• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL OKs New Conduct Policy

SgtJoo

Among the key points in the memo to team owners, who gathered in Irving, Texas, for their final scheduled meeting before the end of the season:

The NFL has decided it can "no longer defer entirely to the decisions of the criminal justice system, which is governed by processes and considerations that are not appropriate to a workplace, especially a workplace as visible and influential as ours."

• The new policy will "embrace the use of independent investigations." To that end, the NFL will explore hiring a special counsel for investigations and conduct.

• The policy will implement an element of leave with pay during investigations of persons charged with violent crimes.

• The new policy "essentially removes the commissioner from the initial disciplinary proceedings," though the commissioner will maintain his role in the appeals process, but establishes "a more rigorous and transparent process for those initial disciplinary decisions."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12009596/memo-roger-goodell-nfl-owners-outlines-conduct-policy-changes

• The policy will implement an element of leave with pay during investigations of persons charged with violent crimes.

This is kinda scary IMO. Before this year I had never heard of the commissioner's exempt list. This gives the league the power to indefinitely suspend with pay any player accused of a "violent" crime, and then suspend them WITHOUT pay after the process concludes.

If you think this team was reluctant to sign players with a troubled history before, then just wait.

Teams will be VERY reluctant to give guys chances now I think. Being able to suspend a bad apple and get your money back is one thing. Them being paid to sit for potentially multiple seasons is another.

This is kinda scary IMO. Before this year I had never heard of the commissioner's exempt list. This gives the league the power to indefinitely suspend with pay any player accused of a "violent" crime, and then suspend them WITHOUT pay after the process concludes.

If you think this team was reluctant to sign players with a troubled history before, then just wait.

Teams will be VERY reluctant to give guys chances now I think. Being able to suspend a bad apple and get your money back is one thing. Them being paid to sit for potentially multiple seasons is another.

Obviously this hasn't been OKd by the NFLPA.

Should have probably added that to the OP.

NFL PLAYERS ASSOCIATION STATEMENT

Our union has not been offered the professional courtesy of seeing the NFL's new personal conduct policy before it hit the presses. Their unilateral decision and conduct today is the only thing that has been consistent over the past few months.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ooh, get em.

I don't see how that makes it as practice. Get any one vindictive GF, or even Crazed fan, to go out to a club/ area where the other team's players will be and fake an act of violence or make a claim of it and then there's a media shitstorm. 

If this ends up passing then if I were a player, I'd walk around with a go pro everywhere I went. 

That is..............  so wrong. 

People say that the players (AP and Hardy) had a choice in the matter,  to sign-up to go on the commish list...but,  what other real choice was there?  Panthers would have kept deactivating Hardy.. Basically it's a "Sign this,  don't sign this,  either way,  you're not going to play"

Keep in mind that it will take more than a random accusation.  A player wouldn't be put on leave unless there were at least enough evidence of a crime to indict/charge the player.

The idea that someone can claim rape the week before the Super Bowl to have a QB suspended wouldn't ever happen unless she had some reasonable level of proof.

Archived