• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tweet by @CarolinaHuddle opens an interesting topic of discussion

SCP

(Obviously "interesting topic" is in the eye of the beholder, but I find it interesting to discuss)

@CarolinaHuddle  •  25m 25 minutes ago

I'd be interested in how much of the die hard Greg Hardy fans and the Professional Wrasslin fan population overlaps.

I saw the above tweet this morning my Zodimus Maximus and it conjured up some thoughts that I thought would be interesting to discuss.  He has a great point and I am sure there is a lot of cross over.

When it comes to sports, I am an admitted double-standard having douchebag.  Some people draw a very blurry line between sports and ever day, real world life.  They allow their morals and beliefs to transcend the playing field.  Others draw a line between sports and life that is straight, bold, and definitive.   They can separate the two like the rigid dichotomy between religion and government.

For example, I was at the gym last night and there was a guy who had a Steelers terrible towel draped over his head while he was pedaling a stationary bike.  I never met him but I instantly hated the guy.  He’s probably a good dude, but as far as I’m concerned he can suck it.  Perhaps this is a product of playing competitive sports through college, or perhaps this is a result of growing up in a state that is home to municipalities that are sanctuary cities for opposing fans.  Either way, it is ridiculous that I judge a human based on the team colors he/she wears.  That being said, I don’t apologize for it.  I think you are a major asshole if you are from NC/SC and root against the Panthers.  Period.

I also harbor a huge double standard.  When I see a negative story about a team that is not one I root for, I want that team to be contracted or penalized into submission.  I want that teams fans to be miserable and contract bowel burning diarrhea.  At the same time, the Panthers can do no wrong and I will defend them, no matter how foolishly, to the end.  Stupid?  Yes.  The polar opposite of my everyday personality? Sure.  But every thing I have ever learned about fairness and sportsmanship takes a backseat when I am discussing my team with some jackwagon that wears a Falcons hat.  I want every other fan base outside of Panther Nation to get a severe skin rash on their face and I don’t feel bad about that.

When it comes to players, I am strictly a “What can you do for me on the field” guy.  I am not a “wrasslin fan” but if a guy like Hardy can help my team win, I want him on that wall.  I need him on that wall.  I could not care any less if a guy is an angel or an asshole as long as he can deliver on the filed.  The world is full of assholes.  Would I hire a wife beater to work for me as a salesman?  Hell no.  But if that sumbitch can get 18 sacks for my team do I want him on it? Yes.  That makes zero sense right?  How can I have such a double standard?  I have no idea.  I’ve said it before but I drive my wife’s minivan when we go on vacation.  I coach youth sports the right way. I teach respect and sportsmanship.  I treat my customers like they are family and I help my neighbors without question.  But holy poo if I don’t look at my NFL team through different lenses.  

On one hand I take sports very seriously and I think they are a great platform for kids to learn sportsmanship, team work, humility, pride, leadership, and the skill to respect authority.  But on the other hand, I want to tell that dad in the mom jeans and Packers hat to suck a fart out of my ass.

Anyway, I think Hardy can help this team and if we sign him, fug it.  Watch out Matt Ryan.  I won’t apologize for cheering my ass of when Hardy sacks his punk ass.  

I would totally take en elite DE on our team, and I have not seen wtestling in years.

Not sure what the correlation is here. Maybe "people who like winning" vs "people who like to portray themselves as noble and wise" is a better thing to analyze.

Actually took the time to read this one. I really feel like it had absolutely nothing to do with the tweet. Good post though.

I harbor the same double standard on rose-colored glasses for my Panthers players. I am, however, getting better about the blind regional hatred. I think watching for a long time, and seeing players that I like go to other teams has helped. If TD randomly got cut and went to play for the Raiders, I'm not sure I'd hate them or their fans as much. 

Just my 2 cents.

I would totally take en elite DE on our team, and I have not seen wtestling in years.

Not sure what the correlation is here. Maybe "people who like winning" vs "people who like to portray themselves as noble and wise" is a better thing to analyze.

That's the double standard I have though. I am a do-the-right thing person on every issue but when it comes to the Panthers, fug it. I want to go all in to win.

Archived