• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Al Wallace said Cam Newton will never be a franchise qb

Ruff

Quick! Name five other qbs you would rather build your franchise around.

Cam Newton is one of the handful of the worst QB'S in the NFL.

29th in passer rating, 30th in completition percentage.

He had 3 1000 yard receivers last year, two very good running backs, a Pro Bowl full-back and yet the Panthers finished 29th in passing offense.

The Emperor is stone, cold naked.

Cam Newton is one of the handful of the worst QB'S in the NFL.

29th in passer rating, 30th in completition percentage.

He had 3 1000 yard receivers last year, two very good running backs, a Pro Bowl full-back and yet the Panthers finished 29th in passing offense.

The Emperor is stone, cold naked.

Do what? We didn't have a wide receiver even get close to 1000 yards last year.

Newton also lead the team in rushing in 7 games last year. What's that you were saying about very good running backs?

Where the hell are you getting your information from?

I've never viewed Cam as a general. Doesn't come across that way. Not in his nature I suppose. I'd rather him be himself TBH. There are 50+ grown men on the team. Individually they should all be able to perform their jobs effectively without someone slapping them. Just my opinion

Of course he doesn't have to knock heads, just talk to his teammates about what is going on, on the field.  Be a signal caller.  If you can't do that, you are not worth the market setting contract.  I'll give him a Alex Smith type of deal.  Alex Smith made it all the way to the NFC championship game with good talent and a good HC when he was with the 49ers.  With the Chiefs, he made the playoffs with an accomplished HC in Andy Reid.  So guys like that need talent around them to do something.  Guys like Brady and Manning can win 11 or more games with every team in this league, including ours because they talk to the guys they are playing with.  Coach them up.  Just look at what Lafell is doing in NE, becoming the number one receiver for Brady.  Eric Decker had good seasons with Manning, and even though Demairyus Thomas is a good receiver, he's an all-star with Manning.

Again not knocking Cam, but if Brady or Manning were here on this very team, KB would be having an even better season than what he's having right now.  Of course experience for Brady and Manning would factor into it, but mostly because these guys are signal callers.  Can Cam turn into that at some point in his career?  I doubt he will as a Panther.  When it comes to the team's performance, Cam only looks at what he's doing.  He goes to the sideline after every drive and talks with his QB coach, and then goes back out there on the field.  Then when we are getting blown out, we usually see him on the sideline with a blank expression across his face.  The camera has yet to show a shot of him talking to his teammates trying to figure stuff out.  Of course if it did, I don't remember.  Yet with guys like Luck/Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Big Ben/etc., there are plenty of camera shots with them coaching their guys up or talking to their guys.  We hear soundbites from them if their mic'ed up.  Those are guys who deserve the big contract because they don't need as much around them to get the job done.

None of these guys ever played with sub par coaching or talent so until that happens your argument is based on myths and opinion not facts..

So you're saying if Tom Brady or Manning was our QB besides Cam, we would still only have 3 wins this year?

Ah, I think we are being too dramatic, or overly protective of Cam.  If we had one of those guys, we would have at least 9 wins by now.

Manning and Brady would probably be injured and out for the season by now. They can't take the hits that Cam has to take week after week due to this pathetic O line.

Honestly bro, I could careless about what he looks like. I just ride for my squad since day one. Since I was 3 when we got the panthers

Then how do you not know who Al Wallace is?

The picture posted was Mike Wallace, the old reporter from '60 Minutes'.

re: the alex smith point

he was considered a titanic bust for years because the 49ers couldn't get their thumbs out of their asses and put together a halfway decent staff.  that dude hadn't notched two consecutive seasons with the same OC until 2010 and lost his starting job at least once.  then 2011 came around, the 49ers got serious about assembling a real coaching staff, and he played in 26 games putting up 30 TDs to 10 INTs

cam is far more talented than smith and played better than him pre-2011 with similarly inept coaching

Ah, I think we are being too dramatic, or overly protective of Cam. If we had one of those guys, we would have at least 9 wins by now.

Surely you can't be serious?! Any other QB might be dead already playing on this team or woulda tried to kill one of his teammates by now.

Our best 2 WRs are ROOKIES, one's undrafted and the other is as raw as Cam was. People predicted this team to be bad this year for obvious reasons, none of them were bc of our quarterback.

I'm way to lazy to do it right now... but could someone show how other teams drafting a QB at the #1 spot provided "weapons/offensive lineman" in subsequent drafts?

I'm only going off memory, but didn't Indy essentially dedicate their draft to building around Luck in 2012 and 2013? I know for a fact they brought in his college TE with their 2nd rounder Fleener.

How about Detroit? Calvin was already there when they drafted Stafford, but did they beef up the oline at least?

Sam Bradford?

Jamarcus Russell?

David Carr?

Carson Palmer?

Peyton Manning? I guess Eli as well?

Hell, let's even include RGIII. Though, the Redskins did bring in WR talent via FA this season. But, may have been too late since the injuries had already done him in - lack of oline.

Maybe Matt Ryan can be included too since he was so high.

So, having a few game winning drives means he carried the team? Hell, if that's the case, then Geno Smith also "carried" his team because he had 5 game winning drives last year. Stupid logic.

Let's see you can't win a game without scoring and the offense does most of the scoring. And since Cam is 77%of the offense.......well....

Archived