• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton should be paid more than Luck or Wilson

Jeremy Igo

The test for me, for fans is this:

Would you be happy or pissed if Newton signed with the Panthers for $17 million per year?

Most here would be ticked off and complain becuase they think he deserves more. Same for Keek coming up, some peoples fandom of players gets in the way of their "big picture" team view in my opinion.

Go back just a few years to all the "Double Trouble ain't goin nowhere" discussions. How'd that work out for us?

Thank you!!! #missiontocivilize

DA won two games for us last year. Just saying. Cam went went 6-9-1 with the same offense. Cam is a very important piece to the offense and makes us better but he's not the end all be all. In no way should he get more than Luck. 18-19 a year and most of it guaranteed. Keep the cap hits low and spread out the guaranteed $$$.

5-8-1

My thing was, a 5 win season gets you more money than anyone in the NFL?

If Cams camp wants the huge payday, lets give it one more season and then decide.

There's no doubt that Cam is a more important part of the offense here than most quarterbacks are, but that doesn't mean he's deserving of more money.  It means that we haven't really done a lot around him.  If you put any top ten QB in Carolina they would probably win as many or more games, provided you also tailored a game plan to suit their strengths.  But if you ask Peyton Manning to avoid the rush the same way Cam does, then you're in for a heavy dose of the backup QB.

So his agent can make the argument all he wants, but if I'm Gettleman I respond with the market value.  Paying a player based on how much you think your team depends on him versus what he will bring on the open market leads to the contracts that everyone here has been criticizing over the past few years.

I don't think he get a Luck deal nor a Kaep one either, Newton has plenty of upside but still has issues ( as a young QB) running through his progressions or just misses the the open receiver. It will depend on the where the guaranteed money falls, Kaep has $60M over 5 years guaranteed but also has to meet a bunch of requirements to get more..

A Flacco model is probably more like it, an increasing base over 6 years to ensure that they improve with a $3/4M signing bonus and extras for making playoff/ all pro.

Regardless of the poor O line/ WR core, it's my opinion that the Panthers want to see better decisions on the field and an improvement from the 16th place QBR Newton had tlast year before he gets to a substantial base salary increases. 

Predict a 6 year deal @ $60M base/$20M in signing bonuses and Misc bonuses for performance...but may include a de-escalators for health//QBR/other. The base salary will be under $4M for the first three years with a signing bonus of around $4M a year .... 

what cracks me up is all of the people saying PAY HIM MORE THAN ALL THE QUARTERBACKS NOW! They're "worried" that he'll get all these weapons and have a record breaking season where we'll have to pay him a ridiculous contract next offseason. Which by the way makes no sense considering by their logic we would have already made him the highest paid before he proved he can be an elite QB. The Huddle cracks me up. Good thing we have a man with a head on his shoulders for a GM.

There's no doubt that Cam is a more important part of the offense here than most quarterbacks are, but that doesn't mean he's deserving of more money.  It means that we haven't really done a lot around him. 

Totally agree. But thats not Cam's fault. All I am saying is there a legitimate argument that his agent could make. 

Totally agree. But thats not Cam's fault. All I am saying is there a legitimate argument that his agent could make. 

Of course.  But to repeat myself, paying a player based on how much you think your team depends on him versus what he will bring on the open market leads to the contracts that everyone here has been criticizing over the past few years.

Of course.  But to repeat myself, paying a player based on how much you think your team depends on him versus what he will bring on the open market leads to the contracts that everyone here has been criticizing over the past few years.

normally I would agree. I didn't like the double trouble contracts at all. 

But I am not so certain all things are equal when talking QB. QB is disproportionately important to the team. 

Here we have a franchise QB that hasn't even entered the window of time that will be "his prime" yet. I think you pay whatever it takes to keep him here. 

What percentage of the salary cap are you willing to devote to just two of 63+ players (Cam and Luke)?

If we're going to go back to having massive cap devoted to just a few guys and having to skimp on the rest of the roster, what was the point of firing Marty Hurney?

So you don't think we should pay Cam and Luke?

Russel Wilson has proven he can lead his team to a Super Bowl, that's a golden feather in his cap. Andrew Luck I go back and forth with because he's a terrific passer with "footballl IQ". Then you see him make 3 or 4 of the stupidest plays imaginable that either put his team in a hole or outright cost them the game.

I don't really agree with the Igo logic that we should pay Cam more because our offensive personnel is so bad. In fact that would never cross my mind when I come up with a number. You negotiate with Cam and get the most team friendly deal you can. If the deal is the opposite of team friendly you tell him to play on the franchise number and accept he may leave.

There has been speculation Russel Wilson may have a fully garaunteed contract with a reasonable cap figure. I've always wondered if we could do this with cam. Say 5 years 70 million garaunteed? That's 14 million annually to him with plenty of cap space to get his help. Even give him an opt out after 4 years.

Nobody here would be mad or "ticked" if Cam got less than deserved. In fact, most of us hope we're able to get Cam for the low low. We're just able to look at his body of work, his supporting cast, what other young QBs have been provided with, and realize that he deserves to be paid up there with the Lucks and Wilsons. The only ones who are going to be mad or ticked is those who claim others will be mad. No matter what we pay him, they'll be mad. Unless we lowball him.

Archived