• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Gettleman be tempted to draft Gurley @ 25?

CatMan72

Getting a deal with CJ Spiller gives us a return man and a change of pace back, plus makes for dangerous screen plays

Are there backs in college who can do the same?  Don't get me wrong, I would love him, but getting a deal is unlikely, and if I am going to spend $$, it isn't going to be a RB--that is just me, and I understand what a plus he would be.  I'd rather put the $$ in the person in front of him on the OL.

Don't think it's the worst ever idea, but put the likelihood at a very low percentage.

It would require all of the OTs, WRs, DEs, CBs and Landon Collins not being there in order for it to happen, IMO. Gurley is a rare talent, injury history or not. He is capable of giving Adrien Peterson kind of production, but you just don't know how long he will be capable. Could be one season, could be ten. Too much risk in the first round.

There are gifted RBs that possess more value after the first round too, but that, IMO, is a gamble too. Gurley is crazy talented, but with two major collegiate injuries, he would literally have to be the BPA at 25. Though the stats compare pretty favorable to Trent Richardson's at Alabama, I don't remember Richardson being as explosive and eye-catching as Gurley is.

Literally everytime that Gurley touched the ball, it could have been a home run at UGA. My gf went to UGA so they became my default SEC team since I don't have one. Loved what I saw from him, and he's an NC native.

Great post

Are there backs in college who can do the same? Don't get me wrong, I would love him, but getting a deal is unlikely, and if I am going to spend $$, it isn't going to be a RB--that is just me, and I understand what a plus he would be. I'd rather put the $$ in the person in front of him on the OL.

If a deal can get done! I don't see him commanding large amounts of money. He has been rather disappointing

Gettleman has repeatedly said that he will pick the BPA, not the best value available. He has also put this in action in both drafts. If Gurley grades out as the best (which is possible, though not probable IMO), we will pick him.

Claiming BPA is deceptive.....bc BPA for the most part takes into account NEED and a drafters preference.

For the most part, there are exceptions if someone comically falls but teams will have options of several guys with the same or close grades. Then they make there pick out of those several guys on need or preference.

Yeah, DGB is a top 5-10 talent. Don't see G-man passing that up at 25 just because of some character issues over a year ago. I'd rather have Landon Collins or La'El Collins, but DGB is my choice after those two.

Do you think Landon or La'El will be on the board when we pick. Landon Collins is by far the best safety in the draft in my opinion. La'El would be a huge pick and he gets to play with his LSU teammate Trai Turner. That will make our OLine very nasty. But we still need a true LT. I can't see La'El playing there early but maybe at Guard or RT.

Do you think Landon or La'El will be on the board when we pick. Landon Collins is by far the best safety in the draft in my opinion. La'El would be a huge pick and he gets to play with his LSU teammate Trai Turner. That will make our OLine very nasty. But we still need a true LT. I can't see La'El playing there early but maybe at Guard or RT.

They'll probably both be gone. Top 10 is kind of high for a safety but the thing about Landon Collins is, he's not just by far the best in the draft, the difference between him and the next safety is the largest difference between the best and 2nd best at any position in this draft. La'el is more likely to be there but still unlikely since he's one of those guys that can pretty much play any position on the line and so many teams need upgrades on the o-line. I'd rather have Landon Collins since he's a game changer in my opinion and our D could be even better than it was in 2013. But La'el I think we could groom to play LT (sign a veteran to start this year) and having him with Turner would be big for chemistry. Would be ecstatic if we got either of them or one of the top 3 wideouts. Just not getting my hopes too up.

Gordon won't be picked in the first round, and I don't think hes better than Gurley. He'll become a Jamal Charles type? Whew, you are reaching, and yeah I have seen him numerous times. I think Jamal Charles would dominate most competition, but Gordon couldn't dominate Ohio fuging State? Okay, sir. OKAY. Better yet, get over 100 yards vs OHIO fuging STATE? OHHHHHHHHHHHH K.

Gordon couldnt do anything against Ohio State but Tevin Coleman ran all over them with not much help.

Claiming BPA is deceptive.....bc BPA for the most part takes into account NEED and a drafters preference.

For the most part, there are exceptions if someone comically falls but teams will have options of several guys with the same or close grades. Then they make there pick out of those several guys on need or preference.

I believe that this is true to an extent, but I also believe that if you have exceptional talents like Gurley or Dorial Green Beckham, then they are going to naturally trump most others on G-man's board. G-man has expressed that drafting for need is really a losing proposition, and that it's not a successful formula for sustained success. He also has said that he basically keeps things simple and sticks to the script with little deviation. I believe him. I believe him so much that I don't know what to expect come draft days.

Even if you believe that his decisions vary here or there based on varying degrees of need, you have to know that RB has to be on his radar. As such, Gurley has a more than average likelihood of being the BPA based on his talent and history alone.

Archived