• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton should be paid more than Luck or Wilson

Jeremy Igo

What game where you watching Wilson had 3 touchdowns and 0 picks while Newton threw 2 touchdowns and had 2 picks including a pick 6. Newtons passer rating was 79 and Wilsons was double that at 149. These kind of apologist comments are part of the reason Cam gets some of the criticism on this board.

Come on man. What secondaries were each team playing against? Their secondary has 9 total All-Pro seasons. Ours has 0. And it was in Seattle.

I'm not very familiar with Werner, but he plays defense, and my entire point was speaking to the offensive side of the ball.

Edit: Ahmad Bradshaw reworked his deal for less than 900k, he's gone this year anyway. The Colts did have some dropped passes last year, but they still had a number of weapons and put up a lot of yards. Hilton is one of the league's best WR's.

I still say the Colts tanked the crap out of that season with Curtis Painter. They knew their only chance was Andrew Luck.

Not a big believer in tanking theories, but there's little denying Painter was awful.

Interesting stat about Luck I just want to post here:

Since Luck was drafted, the Colts are 16-2 against their own division. They simply don't have another QB in the AFC South that is even average or has a chance of out-scoring them.

Against all other teams, the Luck led Colts are 17-13. Solid, a few games above .500 but a far cry from the domination that is 16-2.

Since coming into the league, Cam Newton and the Panthers are 14-10 against the NFC South.

Against all other teams, in the regular season, the Newton led Panthers are 18-21-1.

I'm not very familiar with Werner, but he plays defense, and my entire point was speaking to the offensive side of the ball.

Edit: Ahmad Bradshaw reworked his deal for less than 900k, he's gone this year anyway. The Colts did have some dropped passes last year, but they still had a number of weapons and put up a lot of yards. Hilton is one of the league's best WR's.

I still say the Colts tanked the crap out of that season with Curtis Painter. They knew their only chance was Andrew Luck.

Don't tell anyone, but our #1 WR lead the league in drops this year.

What game where you watching Wilson had 3 touchdowns and 0 picks while Newton threw 2 touchdowns and had 2 picks including a pick 6. Newtons passer rating was 79 and Wilsons was double that at 149. These kind of apologist comments are part of the reason Cam gets some of the criticism on this board.[/quote

Continuing to categorize I see....

I was not comparing the head to head Carolina / Seattle game and you know it

Have a nice Sunday

As big a fan as I am of Gettleman, being able to keep personnel in place like that is a tall order, one made even tougher by the fact that the Pats can point to a winning tradition that makes players want to play there.

We're still a long way away from building that kind of rep.

I don't know if it's that tall of an order.  We're not talking the elite, but role players, and there is only one Patriots, so there are plenty of solid role players available every year.  And to be honest, I don't think we're that far off.  I think we have a good team already, and with the expected additions of an OT and speed on the outside, I think our offense will become much more dangerous.  And that, along with our already stout defense, makes me believe that there is no reason we can't be a playoff team for the next few years.

And really, if we have one more good year, we will become one of the teams players look to hitch a ride with.  We already have a dynamic QB that brings us a lot of attention, and our defense is strong enough to make us a real threat in any game we play.  So we're already a team that is viewed as close, we just need to increase our offensive potency and show that we are here (as a playoff contender) to stay.   

Hold on, seriously? This probably isn't the best time to be defending the strength of the NFC South.

Are you serious? The NFC South finally had a down year after a pretty dominant period. The Division can bounce back, most importantly we have FRANCHISE QBs .The AFC South has been garbage since the Colts drafted Luck and even longer than that.

I don't know if it's that tall of an order. We're not talking the elite, but role players, and there is only one Patriots, so there are plenty of solid role players available every year. And to be honest, I don't think we're that far off. I think we have a good team already, and with the expected additions of an OT and speed on the outside, I think our offense will become much more dangerous. And that, along with our already stout defense, makes me believe that there is no reason we can't be a playoff team for the next few years.

And really, if we have one more good year, we will become one of the teams players look to hitch a ride with. We already have a dynamic QB that brings us a lot of attention, and our defense is strong enough to make us a real threat in any game we play. So we're already a team that is viewed as close, we just need to increase our offensive potency and show that we are here (as a playoff contender) to stay.

One good year away?

Even with this team's up and down history?

I like the optimism, but I'd be interested to hear more justification for it.

Plus, what happens if (God forbid) next year is a bad year?

Well stated.

There are a lot of folks here who seem to want to make Cam the highest paid player in the NFL to validate him.  To those folks I say, "Remember the good ole days when Marty Hurney was here?"  These are the same people who have been saying that Cam has no protection and no weapons.  Pay the man too much, and that trend will continue.

I have been saying for months, Gettlemen is not emotionally attached to Cam.  He can keep him for 2 more years if he wants, and he might do that while he finds and develops another qb.  Imagine if he traded Cam to Cleveland for their 2 #1 draft picks?  We would have 3 first rounders and $20 m to use in free agency.  Anderson was undefeated last year....

I doubt that happens, but if Cam is not committed to Carolina, if getting overpaid here is not enough for him, then maybe Gettlemen explores ways to turn a negative into a positive.  Yes, this site would explode, but they are not in Gettlemen's shoes, having to make football decisions that benefit the long-term development of the franchise.

I think the problem is what Indy is reportedly going to give Luck.  To be honest, none of these guys has earned the right to be the highest paid player yet, but with Luck, they are pushing them there.  I think Cam views himself on the same level as Luck (as well he should, IMO), and will expect to be payed in the Luck vicinity.  That's why he's waiting on him to set the bar.  He knows that based on other recent QB payouts, he'd probably get closer to 19 million a year or so, but if Luck gets 25, then he could probably get at least 21-22.     

I could also see a scenario where Wilson takes a lower total figure in exchange for a higher guaranteed amount, and Cam following suit to something like that.  But for that to happen I think the difference in guaranteed money would need to be significant.  Something in the 20 million range.  For instance, he could sign a 6 year 130 million deal with 50 million guaranteed, or a 6 year deal 102 million with 70 million guaranteed. 

I don't know what Cam will ultimately do, but I do think he will eventually sign a long-term deal here.  The idea that Gettleman won't overpay is true, but Gettleman also knows and understands the landscape of the NFL.  To keep a franchise QB, we're going to have to pay the going rate.  And with the deal Luck is expected to get, that going rate will be much higher than it is today.  And the fact that both Gettleman and Rivera keep spouting that Cam is our franchise QB tells me that he is prepared to pay him what the market dictates. 

Archived