• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Statement from the Panthers

Jeremy Igo

That then becomes discrimination

Hypothetical:

An elementary school teacher gets arrested for sexually abusing a neighbors child.  Between the time of his/her arrest, the teacher's spouse buys a lottery ticket with the winning numbers and the couple become millionaires.

The parents of that child come to a monetary settlement with the elementary school teacher, move from the area, and can no longer be easily found.  The criminal charges are dropped.

The school system fires the teacher.

Is this discrimination?

So, the head coach gets to call shots like this?

Ask Gettleman, Richardson, Danny Morrison?

I never mentioned the NFL, I mentioned the NFLPA, his agent and representatives of the team as possible parties who thought it might be better if he stayed away.

The fact that he actually did show up a few times kind of works against your theory.

It just wasn't very often.

What are they going to suspend him for?

Excessive tweeting and lack of contrition for a charge that was dismissed?

The same thing that Ben Roethlisberger was suspended for after the charges were dropped. I'm not saying I agree but it likely will still happen. 

Only if you can find a constitutional right to play in the NFL somewhere in the Bill of Rights.

Feel free to check, but I'm pretty sure it's not there.

You are free to not suffer the penalty of a crime you did not commit!

Your wife goes bat crap crazy, you do nothing and cops arrest you on her false statements and it makes the news. You are charged but in a trial, jurors discover she is bat crap crazy and find you not guilty.

You employer fires you stating that because you had a negative press incident....how long before you are rich?

Now, you blab all over tv cameras that twinkies was the cause of the negative incident and you work at hostess, then yes, they got grounds to fire you based on defamation

The same thing that Ben Roethlisberger was suspended for after the charges were dropped. I'm not saying I agree but it likely will still happen. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Roethlisberger#2010_suspension

On April 21, 2010, the NFL's Commissioner Roger Goodell announced that Roethlisberger would be suspended without pay for the first six games of the 2010 season due to a violation of the NFL's personal conduct policy. Roethlisberger was ordered to undergo a league-mandated "professional behavior evaluation" and "must adhere to any counseling or treatment that is recommended by the professional evaluators."[18] The suspension was subsequently reduced to four games.

As you pointed out, Roethlisberger was INNOCENT, correct?

Hypothetical:

An elementary school teacher gets arrested for sexually abusing a neighbors child. Between the time of his/her arrest, the teacher's spouse buys a lottery ticket with the winning numbers and the couple become millionaires.

The parents of that child come to a monetary settlement with the elementary school teacher, move from the area, and can no longer be easily found. The criminal charges are dropped.

The school system fires the teacher.

Is this discrimination?

Yep. No just cause for termination if no conviction. However, they will just do what everyone else does and find a different reason to fire them

I do find it hilarious though that there are those of you who believe that if owners chose not to put up with the display and notoriety of feminist and domestic abuse organization picketing their buildings and games by not employing a player that would cause those things to happen, those owners are "discriminating" against the player.

I do find it hilarious though that there are those of you who believe that if owners chose not to put up with the display and notoriety of feminist and domestic abuse organization picketing their buildings and games by not employing a player that would cause those things to happen, those owners are "discriminating" against the player.

People believe all kinds of absurd things. 

Not according to Gin and Juice. Hardy was saving himself for his mega contract.

Damn straight! Like any smart player would do. He has a window and he wants to close it, not slammed shut on a one year rental! Fan boys be damned as Hardy watches out for Hardy.

Do you all not get that players despise the tag and will counter with the threat of a holdout?

His last suspension earned him $13 mil, not sure how unfair that was for him....

It's unfair to him because it will have impacted his future earning potential.  He was deactivated for an offense he didn't commit.  Whether he paid this girl off or not is inconsequential.  I imagine if he did pay her off, it's because it was cheaper and faster than paying the lawyers to win the ridiculous case against him.  It's not exactly the Ben Roethlisburger situation where everyone pretty much knows he did it and paid the accuser off to avoid a conviction.  I hope the NFL does investigate it thoroughly and comes to the obvious determination that Hardy didn't commit any wrongdoing and therefore does not need to be FURTHER (yes further) punished.

Archived