc6101b7a07bb_

A smaller CB, but could be our future Nickle or at least special teams help. Smart player, great awareness and even been described as a coach on the field. At this point, taking a flyer on a 1st Team All-ACC player at a position of need makes too much sense not to do. Could fit right into our defense and become a heady player in our secondary ready to make plays and create turnovers. 

7th Round - Michael Campanaro - WR

130304120116-michael-campanaro-single-im

Anyone who has watched their team play Wake over the last few years know this kid. Small, nothing special at the next level, but makes plays and always finds a hole in coverage. He's a slippery dude who we could run out of the slot. I don't see him being anything special or even seeing the field that much in the NFL, but he's a play-maker. I say give him a shot. 

1- Good

2-Good

3- Don't see the attraction never liked Desir

4- good value pick with no complications from injury clearly at least a 2nd round talent.Wonder if he would be there in 4th?

5- I think of all the WR's I like him least, hands of stone , he is tall so if he played at Va Tech he would have been a QB. Do not like at all.

6- more of the same , we have plenty backup talent at CB already.

7- OK for a 7th but we could get better playmakers @ 5,6

I don't think Coleman will be there in the 5th.  I'm hoping we use our 3rd on him because I don't think there's any chance he lasts to our 4th.  I DO NOT want Moses with our 1st, but if we could somehow get Matthews with our second it would completely ease my frustration with the 1st pick.  I'd want Matthews with our 1st if Watkins, Evans, Lee aren't there.  It'd be a toss up between Matthews and OBJ.  I can dig the rest of your draft too.

Archived