• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SOTU - How would you fill in our roster holes to get us above 7-9?

SCP

Bye week State of the Union.  This season, while we are still mathematically in it, is pretty much water under the bridge.  It fuging sucks ass.  Since we are entering the bye week of a shitty season, i'm curious what you guys and gals think about the roster.  I for one think Rivera and McDermott are back next year.  I assume we might go a different direction in the OC department but this team does not seem to follow the traditional blue print and Nippleshorts is still establishing his reign over things.  So assuming the coaching staff remains in tact for "continuity sake" or out of sheer laziness and lack of creativity or willingness to spend what it takes because shareholders need ROI, the meat of our first team roster is below.  Outside of much needed depth, we have 7 real needs that must be filled to even be somewhat respectable.  We need a WR2, a LT and a RT on offense. I am not sold on Klein and White on the defensive side of the ball and we have obvious needs at safety unless Colin Jones keeps up his solid play.  Who know's about CJ, we could have two holes at DE if he and Hardy are both gone which may be the likely scenario.  Unfortunately I think 2015 will be another table scraps free agency grab so we might see Bell at RT and a draft pick or low tier free agent at LT.  Factoring the salary cap and the draft, fill in the blanks below with your best case scenarios for each of the 7 needs.  See if you can create a roster that will make us better than 7-9.

Offensive First Unit:

WR1 - KB

WR2 - _____

WR3 - Phily

TE - Olsen

TE2 - Swole/Dickson

LT - ______

LG - Turner

C - Khalil

RG - Norwell

RT - _______

FB - Tolbert

RB - Stewart/Whitaker

QB - Cam

Defensive First Unit:

DE - CJ

DE - Ealy

DT - Star

DT - KK

LB - T Davis

LB - Luke

LB - _____

CB1 - Norman

CB2 - _____

Nickle - Benwickere

FS - _____

SS - _____

Thanksgiving

Main Course - Turkey, one fried and one traditional

Side1 - Stuffing

Side2 - Candied Sweet potatoes

Side3 - Mashed potatoes

Side4 - Cheesy carrots

Side5 - Green bean casserole

Side6 - Dinner roll

Desert1 - Pecan pie

Desert2 - Pumpkin pie

Football watching beverage - Beer 

Offensive First Unit:

WR1 - KB

WR2 - Amari Cooper

WR3 - Phily

TE - Olsen

TE2 - Swole

LT - 2nd Rd pick

LG - Turner

C - Khalil

RG - Norwell

RT - Mid tier FA  or Bell

FB - Tolbert

RB - Stewart/Whitaker

QB - Cam

Defensive First Unit:

DE - Ealy

DE - Hardy

DT - Star

DT - KK

LB - T Davis

LB - Luke

LB - Klein

CB1 - Norman

CB2 - White

Nickle - Benwickere

FS - 3rd Rd pick, or somewhere thereabouts

SS - Lester or Boston

Thanksgiving

Main Course - Turkey, one fried and one traditional

Side1 - Stuffing

Side2 - Candied Sweet potatoes

Side3 - Mashed potatoes

Side4 - Cheesy carrots

Side5 - Green bean casserole

Side6 - Dinner roll

Desert1 - Pecan pie

Desert2 - Pumpkin pie

Football watching beverage - Beer 

It took me a solid 30 seconds to realize what the hell this was.  I was analyzing defense and offense and then bam thanksgiving. 10/10

Edit: Also, I'd have to cut stuffing and add dressing.  No, they're not the same thing.  

Can someone fill me in on Ealy's progress the last two weeks or so. I've recorded the games but lost all motivation to watch after knowing the outcomes, and I'm just disgusted with this season as I feel it was lost three or so weeks ago.

Other than that, idk, at this point, we're not going to find someone else that isn't on the roster that couldhelp really... Aside from a guy like Austin Pettis still being out there, but it's clear we aren't making any moves. So if we don't bring in Pettis, im in favor of either putting Philly at the #2 (although he is ideally projected at the slot, imo) or Bersin. We just need more speed and ability to separate in that top 3.

Thats where I would focus offensively, because there is nothing we can do to the offensive line to fix it. Hopefully having guys who can separate will offset the horrible tackle play. Norwell and Turner are definitely upgrades, but there is nothing we can do with what's on the roster to fix tackle.

Offensive First Unit:

WR1 - KB

WR2 - Amari Cooper

WR3 - Phily

TE - Olsen

TE2 - Swole

LT - 2nd Rd pick

LG - Turner

C - Khalil

RG - Norwell

RT - Mid tier FA or Bell

FB - Tolbert

RB - Stewart/Whitaker

QB - Cam

Defensive First Unit:

DE - Ealy

DE - Hardy

DT - Star

DT - KK

LB - T Davis

LB - Luke

LB - Klein

CB1 - Norman

CB2 - White

Nickle - Benwickere

FS - 3rd Rd pick, or somewhere thereabouts

SS - Lester or Boston

I think if we go Cooper in Round 1, we have to spend some cash on a FA LT. If we bypass LT in round 1...we absolutely must have a proven guy over there. Cam needs help in the trenches

I think if we go Cooper in Round 1, we have to spend some cash on a FA LT. If we bypass LT in round 1...we absolutely must have a proven guy over there. Cam needs help in the trenches

I don't disagree with you, however I think the net positive effect of a 2nd round LT + Hardy is greater than that of a FA LT (of which I don't think there's any particularly spectacular guys that will be available) + CJ or a rookie DE.  We'd probably have to spend money on a "B" LT that would likely be closer to the end of his career than the beginning similar to what we'd have to spend on Hardy, an "A+" DE not even necessarily yet in his prime.

I think a WR corps of Cooper, KB and Philly - a corps that should theoretically be able to get open - would help ease the burden on the OL also.  For all their terribleness, look at Atlanta.  Their OL has been hot garbage for years, yet their offense keeps being good despite only having an above average game manager at QB.  If Cam had WRs that could get open, he wouldn't "hold onto the ball too long", which is one of the main complaints from the detractors.  We haven't had an adequate WR corps since Moose left.  At its best, we had a Smitty still going strong (and getting double teamed every play) and guys like Legadoodoo or LafelldownandIcan'tgetup starting so Cam still only had one real option outside of Olsen.

We definitely need speed at WR, just look when we let Philly run down the field.

I'm actually OK with White/Norman as the corners if we get respectable safeties.

I would love to resign Hardy but I'm not sure we will, with how Richardson is.

CJ is going to have to take a massive pay cut but I'm not sure he will.  Even on a down year someone will probabably pay him if we cut (sadly, probably Atlanta).   I'm worried that he may heal up and be a beast again, not sure.  I think it's possible Alexander starts over Ealy as well.

We need tackles and safeties, so bad it's not funny.  

Archived