• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Cosell talks Cam and the Saints game

Johnny Rockets

Also less than a month ago Cosell was singing Newton's praises.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/greg-cosell-s-week-5-analysis--cam-newton-s-improvement-is-clear-175643535.html

This is why commentary from week to week is rather futile. You need an entire season to judge a quarterback.

You are implying that Cosell's opinion of Cam has changed compared to that article and it hasn't.

In that article, he talks about how Cam's injury has helped him grow as a QB. In the interview he was asked to break down Cam's performance in the Saints game. Two totally different scenarios. 

Each week he has a guest spot where he breaks down the game tape from the previous Panther's game so of course it is going to be a week to week analysis. 

I've been listening to Cosell for a long time and he is not some ESPN hack throwing stuff out there to see what sticks and he is as agendaless (not sure if that's even a word)  as they come. 

No, Cam hasn't had 3 crappy games in a row. The Panthers in General have had 3 crappy games. Cam had 1 bad game. Thanks for coming out sport. Perhaps you should actually watch the games prior to posting and making yourself look foolish.

Cam has 22 completions in the past two games....so, he definitely has had 2 crappy games in a row.

You are implying that Cosell's opinion of Cam has changed compared to that article and it hasn't.

In that article, he talks about how Cam's injury has helped him grow as a QB. In the interview he was asked to break down Cam's performance in the Saints game. Two totally different scenarios. 

Each week he has a guest spot where he breaks down the game tape from the previous Panther's game so of course it is going to be a week to week analysis. 

I've been listening to Cosell for a long time and he is not some ESPN hack throwing stuff out there to see what sticks and he is as agendaless (not sure if that's even a word)  as they come. 

Nope. My entire point was in order to adequately judge a QB you need the entire body of work, which is the entire season. It's not over yet.

I've made no attempt to bash Cosell here.

In that article, he talks about how Cam's injury has helped him grow as a QB. In the interview he was asked to break down Cam's performance in the Saints game. Two totally different scenarios.

I've been listening to Cosell for a long time and he is not some ESPN hack throwing stuff out there to see what sticks and he is as agendaless (not sure if that's even a word) as they come.

Yep. Cosell has been pretty consistent in his opinions and he's one of the better, more objective analysts out there.

I know folks sometimes judge how good an analyst someone is based on whether they say good things about our favorite players or not, but you have to try to be a little more objective than that.

Pretty sure if you go back to prior threads where Cosell was talking about Newton more positively, you'll find plenty of praise for his analytical skills.

To be fair Hatter, you need to mention the number of attempts in order to really put that in context.

OK.....

He was 22 for 50.....or 44%.  He was just over 50% in the Seattle game and a god awful 35% completion % in the Saints game.

Those are terrible numbers.

When your QB throws the ball 50 times on top of being 3 yards shy of the leading rusher for the day, it's not going to go so well.

I agree that the offense has issues all over the place....bad OL Play...no speed at WR...questionable play calling.  BUT...Cam has looke BAD the past few games.

I hope it is just a funk and he (along with the rest of the offense) get the ship righted.

I agree that the offense has issues all over the place....bad OL Play...no speed at WR...questionable play calling.  BUT...Cam has looke BAD the past few games.

I hope it is just a funk and he (along with the rest of the offense) get the ship righted.

Here's some information for everyone regarding the struggles Newton has been supposedly having the last three games.

In the Saints loss, Newton had 43 yards rushing, Stewart was the leader with 46.

In the Seattle loss, Newton had 24 yards rushing, Stewart was the leader with 79.

In the Green Bay loss, Newton had 41 yards rushing, Stewart was the leader with 50.

The one game where one of our RB's was the leading rusher by a significant margin, we only lost by 4 points.

We want to be a run first team, and when we can't run, our QB has to take over. Generally we don't win those games, it's that simple.

Here's some information for everyone regarding the struggles Newton has been supposedly having the last three games.

In the Saints loss, Newton had 43 yards rushing, Stewart was the leader with 46.

In the Seattle loss, Newton had 24 yards rushing, Stewart was the leader with 79.

In the Green Bay loss, Newton had 41 yards rushing, Stewart was the leader with 50.

The one game where one of our RB's was the leading rusher by a significant margin, we only lost by 4 points.

We want to be a run first team, and when we can't run, our QB has to take over. Generally we don't win those games, it's that simple.

To be fair, there was no reason we couldn't run against the Saints, in particular.  Stewart was averaging 5.8 yds per carry, and only touched the ball 8 times.  When he is putting out that kind of production, feed him the fuging rock!  Cam shouldn't have had to shoulder that game IMO.

Manning still completed 59% of his passes and had an 81qb rating in his crappy game. Oh ya he threw for over 400 yards as well. I would love for those to be Cam's crappy games.

You mean, like in his first year, when he has criticized for throwing too much....?

People on this board kill me.

He had a game that he could have done better, big flip.

Newton is the very last of the Panthers problems right now; but, he is the easy mark.

Go back and look at the film of that game and you will see things different.

If I were him, the next time I had rib injuries and coming off surgery, I think I'd be a little more selfish and say 'next man up, have fun out there Derek'.

Archived