• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers claim OT Jonathan Martin

jamos14

I wish our GM could figure this out like you have. So frustrating that he doesn't know poo.

Like I said your replacing dog crap with cat crap, and I understand it cause we have no cap space

But please don't start trying to hype these guys up like they are something special, don't tell me to be excited about signings two guys who have played crap the last two seasons.

Like I said your replacing dog crap with cat crap, and I understand it cause we have no cap space

But please don't start trying to hype these guys up like they are something special, don't tell me to be excited about signings two guys who have played crap the last two seasons.

I think it has a lot more to do with other available options as well as creating competition at the position.

Tell us what moves you would have preferred we made in the offseason at OT.

Thing is if your going to talk crap about the signings you should be give a alternative.  Guess Gettleman should have traded picks for a All Pro left tackle.  That would be the only way he could gotten a starting left tackle. 

Edited by Squirrel

I think it has a lot more to do with other available options as well as creating competition at the position.

Tell us what moves you would have preferred we made in the offseason at OT.

I don't mind the Oher, but I would have never signed Martin. Not only is he as bad as Bell but he's also a cry baby that alienated his teammates.

I'm already bracing myself for another bad season by the line. All I know is Cam better not take the fault this time around.

I don't mind the Oher, but I would have never signed Martin. Not only is he as bad as Bell but he's also a cry baby that alienated his teammates.

I'm already bracing myself for another bad season by the line. All I know is Cam better not take the fault this time around.

Why not sign Martin if you're not on the hook for any of his salary and you can bring him in and at the very least have some competition in camp? Don't you agree competition is a good thing? What if he pans out and can add some depth to the team? Don't you agree that OT depth is a good thing?

Seriously....what's one negative thing about signing him (other than you're obviously against him because he was bullied)

Edited by RoaringRiot

Why not sign Martin if you're not on the hook for any of his salary and you can bring him in and at the very least have some competition in camp? Don't you agree competition is a good thing? What if he pans out and can add some depth to the team? Don't you agree that OT depth is a good thing?

Seriously....what's one negative thing about signing him (other than you're obviously against him because he was bullied)

I'm pretty sure we are still paying him. And I'm not against him cause he was bullied I'm against him cause he sucks, every time I saw him play he sucked, why would I want someone whose terrible at his position on the team?

Incognito is indeed a grade A ahole, but if you go through the text you can see what kind of person Martin really is.

I'm pretty sure we are still paying him. And I'm not against him cause he was bullied I'm against him cause he sucks, every time I saw him play he sucked, why would I want someone whose terrible at his position on the team?

Incognito is indeed a grade A ahole, but if you go through the text you can see what kind of person Martin really is.

Let's be serious....how many time have you seen him play and tune in to exactly what he was doing each play?

We pick up the last year on his contract - which isn't much

He doesn't cost us any comp picks

We have no future obligation to him so if he's bad then we can release him

He's better than Chandler

If you don't think that's a good situation for the Panthers then you just don't like the guy. But he's better than the alternatives...

Let's be serious....how many time have you seen him play and tune in to exactly what he was doing each play?

We pick up the last year on his contract - which isn't much

He doesn't cost us any comp picks

We have no future obligation to him so if he's bad then we can release him

He's better than Chandler

If you don't think that's a good situation for the Panthers then you just don't like the guy. But he's better than the alternatives...

I'm from Miami so I saw him play quite often, and go to the Johnathan Martin thread in the niners forum if you want to see how inept he was in SF.

I don't like the guy cause he's a cheap pick up for the panthers and he's a slight upgrade over another terrible tackle? No I don't like the signing cause he's just plain bad at his job.

I'm from Miami so I saw him play quite often, and go to the Johnathan Martin thread in the niners forum if you want to see how inept he was in SF.

I don't like the guy cause he's a cheap pick up for the panthers and he's a slight upgrade over another terrible tackle? No I don't like the signing cause he's just plain bad at his job.

Welp....guess you're going to have to either deal with it or watch more Dolphins games.

I don't know about this, but I do see your opinion.

My thought is, an OL is made up of 5 guys that build chemistry, and are strong as a sum of their parts.

Oher, Remmers & Martin might not be All-Pro tackles or anything more than average tackles, but when they bookend Norwell-Kalil-Turner, the whole unit balances out their deficiencies.

I think 1 of these 3 tackles will emerge as an above average tackle this year. That gives you 4 out of 5 OL that are dependable. Norwell, Kalil, Turner and Remmers have 1/2 a season to build off of, and if they can stay healthy, I think this OL is instantly better than the crap we saw for most of last season in the trenches.

I might be a homer here, but I will wait to judge Oher before seeing him healthy and reunited with Matzko. I will also hold judgment on Martin until I see him with this team. We're getting Martin in late March, which gives him all offseason to get acclimated to the core of that line.

It wouldn't surprise me if both flop here, but knowing how changes of scenery and being fully removed from injuries can have positive affects, I'm willing to give them both the benefit of the doubt.

Regardless, I think if we roll out Oher-Norwell-Kalil-Turner-Remmers or Oher-Norwell-Kalil-Turner-Martin, it will be stronger, better and safer for Cam & the running game, than it was in 2014.

Considering the $1M pricetag for a former 2nd round pick that is only 25 years old, I'm good with it. Worst case it's depth if that horrible injury bug bites us again. Martin can step in and at least provide a band-aid.

Just my 2 pennies.

This is a pretty good analysis. I actually like both signings and don't think either will totally "flop" Martin will be a bit more under the radar here. That coupled with the bullying is old news and we have a strong group of mature plYers in the locker room could help get his head on straight which I believe is his biggest hold back from being a solid rotational guy.

Oher has more risk I think. I think we just need him to be a solid stop gap.