• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Free Agent News

Mr. Scot

Because when you trade for him, that's the contract you get?

You realize they are trying to trade him, right?

Sure, but a trade is not likely.  The Texans don't want to carry his $16 million cap figure into next season, or the $14.7 million cap hit in 2016 for a guy that they don't even plan to start. That makes it almost a surety that they will cut him, and no GM in his right mind is going to pay that kind of money for the services of a 34 year old receiver (I don't care who the receiver is).

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins have "(internally discussed)" free agent Cecil Shorts.

Cleaning house at receiver, the Dolphins would be buying low on a player who appeared on the verge of exploding in 2012. Per reporter Barry Jackson, the Dolphins like what Shorts brings after the catch. According to Pro Football Focus, Shorts averaged 5.1 yards after the catch in 2014, a nice number. Recently released Brian Hartline and Brandon Gibson offered nothing after the catch.
Source: Miami Herald

I hope Hardy doesn't bow down to this joke of a league. I've accepted he won't be playing with us, but he shouldn't have to accept a damn thing considering he was only supposed to be put on the list until his case came to a resolution.

Well, it came to a resolution and they are still dicking him around and it's not right.

This fuging league is so lame.

Sure, but a trade is not likely. The Texans don't want to carry his $16 million cap figure into next season, or the $14.7 million cap hit in 2016 for a guy that they don't even plan to start. That makes it almost a surety that they will cut him, and no GM in his right mind is going to pay that kind of money for the services of a 34 year old receiver (I don't care who the receiver is).

You also understand that the dissension between he and the Texans is about money, right?

So he's gonna hit free agency and all of a sudden become REASONABLE about money? When he wasn't before?

You also understand that the dissension between he and the Texans is about money, right?

So he's gonna hit free agency and all of a sudden become REASONABLE about money? When he wasn't before?

It may be about money on the Texans' part, but not Johnson's part. For him it's all about feeling disrespected due to their vision for him in a reduced role. I don't know where you're getting this from. Johnson wanted to leave last off-season to go play for a contender. He has arguably been unhappy for the last couple of years. I have followed the guy, and money was never a big issue because he basically got a deal that reflected his value when it was time for his big payday. Hell, he even restructured three straight years just to make cap space for his team.

If you don't believe me, then perhaps you'll believe the ESPN writer for the Texans who literally says the break up on Johnson's part is not about the money. They never argued over his contract. Johnson is a reasonable and realistic guy that wants to play for a contender.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=houston-texans&id=10244&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%22%7D

Edit: And don't get me wrong, Johnson may get paid. That depends on the team. But that's not going to be the driving force. He wants a championship.

Archived