• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mix of Business and Family - based on Dickson comment

Galvatron

“They believe in keeping their own, and they believe in the guys that battled for them last year,” Dickson said. “It’s driven in this league to be all business, but when you can find coaches and staff that believe in certain guys and not just want to change it every year, that’s when you can get great things out of your team.” - Ed Dickson

It seems like the mix of Ron Rivera and Dave Gettleman is a winner. Dave says that the players play hard for Ron and respect him. That leaves Dave free to run the football business and make the tough calls. While I'm not saying that either are the best at what they do, I believe that the combination is special. I'm looking forward to this season and next because of what these two are doing together. It feels like there is an adult in the GM chair.

I agree that the combo of Ron and Dave is something special. Our team under these two has had amazing chemistry and has stuck it out and fought every single week, even after not having a win in nearly 2 months. I can understand why people don't like Ron, because he does have his flaws. But I think those flaws are greatly outweighed by his positives. And DG could easily become one of the best GMs ever if he continues at this rate. I'm really confident in this team going forward.

I have never been a Rivera fan but I have seen several players over the years say that they really like playing for him. Also I think you're right about DG and the combination may just be what generates sustained excellence.

That and getting rid of Shula will help that sustained success.  

But we did not over pay for FAs in the first few days of Free Agency.  We lost more than we won last year, and we beat a team with a QB worse than the NFL play 60 kid!  No one wants to play for our cheap GM!

Sorry, getting that non-sense over here because it's everywhere!

I am pretty happy with the direction this team is going, and I look forward to seeing where we go from here!  It's spring, so I'm allowed to hope!

I have never been a Rivera fan but I have seen several players over the years say that they really like playing for him. Also I think you're right about DG and the combination may just be what generates sustained excellence.

I'm on board with you. Rivera is a great defensive coach, but he has had his share of moments of the past couple of years. He can definitely get better in evaluating talent and game management. I have never been a huge fan of him due to the simple fact I felt like there was coaches who can run circles around him ex. Bruce Arians, Chip Kelly etc. But on that note, I think the team is going in the right direction and this season they must prove it.

But we did not over pay for FAs in the first few days of Free Agency.  We lost more than we won last year, and we beat a team with a QB worse than the NFL play 60 kid!  No one wants to play for our cheap GM!

Sorry, getting that non-sense over here because it's everywhere!

I am pretty happy with the direction this team is going, and I look forward to seeing where we go from here!  It's spring, so I'm allowed to hope!

The Panther's future is bright, not mortgaged.

I understand your frustration, but I was furious when I saw what Hurney did with the $$$ after the lockout.  That team won 4 games and he overspent to keep the core here.  Well, those contracts are now coming off the books.  He crippled this team to such a degree that we should have been in the basement ever since.  Since Gettlemen has been here, we have won an average of 9.5 games per season and have a 1-2 playoff record.  And he did it by NOT spending. 

We are better now than when Gettlemen arrived at nearly every position.  How in the hell did he do that?  He had a -$16m cap deficit, and we fielded teams with tons of dead money that were competitive. 

Who uses free agency to turn it around?  Name a team.  Remember in 2011 when the Eagles bought nearly every stud free agent and went 8-8?  The Bucs won free agency last year.  They pick first in the draft this season.  To me, Gettlemen is using free agency the only way you should. 

And this is why you don't throw a bunch of money to big named Free Agents who are basically strangers to your family (organization). Take care of your guys who add value or depth (Olsen, Dickson, Edwards, Cole, Anderson, etc.) and keep focus on what it will take to sign the leaders (Cam and Luke) of your organization to secure them long term. Using any freed up cap space to sign Cam long term while ignoring overpaid FA's would be the best off season move DG could make this year.

And this is why you don't throw a bunch of money to big named Free Agents who are basically strangers to your family (organization). Take care of your guys who add value or depth (Olsen, Dickson, Edwards, Cole, Anderson, etc.) and keep focus on what it will take to sign the leaders (Cam and Luke) of your organization to secure them long term. Using any freed up cap space to sign Cam long term while ignoring overpaid FA's would be the best off season move DG could make this year.

I don't understand why more fans don't get this...  they get caught up in "big names".

I guarantee that Gettleman has his eyes focused squarely on what he has to do to re-sign Cam and Luke. 

If anything, he *might* trade some picks for a player, but even that doesn't seem like his thing.

Sign quality low and mid-tier free agents, keep your core players intact and build thru the draft.

Idk to me just about every player says the same thing when talking about why they resigned. Realistically he would say " Well I decided to stay in Carolina because I didn't want to have to learn a new offense and change teammates, while my family would have to move as well."

Archived