• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wow, we've all heard about Kelvin Benjamin during Preseason. And we've speculated about his impact on the field (for both himself, and fellow Panther receivers), especially after his spectacular  preseason game catch Friday.

Well So has Mike Shula. He appears very excited about all the new Panther additions, and what they can do for his offense and various new formations and sets he can run this year that he couldn't necessarily run last year.

Of course, much of this excitement starts with rookie Kelvin Benjamin, then moves forward to others (Olsen, Cotchery, Dickson, Avant). Here's a few snippets from David Newton's article on Mike Shula excitement of the "New" Panther Offense

The Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator still is learning everything these new toys can do, but he likes what he's seen so far -- particularly from a certain 6-foot-5, 240-pound gadget after his spectacular catch in Friday night's 20-18 preseason loss to Buffalo.

Shula believes he has flexibility to have more fun with this new toys than his old ones, and that has the potential to make his offense better than a year ago.

"Yeah!" Shula said. "Heck yeah!"

Here are Newton and Shula again, after Newton writes about the 29th ranked Panther Passing offense and receivers in 2013

But it was obvious the offense needed an overhaul if the overall team was to improve. That's why Shula is excited about his new toys, particularly as it pertains to his new wide receivers -- rookie Kelvin Benjamin (the 6-5 toy), veterans Jerricho Cotchery and Jason Avant -- and tight end Ed Dickson.

"It been great," Shula said. "They've come in with a workmanlike attitude, very serious, eager to prove themselves and earn a spot on the team. Competition is a beautiful thing. These guys get along good."

This next line here, says a mouthful many of us have already known.

Shula isn't dishing on his old toys. But wide receiver Steve Smith, who was released in March, is 35 and at the end of his career. He didn't always get along. Brandon LaFell, Ted Ginn Jr. and Domenik Hixon were adequate, but not irreplaceable.

Sometimes you have to tear things apart to move forward. That's what Carolina has done.

"We're starting over with guys that are knowledgeable, that are smart guys, that there's a reason why they've been in the league," Shula said. "They're new, but it's kind of been a positive thing."

Here, Shula speaks about Benjamin, the reclamation our beloved Two TE Set formations, and their respective impact on the Panther offense, and opposing defenses in 2014.

He's emerged as a No. 1 receiver that the 5-9 Smith admittedly wasn't anymore.

"He's such a big target, it has to give you more confidence as a quarterback, like a jump shooter with a basket that is twice as big," Shula said.

Dickson, a free agent pickup from Baltimore, also was a big addition. Putting him opposite Greg Olsen, the team's leading receiver in 2013, in a two-tight end set has opened possibilities that Shula didn't have last season.

Defenses will have to commit eight players to the box, which will prevent double-teams on receivers and free up the entire offense.

"It gives you flexibility," Shula said. "It makes you less predictable by personnel groupings. So if all of a sudden you come in with two tight ends, you're not necessarily going to run the ball, you're not necessarily going to be in single-back, you're not necessarily going to have two tight ends on the edge

"So now the defense can't just say, 'Oh, well, they're just going to play these formations, and out of these formations they're going to run just these plays.'"

Lastly, Shula's very excited about Cam Newton's sharpness and leadership, despite his ankle recovery:

At the core of Shula's excitement is Newton. The only thing sharper than his timing with receivers has been his leadership. Nobody has been more active in encouraging players who do well and motivating them when they need pushing.

"With all that there's a calmness and confidence," Shula said of the fourth-year quarterback. "He's always had that cool personality on the field. Now there's some added confidence with experience."

Old toys, new toys.

Shula has a lot more to play with now.

I loved how Shula discussed the impact and unpredictability of formations on the defense which KB and two TE sets can bring. This is something Panther fans have longed for from their OC the past year. I'm glad Shula sees what many of us see. Hopefully, he and Ramsdall will know how to properly utilize them, and Panther fans will see a return of both the big play offense (20+ yd plays), and Big sure handed possession receivers/TE's--of two seasons ago--moving the chains?  I think/hope they will (do it, and we'll see it)!? It may even open up the struggling run game with space, and a less crowded LOS?

I know many of us have not been in love with Shula so far; granted. However, it appears Shula and Co, only worked with what they had last year (to great team success). So let's give them a chance in 2014 with a more versatile offense, particularly in the receivers and Tight Ends. Hopefully, one of the RB's shows up as well?

National Media, get ready for another Panther "surprise" in 2014.

Now only if they can find someone to run back Punts and Kick off returns adequately. :phew:

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers

Unlike last season, where LaFell, Hixon, and Ginn were all guys who needed to prove they could produce, this season's imports are vets with respectable stats. They may be new toys for Shula, but all you have to do is wind 'em up and they go where you want 'em to.

I'll just be happy with an adequate running game not featuring cam Newton.

Sent from my SM-N900P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I know it's just preseason, but I fear that our passing game is going to need to open up our running game.  :

I'll just be happy with an adequate running game not featuring cam Newton.

Sent from my SM-N900P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Good Gosh.

You think.

I know Cam's probably tired of getting hit on those read options (though he'd do it again).

I only want to see Cam scramble when they play breaks down this year.

Okay, maybe a few set run plays. But no more than 2 a game.

Hopefully, with the added TE's and Tolbert, Cam will never have to run the ball in the endzone, unless he's untouched, again. Lol

I know it's just preseason, but I fear that our passing game is going to need to open up our running game.  :

why would you fear that? as long as it happens.

i think that it will definitely take the passing game to open up the run game, but i don't see that as a bad thing. it's just something that needs to happen, but isn't that unusual. usually either the run game is needed to open up the passing game or the passing game is opening up the run game. it doesn't really matter which of those happens just as long as both parts of the game opens up. it's incredibly rare to have a team that doesn't need one to open up the other.

the problem with shula and the toys that he has is that he reminds me of a toy collector that hordes toys and dreams about all the wonderful things that can be done with these toys, but keeps them in a box on the shelf.

a toy kept in a box is useless, btw. i don't care how much financial value it has, it's true purpose is to be played with and that's where it's real value is.

all these toys that shula has now will be worthless unless they are used. he has to open up this offense and he's going to really have to work hard to go against that conservative nature of his to use them fully.

Shula could have Brady or Manning at QB, Rice or Harrison at WR, and Sanders or Smith at RB, and still be mediocre at best as an OC.  When the fug are the media pinheads going to wake up and realize if his last name was Jones or Smith and not Shula that he might be coaching high school ball if he was lucky.

Archived