• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cantwell or Moore?

unicar15

Who would you rather have as our #3 QB? Moore had a couple good games in Delhomme's absence but to tell you the truth the fact that he hasn't been able to steal the #2 spot away from McCown is disappointing. He was supposed to be a young, upcoming and improving QB and he hasn't delivered. IMO he has had his run at trying to secure the #2 spot and its time to look at Cantwell. I don't want to let Cantwell go on waivers and hear about him being a solid future option for another team. He has the size, the strength, and was on a team that was nationally competitive every year he was there.

The kid has a TON of upside with his frame (6'4'' 235 is impressive). He is also still extremely raw with only one year as the starter after having to sit behind Brian Brohm. Personally...I want to keep Cantwell close and make him the 3rd QB.

Who would you rather have as our #3 QB? Moore had a couple good games in Delhomme's absence but to tell you the truth the fact that he hasn't been able to steal the #2 spot away from McCown is disappointing. He was supposed to be a young, upcoming and improving QB and he hasn't delivered. IMO he has had his run at trying to secure the #2 spot and its time to look at Cantwell. I don't want to let Cantwell go on waivers and hear about him being a solid future option for another team. He has the size, the strength, and was on a team that was nationally competitive every year he was there.

How has Moore not delivered? Be honest, you're basing this entire thread on one drive Cantwell had in the 4th quarter of a preseason game...

Moore has won 2 out of the 3 games he's started for us (almost winning the third, but for some bad calls in a game against the heavily favored cowboys).

Let's not be silly here...

I want the rest of the preseason to make my decision. Cantwell went 0 for 4 before lighting it up against 4th stringers. And Moore was dropping back into his own endzone during his first two drives. Not making a decision either way until I have more data to base the decision on.

Cantwell's raw abilities certainly have more upside; but just like with all human psychological thinking, the masses would not be happy with this move because more often than not the human brain has a problem when being presented with losing something with a lot of time invested. The human mind thinks that it has spent so much time working or being with one subject it has to be the right choice. You see this logic play out a lot in relationships, politics, and in sports unless you are prepared to handle it. The Philadelphia Eagles and Patriots do a good job of not letting this human nature affect their thinking. Fox is known for sticking with this very bad behavior in letting this innate human instinct effect his decisions: Dan Morgan vs. Will Witherspoon, DeSaun Foster vs. DeAngelo Williams, Stephen Davis vs. Any fuging thing after 2003, and Nick Goings after 2004.

In politics very often the innate human reaction is followed by the man in power to increase public support in their party because the majority of the public will think it is the right move, such as the recent bailouts of the failing GM corporation. Of course some people let logic decide that it is or is not the right move but the majority will always stick with this basic human instinct.

Just preparing you guys that are in support of Cantwell being at least given a shot at 3rd-string QB an expectation of whats going to happen. Not only will Fox not give the job to him because Moore has not done anything to "lose" it much like Rodney Pete actually DID in 2003 or just recently last week Nick Hayden, but also the fans on this board in most cases won't support the move either.

I'm not saying give him the automatic nod right now, but if he doesn't deserve to have a shot working with the 3rd's this Saturday night after his forth quarter performance last week, what else could he exactly have done to get a shot?

I like Moore. Granted, Cantwell has a future and I like that it might be with us.

As for the McCown/Moore thing, I think it sucks that folks are favoring McCown just because he played in more games. If that was the case (not giving someone a shot other than in desperate situations) then we would never see a fresh QB.

I am a Jake homer but I also like to see Matt get more reps.

How has Moore not delivered? Be honest, you're basing this entire thread on one drive Cantwell had in the 4th quarter of a preseason game...

Moore has won 2 out of the 3 games he's started for us (almost winning the third, but for some bad calls in a game against the heavily favored cowboys).

Let's not be silly here...

Im basing this on the fact that Moore hasn't gotten any better in the last 2 years and Cantwell is the prototypical size for a QB and has a TON of untapped ability. I wanted us to draft Cantwell last year in the later rounds so naturally I was ecstatic when got on board after the draft. I am not basing this on one drive since I didn't watch the game..I was out of the country. I haven't seen either of them play, therefore I am basing this on what I have heard out of TC and the fact that Moore hasn't gotten any better.

Im basing this on the fact that Moore hasn't gotten any better in the last 2 years and Cantwell is the prototypical size for a QB and has a TON of untapped ability. I wanted us to draft Cantwell last year in the later rounds so naturally I was ecstatic when got on board after the draft. I am not basing this on one drive since I didn't watch the game..I was out of the country. I haven't seen either of them play, therefore I am basing this on what I have heard out of TC and the fact that Moore hasn't gotten any better.

How do you know Moore hasn't gotten any better? We haven't really seen him play so only the coaches and players know if he is any better.

Cantwell's raw abilities certainly have more upside; but just like with all human psychological thinking, the masses would not be happy with this move because more often than not the human brain has a problem when being presented with losing something with a lot of time invested. The human mind thinks that it has spent so much time working or being with one subject it has to be the right choice. You see this logic play out a lot in relationships, politics, and in sports unless you are prepared to handle it. The Philadelphia Eagles and Patriots do a good job of not letting this human nature affect their thinking. Fox is known for sticking with this very bad behavior in letting this innate human instinct effect his decisions: Dan Morgan vs. Will Witherspoon, DeSaun Foster vs. DeAngelo Williams, Stephen Davis vs. Any f**king thing after 2003, and Nick Goings after 2004.

In politics very often the innate human reaction is followed by the man in power to increase public support in their party because the majority of the public will think it is the right move, such as the recent bailouts of the failing GM corporation. Of course some people let logic decide that it is or is not the right move but the majority will always stick with this basic human instinct.

Just preparing you guys that are in support of Cantwell being at least given a shot at 3rd-string QB an expectation of whats going to happen. Not only will Fox not give the job to him because Moore has not done anything to "lose" it much like Rodney Pete actually DID in 2003 or just recently last week Nick Hayden, but also the fans on this board in most cases won't support the move either.

I'm not saying give him the automatic nod right now, but if he doesn't deserve to have a shot working with the 3rd's this Saturday night after his forth quarter performance last week, what else could he exactly have done to get a shot?

He was asking for a personal preference, not a philosophical journal entry regarding the human disposition regarding acceptance of backup quarterbacks.

I was big on Cantwell even before the season started, but please folks.... he made like three good throws and was pick six against to end the game.

The reason that EVERY year the unheralded quarterback looks like a star is for these reasons:

1. They shrink the playbook to about 1/5 of the size that it is for Moore and McCown. Since these two players are realistically fighting for our backup position, they have to know more of the playbook and thus the routes get more confusing and arduous. Pair that with 2nd and 3rd stringers running those routes and you get a recipe for disaster.

2. They're playing against competition that looks very much like what they faced in college. Most of these 3rd and 4th stringers are undrafted free agents and 2nd and 3rd year professionals that have spent the majority of their time on a practice squad. The competition is weak.

3. They're playing with nothing to lose. McCown and Moore are both playing tight because they know they have a job to win. Cantwell realistically knows that regardless of how he performs, the best case scenario is being on the practice squad or perhaps plucked from waivers and put on the 3rd string somewhere else. Everybody in football knows that Delhomme is one of the starters in football that is just a few bad games to start the year away from being supplanted by a backup quarterback, so the backups are fighting like they have that chance to lose. That leads to mistakes when they're pushing it too hard.

What kind of question is this? A guy has 1 good drive and he should supplant Moore?

Truth is, we don't know poo about either.

Moore hasn't played a real game in forever and usually sucks or doesn't do anything in preseason, and Cantwell looked well in his playing time, but again, only preseason.

Archived