• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Melvin White: From Undrafted to Inspiration.

bleys

It used to bother cornerback Melvin White that he wasn't drafted. There was a stigma that seemingly came with it, like he wasn't good enough to be among the top 224 players in the country. 

"Ah, man! Your guess is as good as mine," the second-year Carolina Panthers player said Tuesday when asked why he wasn't drafted. "I have moved past it." 

He should. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/7642/panthers-white-goes-from-undrafted-to-inspiration

I love Mel. Was fortunate enough to talk to him the other day briefly and get an autograph. Everybody there looking for autographs didn't know who he was so he'd walk by and sign none. I was happy to let him know that he's been noticed and appreciated, and happy to get his autograph.

Granted, I am biased, but am I the only one worried about Gettleman's age and apparent lack of concern over his own physical well-being?

The guy is great and keeps impressing me with his apparent ability to see things others cannot.

Seems like if given a few years to work his magic, would could be perennial contenders for a looooooooong time to come.

I just don't want his fattass keeling over next week because of a colon blockage or sumshit.

Someone get the 63 year old Bobby Hill (pants and all) into the gym.

I would think in many cases being a UDFA can be better than being drafted in the 7th round for example.  That way you can choose who you play for and pick the team where you feel that you have the best shot at making the team.  White was in the perfect situation to make the squad and start given how weak we were in the secondary.  Anyone think the same thing would have happened if he were drafted in the 7th round by Seattle or most any other team really. The same with Lester and even Bell who was also a UDFA when he was picked up.  With our cap issues we have to rely on rookies and little known guys to come up big for us until we straighten things out.  Then again if Gettleman has the success he did last year given the massive changes he made,it is only going to embolden him to believe that he can keep dumping guys who are up for a big payday and finding their replacement every year.  We will be known as the place to go to get noticed so you can get your payday elsewhere.  A one or two year stop on the way up. 

Granted, I am biased, but am I the only one worried about Gettleman's age and apparent lack of concern over his own physical well-being?

The guy is great and keeps impressing me with his apparent ability to see things others cannot.

Seems like if given a few years to work his magic, would could be perennial contenders for a looooooooong time to come.

I just don't want his fattass keeling over next week because of a colon blockage or sumshit.

Someone get the 63 year old Bobby Hill (pants and all) into the gym.

I think about that every time I see a photo..

Hopefully Gettlemen is fine.  He is doing exactly what he has wanted to do for the past 30 years.  He won't be spoiling the ride by dropping over dead if he can help it.  As long as he doesn't smoke or drink like a fish he might be fine.  I think I read somewhere that if you made it into your mid sixties you had a good chance of being around for the next 10 years.  I could have made that up too......

Archived