• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kurt Coleman Info

Jeremy Igo

The most interesting news to me is that yet another FA signing gets a 2-year deal.

In 2013 Gettleman handed out a ton of 1-year deals (Munnerlyn, Mitchell, Ginn, Mikell, Florence, etc) and after some of those guys had breakout seasons they left and got paid. It left a lot of holes on the team and forced Dave to really hit a grand slam in back to back seasons on his cheap FA signings because of our cap situation. He swung for the fences again but missed badly on a few guys.

To me this is a sign of Dave adapting and making changes. And most importantly, learning from his mistakes. He's still sticking to his philosophy and gameplan, but he's improving upon it. He's confident that he can do his homework and find talented players that are cheap. But instead of giving them 1-year deals he's locking them up for 2-years. Now if any of these guys have a breakout season we get them for a cheap 2nd year instead of having to overpay them or lose them as a FA and have holes on the team all over again.

I like it.

totally agree, but my question would be: let's say he doesn't hit homeruns on these guys- what's the cap hit like to release them after this season?

Dude was terrible for Philly. Was a ST player moved to starter role bc of lack of depth. Can't cover and average tackler.

Rather have Louis Delmas

Agreed. I think a lot of us are just trying to talk ourselves into liking him. He really is nothing special. Bad in coverage and average tackler.

Nothing at all like Mike Mitchell who was a much better tackler and had way more recovery speed in coverage. Mitchell also brought swagger with his game that we wont get with Coleman. He can be a backup and special teams player but certainly isn't going to be as good as Mitchell. 

it's a shame that we were so bad on special teams that we have to use all our cap space on players who at the least will make good special teams players.

I mean, that's the reality of some of these signings...there is a real possibility that some of these guys may never sniff the field if a football isn't being kicked.

...are we still paying the same ST coach?

Man.. Book is apparently out on this guy. Nevermind he's only 26 coming off a year of solid NFL production.

The guy now has a chance to come to town and compete for a role. In his mind he's going for starter.

Too bad we gave him all that Jake Long money. Y'all remember that. derp..

And if you wanted a different safety.. Don't forget about the draft and these udfas coming in. You better believe there will be some competition at the position. No reason not to at this point.

Agreed. I think a lot of us are just trying to talk ourselves into liking him. He really is nothing special. Bad in coverage and average tackler.

Nothing at all like Mike Mitchell who was a much better tackler and had way more recovery speed in coverage. Mitchell also brought swagger with his game that we wont get with Coleman. He can be a backup and special teams player but certainly isn't going to be as good as Mitchell. 

According to PFF, Mitchell missed 18 tackles in 2013 and that trend definitely continued into 2014. Mitchell was a decent safety, but he wasn't nearly as great as we all remember him being... I think that just goes to show how poorly Carolina's safeties have played in recent years. 

What I love about Gettlemen so far in his short time here is that he usually brings in free agents that fill holes on the team so he doesn't HAVE to draft a particular player in the draft.

I believe this is his plan and it allows him to go BPA no matter what.

And others are offering opinions of him based on his days in Philly.  They signed him based on the progress he made lately, so put his baby photo albums up.  People change.  He even said, "I feel that I am ready to start." which suggests that he has been a developmental project.

Archived