• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Will Select Cameron Erving With #25

chknwing

I think we go with TJ Clemmingss from Pitt if he's on the board.  Erving doesn't seem like a LT prospect.  Why put a guy from the most important position on the Oline (LT) to a less important position on an oline ©, if he's an elite prospect.  It doesn't add up for me.  Yes, he is versatile, but you don't need your LT to be versatile.. the most value he can possible give you is playing LT.

Well, to play devil's advocate, it comes down to the alternative options.  If you have a good alternative at LT, but you don't have a good alternative at center, then you move Erving to center, simple as that.  Center may not seem as important as LT in the grand scheme of things, but if you're having numerous bad snaps per game, all of a sudden it's pretty damn important.

If Strong is there at #25, it's hard for me to imagine an OT prospect being there who I would take over him. I think Jaelen Strong is a Dez Bryant clone and sign me up for some of that!

Yup Strong could step in immediately and have a Kelvin-type impact. I could legitimately see us having three 1,000 yard pass-catchers with Kelvin, Strong, and Olsen next season. Unfortunately I think his combine performance put him just out of our reach.

Isn't he more of a guard/center. If no legit tackles at the pick we go BPA 100%

if no tackles are available that we have a 1st R grade on at #25 overall, Erving might very well be the BPA at that spot. He is the #1 C prospect in the draft, and Gettleman might view him as a future perennial Pro Bowl center and an eventual replacement for Ryan Kalil, who turns 30 in a few weeks and will cost us a $11,795,000 cap hit this year and a $10,329,000 cap hit in 2016

on the post-combine Big Board by Joel Klatt of FOX Sports, he has Erving as his #16 overall prospect. The OTs:

#13 Ereck Flowers - "I don't see him as a LT in the NFL, as he will likely have to play guard early in his career before a transition to RT. ... once he works on technique in pass protection, he will be a quality RT for a long time."

#16 Cameron Erving - "moved from LT to C last season for the Seminoles. However, he didn't just move, he dominated at both positions as the best blocker in the ACC each of the last two seasons. Oh, by the way, he was originally a DT at FSU, so he likely will succeed regardless of where his next team puts him"

#17 Brandon Scherff - "some serious questions have risen about his ability to play tackle"

#19 La'el Collins - "would fit well at guard, as he is still too raw..on the outside as a pass protector...[he looked] average...he didn't excel anywhere...could have a long career on the right side [but] he [will] likely..never [be a] great player"

#29 Andrus Peat - "has all of the things that you want from an OT at the next level"

#36 D.J. Humphries

#46 Cedric Ogbuehi

#49 TJ Clemmings

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-big-board-leonard-williams-jameis-winston-joel-klatt-version-3-022315

Well, to play devil's advocate, it comes down to the alternative options.  If you have a good alternative at LT, but you don't have a good alternative at center, then you move Erving to center, simple as that.  Center may not seem as important as LT in the grand scheme of things, but if you're having numerous bad snaps per game, all of a sudden it's pretty damn important.

Lets say Jordan Gross could play all 5 positions on the oline.  Kalil goes down with an injury, and we have Jeff Byers (backup center) and Gary Williams (backup LT) sitting on the bench.  Do you think we plug Jeff Byers in at Center to replace Kalil, or take out Jordan Gross, our obvious best player at LT, to sub in at center, and put in someone less effective at pass blocking to protect our franchise QB's blindside?

Having versatility at LT really means very little to me.  You have to go with the best LT prospect.  That might be Erving still but Clemmings is highly athletic, raw as a pass blocker, but an absolute mauler at run blocking, and has tremendous upside.

Erving did play LT for the game against Clemson this past season. They wanted to him to block Beasley.

He did a solid job. 

Beasley finished with 2 sacks in the game. The first one looked like miscommunication between Erving and O'Leary. The second was Beasley being a beast. Other than that, Erving basically shut down one of the top pass rushers in the nation.

Let's say we draft a defensive linemen in the 1st that would mean 4/5 of our 1st&2nd round picks over the last 3 years were spent on the dline. More to football than that.

I'd be pretty upset with it, but realize that we were dominant in 2013 because of our d-line. Having an elite d-line made up for our trash secondary and we were still the #2 defense. With our current corners and if we could upgrade at safety AND get that elite d-line back we would have the best defense in football. Of course we need improvements on offense at WR and OT, but it's all a part of the puzzle. I hope we go WR/OT in both the 1st and 2nd (unless Landon Collins falls to 25 then we better have the pick in faster than we did Star and KB), but I wouldn't hate a DL pick.

for O'leary to be classified as a blocking TE ... he had some terrible blocks in that game.

He got absolutely pancaked by Beasley early in the game. I think that's why he went inside on Beasley's first sack. It looked like Erving was supposed to cover the inside rusher instead. O'Leary looked intimidated. 

You bastard... I totally entered this thread by pure luck and you have to bring my name up. I don't have any money, my wife takes it all....

Says every guy that's married. Sometimes I think hookers and blow would be cheaper.

Archived