• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mel Kiper has us picking D.J. Humphries in his Mock 3.0

nctarheel0619

I would be happy if we drafted Humphries or Flowers in the first. La'el Collins is my top tackle preference but it seems like he will be gone before we pick. If those three were gone I wouldn't be against Cam Erving.

TJ Clemmings is raw and scares me because he has a chance of never developing into a starting tackle.

Humphries reminds me a lot of Morgan Moses last year. All along, Moses was considered a mid-round prospect, but as the draft got closer and closer there was more and more talk about him sneaking into the 1st round. He ended up going in the 3rd round. Kind of where he was thought to be all along.

Think Ju'wuan James.

Humphries is getting praise way earlier in the process. He has the best feet in the draft, and is decidedly athletic and agile for a person who is over 300 pounds. He just needs to be coached up about the nuances of the position.

Morgan was a glorified stiff.

In that respect they are all garbage but they help me get to know who the players are.

not necessarily, and I enjoy reading mock drafts too. when you get to carolina at 25, however, trying to justify a pick based on need is just not paying attention. put down the BPA, identify it as such and move to the next pick.

not necessarily, and I enjoy reading mock drafts too. when you get to carolina at 25, however, trying to justify a pick based on need is just not paying attention. put down the BPA, identify it as such and move to the next pick.

Makes me wonder exactly how they do it. They must literally rank hundreds of guys individually and then, the really hard part, against each other regardless of position. It must be an exhaustive process but draft day itself would be easy.

BPA is highly subjective and hardly ever right. Every draft GM's THINK x player is the BPA and that proves to be false. 

Additionally, do you honestly think if a QB or MLB was the BPA at our pick in the 1st we would draft him? Put down the pipe if you say yes. 

As I have said in the past, the best GM's can do is group players into PROJECTED tiers. ie 

ALL PRO PLAYER

QUALITY CAREER STARTER

DECENT STARTER

CAREER BACKUP 

etc 

etc. 

If you got two guys in the same ALL PRO tier potentially, you are gonna pick the one that fits your needs. 

Makes me wonder exactly how they do it. They must literally rank hundreds of guys individually and then, the really hard part, against each other regardless of position. It must be an exhaustive process but draft day itself would be easy.

I can imagine that Gettles big board has several players very close together, especially when you get to the later rounds. he always seems to pick someone who is great value at their spot.

BPA is highly subjective and hardly ever right. Every draft GM's THINK x player is the BPA and that proves to be false.

Additionally, do you honestly think if a QB or MLB was the BPA at our pick in the 1st we would draft him? Put down the pipe if you say yes.

As I have said in the past, the best GM's can do is group players into PROJECTED tiers. ie

ALL PRO PLAYER

QUALITY CAREER STARTER

DECENT STARTER

CAREER BACKUP

etc

etc.

If you got two guys in the same ALL PRO tier potentially, you are gonna pick the one that fits your needs.

I agree that everyone has a different ranking. I'm not saying they will accurately predict who will be gettlemans BPA at 25, im saying they need to justify their mock pick for us by saying it is the BPA to them. no one out side of the Panthers scouting elite knows what our board looks like.

Winston is probably the only QB who would be in DGs top 25. if he's still there at 25...well...we'll see

Archived