• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deflate-Gate: Patriots Being Investigated For Deflated Footballs

Saw that :lol:

Amazing how those weather conditions only affected one team's footballs, eh?

(conditions must vary a lot from one side of the field to the other)

All of the footballs on one side except one.  It miraculously was not impacted by BB's air-pressure reducing phenomena.

He is such a liar.  How arrogant do you have to be to say that, knowing people with actual degrees will rip you to pieces.  Liars think they fool everyone. 

It baffles me how the NFL is like the reverse MLB.

In baseball, if a pitcher messes with a ball, puts tar, whatever on it, it's a fine, a warning, basically a slap on the wrist. However if someone gets busted on PEDs it's a fuging huge deal, the media runs with it and there are monumental penalties.

However in the NFL, we have a Super Bowl team busted for PEDs 7 times in a few years, and the league and media couldn't care less. However a team potentially tampering with balls and we have people calling for a lifetime ban.

Really messed up priorities.

Well, not really. You get caught messing with a baseball, you get kicked out of the game and suspended a minimum 10 games. But I get your point.

The pitcher shall not --

(a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand.

PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.

(2) expectorate on the ball, either hand or his glove;

(3) rub the ball on his glove, person or clothing;

(4) apply a foreign substance of any kind to the ball;

(5) deface the ball in any manner; or

(6) deliver a ball altered in a manner prescribed by Rule 8.02(a)(2) through (5) or what is called the shine ball, spit ball, mud ball or emery ball. The pitcher is allowed to rub the ball between his bare hands.

PENALTY: For violation of any part of Rules 8.02(a)(2) through (6)

(a) the pitcher shall be ejected immediately from the game and shall be suspended automatically. In National Association Leagues, the automatic suspension shall be for 10 games.

By the way, Bellichick has never given the time of day to anyone asking questions and we've all seen him stand behind a podium and essentially mumble nothing for years. Now, all of a sudden, you can't shut the guy up? C'mon...

As I stated when this became news, it's too late for the Patriots. The die has been cast. There is no good ending for the Patriots. Either they win and everyone (except Pats fans) will call for the "asterisk" because they got this far by cheating., Or the Patriots lose and most people will cheer them for getting what they deserve.

Its not cheating to be smarter than other teams, use the rules against them, execute their plays better than anyone.

Like the spygate. Its just haterade. All teams have tape on each other. Mike Rucker once bragged that we killed mike Vick because we got their snap count.

You have a playbook and can make in game adjustments.

Only cowards and losers blame other people for their shortcomings and failures.

If this is the case, and the Pats were being courageous, why did they initially deny spygate and now this?  Just say, "we always do it.  We are smart, everyone else is dumb."  I am not sure that I would call the whistle-blowers cowards.  They seem to be only way our NFL rulebook is being enforced.

At this point from what I've seen, the most likely scenario is that the balls were improperly tested in the pre-game approval.

Adam Schefter has reported that the league is having trouble finding any evidence of tampering, despite over 50 cameras in the area.

Combined with a former Bears ball boy coming out and saying that most often the pregame inspection consisted of the refs holding the footballs and looking at the laces, without actually measuring anything, and that in all his time as a ball boy the refs didn't reject a single ball.

I think what is gonna end up being the case is that the Patriots deflated the balls before the pre-game, in the same manner that the Packers overinflate theirs, and the refs failed to properly test them before approving them for use.

Nothing suggests improper pre game testing that has been reported

Also, don't forget the NFL went into the game tipped off on NE's cheating ways....which takes away a lot of the defenses that it was something else. They went in on red alert.....they weren't going to do a crap job that week testing. NFL likely made that a point of emphasis since they admit to being tipped off

As far as the cameras go.....there is a football game going on and hundreds of people on sidelines. Saying that a camera should of caught something one person did on a sideline otherwise it likely didn't happen seems a bit of a stretch.

I would have hoped the NFL would have squashed this thing right away if this would have been the case.

Colts measured legal but showed same rate of psi lost as the Patriots balls that measured below NFL standards.

I think the NFL would have been happy to end this right away if that was the case.

I totally agree with you but since I don't know for sure, I'll concede the point was made until the report comes out.

I totally agree with you but since I don't know for sure, I'll concede the point was made until the report comes out.

I really hope the report comes out before the Super Bowl, so it can be settled one way or another. If the Patriots win it'll be utterly tainted if they haven't released a report yet. And it would be even worse if they release a report a week later and are found guilty.

I really hope the report comes out before the Super Bowl, so it can be settled one way or another. If the Patriots win it'll be utterly tainted if they haven't released a report yet. And it would be even worse if they release a report a week later and are found guilty.

I have a feeling the investigation won't be done until after Super Bowl.

Shuuu-- he wont have to READ the article-- he will just repost yours!

I really dont believe the ball pressure would drop that much either,..but its just so funny watching everyone actually believe that ball pressure dropped by 2 psi will actually be the difference to a team going to 6 Superbowls and 9 AFC Championships in 14 years,......

I still believe if they are actually caught and its proven then I agree with Colin Cowherd--- its Hard Knocks for 2 years, coach and Brady suspended--- smack them hard. Thats always been on the table-- break the rules and pay big.

But Im not going to sit here and actually believe the Patriots have been a better team than everyone else in that time period just because of Spygate and underinflated balls,..

Teams can make in game adjustments but just dont-- We didnt against Arizona and they had our number. Larry Fitzgerald even bragged about it afterwards about how they had our coverages, routes, and signals---- did they breakrules to get them? Nothing proved,... Arizona adjusted to our offense after our first drive,... Fox refused to make adjustments and we got killed.

but just like that or video,... any team can and should have the NFL smart big money ability to make adjustments during a game.

Just dont be a coward and say you lost because of your stupidity. True cheating is having college players sneak in and play for your high school team--- or paying off the refs to call flags on you at every given opportunity(Steelers in 2005--not caught but COME ON)--- intentionally throwing a first half to win a bet(Winston),... and I still believe Neal ODonnell threw the 1995 Superbowl-- anyone remember that game? I do.

Thats the whole argument. And also the lop sided hate and ignorance of other teams do wrongs-- The Panthers and Seahawks and Chargers for that matter did not loose draft picks or go through this type of scrutiny for their PED cultures,..

Why????? Because they were nobody. Now that the Seahawks are becoming Somebody--watch out and stay tuned-- all the love turns to haterade real fast when someone is dominating. Have the Seahawks win this Superbowl and next week the PED gate and Carrolls cheating track record will be sky lined,....

Once again no one is claiming that they got this far by altering balls. Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

BTW, it's lose, not loose.

BB next press conference.

BB:

Its was caused by the balls being flown to the game. The balls was under a lot of pressure when they was being flown to the game so that was what cause the psi difference.

Reporter:

But you played at home.

BB:

Yeah that is true but we fly the balls in from Florida!

If this is the case, and the Pats were being courageous, why did they initially deny spygate and now this?  Just say, "we always do it.  We are smart, everyone else is dumb."  I am not sure that I would call the whistle-blowers cowards.  They seem to be only way our NFL rulebook is being enforced.

This back and forth is exhausting, as it also is watching everyone rewrite history and also type posts which are partially read.

I did not say the whistle blowers are cowards.

I said cowards blame others for their failures.

I didnt say its courageous to tape practices-- Im sure everyone did it. All teams watch tape on each other, they all try to steal signals and plays.  

The difference with that was, there was never a denial. Belicheck said from the beginning that he felt he was operating within the rules, handed over tapes and cooperated. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_National_Football_League_videotaping_controversy

As far as the effect of Spygate, and speaking of being a coward or not.  Read the owner of the Steelers comments after Arlen Spectar charged that the Patriots had used tapings in the Steelers AFC Championship losses.

Rooney--- "We consider the tapes of our coaching staff during our games against the New England Patriots to be a non-issue. In our opinion, they had no impact on the results of those games."

This is how those with character and class handle themselves.  Cowards would blame the loss on the ridiculous tapes. Others such as Jimmy Johnson state that it was common practice, only Belicheck got caught-- and many couldnt believe there were fines or suspensions involved.

Again-- good teams will adjust, bad teams dont-- but ignorant chicken hawks will turn around and say they arent bad-- they have some excuse.

I will of course post this for nothing. Of course it will be twisted, misinterpreted and once again someone will say to ME I have a comprehension problem, or to go blow Brady some more---

You guys are all too smart for me,.. I can barely keep up.  Tapping out of this one.

This back and forth is exhausting, as it also is watching everyone rewrite history and also type posts which are partially read.

I did not say the whistle blowers are cowards.

I said cowards blame others for their failures.

I didnt say its courageous to tape practices-- Im sure everyone did it. All teams watch tape on each other, they all try to steal signals and plays.  

The difference with that was, there was never a denial. Belicheck said from the beginning that he felt he was operating within the rules, handed over tapes and cooperated. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_National_Football_League_videotaping_controversy

As far as the effect of Spygate, and speaking of being a coward or not.  Read the owner of the Steelers comments after Arlen Spectar charged that the Patriots had used tapings in the Steelers AFC Championship losses.

Rooney--- "We consider the tapes of our coaching staff during our games against the New England Patriots to be a non-issue. In our opinion, they had no impact on the results of those games."

This is how those with character and class handle themselves.  Cowards would blame the loss on the ridiculous tapes. Others such as Jimmy Johnson state that it was common practice, only Belicheck got caught-- and many couldnt believe there were fines or suspensions involved.

Again-- good teams will adjust, bad teams dont-- but ignorant chicken hawks will turn around and say they arent bad-- they have some excuse.

I will of course post this for nothing. Of course it will be twisted, misinterpreted and once again someone will say to ME I have a comprehension problem, or to go blow Brady some more---

You guys are all too smart for me,.. I can barely keep up.  Tapping out of this one

your points are contradictions.  I see what you are trying to say, but you can't blame the people who don't like cheating and complain when they feel the tables were tilted.  Who polices the NFL?  The whistle blowers and complainers.  If you want to overlook the cheating and blame those who oppose it.

Bias--"ridiculous tapes"  Shows me that you do not have any idea how much of an advantage that would be.  You also don't mention the other tapes and notes that Goodell (Robert Kraft's buddy) destroyed without reason. 

Excuses suggests that the Pats did not have an unfair advantage.  They did, and their balls were found to be out of compliance--since the annoying complainers only complained that the balls were underinflated and it happened DURING the game, how do call that an "excuse?"  

I have a pretty good idea that an audit/internal investigation of BB's operation would uncover a lot more of this king of crap--stuff you call smart.  Just play by the damn rules and stop trying to find loopholes. 

Archived