• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2013 - 2014 Wide Receiver Comparisons

Jeremy Igo

In all fairness, so far the Panthers are throwing the ball a lot more this year compared to last year (109 attempts through 3 games this year compared to 88 last year). Of course you could make the argument that they're doing so because they feel they have better receivers...but I think it's more that Shula recognizes our o-line struggles with run-blocking (in addition to DeAngelo's injury).

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is how obvious it is that we have a true #1 receiver now. Look at KB's stats compared to the rest of our receivers this year....and compare that to how even the yardage is for our receivers last year. Some people like seeing that even ball distribution but I like knowing we have a true go-to guy...a rookie at that.

I was actually just asking because I could swear he only has 1 TD and that was on a return. His receiving stats according to ESPN are 3 rec off 6 targets for 37 yards, no TD.  

He had one touch down return last preseason and if I recall it was called back due to a penalty.

I think the change in WR has negatively affected our overall production, but not because of WR #s. Here's what I mean: Last year teams had to worry about us beating them deep with Ginn and Smith (yes he has slowed from his earlier years, but teams still have to be concerned about him getting behind the coverage like he has a few times this year). We do need a deep threat to pair with KB. And, yes KB may get deep a few times, but for the most part he is not going to line up and blow by folks. That lack of a deep threat also hurts our run game, along with the OL being worse and Cam being banged up. 

I do think Cam will work out of his current situation and I also think the OL will gradually improve this year. But a deep threat (worth anything) at WR is not going to walk through that door until the off season. Until then we will have to try our best to get this offense going as it is currently built. And, for the record I do really like our WRs and I think not having Cotchery hurt us this week, but I would love them if we could get that speed guy to add to the mix. 

The unintended consequences of a bad o line are quick throws. Which actually seem to work with this team.

With our Oline, I don't know why Cam isn't dropping 3 steps and getting rid of the ball.  Having these long developing plays is killing us when we can't provide time for them to develop.  Also, Cam needs an outlet on every passing play, whether its a RB or the second TE  or whoever, so he knows he always has that option should he start feeling pressure. 

Archived