• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So how do we restructure/extend Charles Johnson?

thunderraiden

Most of the blatant offseason moves have been made, all that is left is the restructuring/extensions of Thomas Davis, Greg Olsen, and Ryan Kalil, they will all happen but they are trivial affairs, they will most likely be cut and dry with Gettleman creating a fair deal for both parties. However, things are a lot more complicated on the Charles Johnson contract.

With Charles he has 2 years left with 20 million this year and 15 million next year totaling 35 million. Now, I would love to have that spread over 4 years and it would also still be fair for both parties, but it ain't gonna happen in our wildest dreams, therefor, what realistically is possible with Charles Johnson's contract? I understand we all want to see a contract reconstruction but with only 2 years left and 35 million on hand, how does the process shake out? Here is a salary cap calculator to help out: http://overthecap.com/calculator/carolina-panthers

Since he's only 28, it would be nice to add 2 or 3 years averaging 7-9 million a year and spread the hit to be bigger this year and next, with a slightly decreasing number annually. Maybe be down around a $9 or 10M in the last year of the contract, as he will still be in his early 30s and capable of production that matches that number.

If you see him as the long term answer for 4 or more years you extend him for another 2 years and you convert a big chunk of his salary for 2015 and 2016 into a signing bonus paid out over 4 years. Right now his yearly salary is about half of his cap,hit So if you paid him 10 million in salary for 2017 and 2018 which would make His cap hit for all 4 years around 15 million which would be high but not that terrible for a good DE.

I know cj is our best DE under contract currently, but he did have a down year and 20 million dollars is something I'd expect JJ Watt to make in a season.

Here is a hypothetical question if we designate CJ as a june 1st cut and then use that money to go after Hardy would anyone be opposed to that? I know this is extremely unlikely to happen but IMO it puts us in better shape for the long term as long as Hardy can keep his nose clean. Keep in mind you also have to take into account Hardys possible suspension next year as well.

I know cj is our best DE under contract currently, but he did have a down year and 20 million dollars is something I'd expect JJ Watt to make in a season.

Here is a hypothetical question if we designate CJ as a june 1st cut and then use that money to go after Hardy would anyone be opposed to that? I know this is extremely unlikely to happen but IMO it puts us in better shape for the long term as long as Hardy can keep his nose clean. Keep in mind you also have to take into account Hardys possible suspension next year as well.

You'd also have to consider the fact you'd be paying Hardy upwards of 30 mil for potentially only 7 games.

Archived