• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post Your Local Craft Breweries Here!

Montsta

Sweet man. We have a cabin in dugspur and my wife and I visited those. That get bent IPA is really good.

I'm pretty close to a lot of them. We live in Statesville so we can take 40 east or west to find some good ones like olde hickory to the west. Foothills to the east. And south on 77 to get to a lot in Charlotte. My favorite being NODA. Ghost Hop is really good there plus super nice people showed us around on the tour

I've been to Old Hickory, cool place. Had several of Foothills brews. I'm not familiar with Noda though, I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. That's why I like these types of forums and the Untappd app, helps with finding new Breweries,. Thanks.

I live in CO and everyone probably already knows most of the major ones (Oskar Blues, Avery, New Belgium, etc.) so I'll name some really good smaller ones.

Cannonball Creek in Golden

Mountain Sun in Boulder

Living The Dream in Littleton

Equinox in Fort Collins

Dry Dock in Aurora

So here's the thing with Pliny The Elder, and this is going to be a very long post, so if you aren't interested, move the fug along nothing to see here; it's difficult to get because the people at Russian River are (from what I hear) somewhat difficult to work with. The best comparison I've heard is like a Steve Jobs. He was very particular and if you didn't do things the way he wanted, you're fuged.

For example, the liquor store I buy most of my craft brew at here in Livermore is called Perry's and is owned by a guy that also owns a craft beer bar downtown called The Beer Baron. He had a distribution arrangement setup with Russian River (which is hard enough to get as it is, they intentionally short the market to keep demand high) to be able to sell their 750mL bottles in his store (yes, 750mL bottles, because RR refuses to do 22oz. bombers like everyone else on the planet, fugers).

Well, he decided to sell the Pliny in his other establishment as well, and they basically Vegas-Al-Capone-style blacklisted him for life.

Another one is that a pizza place I used to go to all the time in Fremont has 32 micro brews on tap rotating. The guy there told me RR won't distribute to them, because years ago the City of Fremont denied permits to RR for like a brewpub location and so now RR won't distribute to anyone in that city.

BevMo is a huge chain liquor store here in Cali, and RR won't even distribute to them (which is a godsend contract if you make craft beer) because BevMo wouldn't guarantee cooler space, just space on the shelf like everyone else. Russian River didn't want someone to pickup a beer and drink it warm and god forbid not like it, so they declined.

That being said, they deserve to have their beer experienced under their terms, because it is widely considered throughout the beer world as exceptional, and it is. So they are very careful about who they distribute to, and again, they intentionally short the market to keep a cult-like status.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Yes, I get Pliny all the time. I live a couple of hours drive from the brewery, so my wife and I will take a trip out that way every few months and I'll buy a couple cases of Pliny as well as Blind Pig (which I actually like better than Pliny, but both are great beers). While out there, we typically stop at Bear Republic in Healdsburg (of Racer 5 fame) and Lagunitas in Petaluma.

I don't know what the laws are for shipping alcohol, but so long as we aren't breaking any rules I'd be happy to buy you a case and ship it to you. Just pay me for the cost of the beer and shipping, I certainly won't mark it up or anything. I'll PM you next time I go out there, which will hopefully be soon because I'm out of BP and only have two Pliny's left that I've been saving for Warriors playoff basketball. :cheers:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByCarolinaHuddle1429332417.048726.jpg

That's cool, I actually like knowing the backstory. Sounds a lot like the soup nazi. It's crazy, because actually 2 buddies of mine have elevated PTE into cult status. I have to try it before I die.

I'm not sure if shipping alcohol across state lines is legal, I've been looking but can't find a definitive answer. I'd most def give you something, you know, for the effort.

post-9157-142967309674_thumb.jpg

Regardless, I hope you get to crack open those pliny's celebrating a warriors championship. If you don't mind, can you at least ship us Stephan curry? Or Thompson? Or David Lee? Hell, I'd settle for mareese speights.

NYC:

Bronx Brewery (Bronx)

Sixpoint Brewery (Brooklyn)

KelSo of Brooklyn

Brooklyn Brewery

Finback Brewery (Queens)

Other Half (Brooklyn)

Alphabet City Brewery (Manhattan)

Grimm Artisanal (Brooklyn)

Bridge and Tunnel Brewery (Queens)

Rockaway Brewing (Queens)

Flagship Brewery (Staten Island)

SingleCut Beersmiths (Queens)

Threes Brewing (Brooklyn)

Chelsea Brewing (Manhattan)

Gun Hill (Bronx)

Braven Brewing Company (Brooklyn)

Big Alice Brewing (Queens)

Evil Twin (Brooklyn)

Radiant Pig (Manhattan)

I'm going to New York in June, staying at a condo in Hoboken from June 7-14. I'll be doing all the touristy stuff but would love to get in some breweries. Which of all those are the best and easiest for me to get to by cab?

I'm not a big beer drinker, so I couldn't tell you which one is better. I'll gladly give you a list of cool bars to go to though. Many of which will have the beers from the breweries I listed. I'd also suggest not doing touristy stuff too much, lol. I'll gladly give you a list of fun stuff you should do instead!

Yeah that sounds good. I usually drink liquor at bars and beer at breweries or at home so that'll be cool. Tourist poo is unavoidable because of the wife, but I'd definitely like to hear about some other stuff to do too.

Yeah that sounds good. I usually drink liquor at bars and beer at breweries or at home so that'll be cool. Tourist poo is unavoidable because of the wife, but I'd definitely like to hear about some other stuff to do too.

I can only imagine what kind of bars Brooklyn Bully thinks are cool. Please report back to us if you're brave enough to check them out.

I live in CO and everyone probably already knows most of the major ones (Oskar Blues, Avery, New Belgium, etc.) so I'll name some really good smaller ones.

Cannonball Creek in Golden

Mountain Sun in Boulder

Living The Dream in Littleton

Equinox in Fort Collins

Dry Dock in Aurora

No love for Great Divide? This will not stand, sir!

Want to catch a Broncos preseason game?

SC is not really known for their breweries but there are a few hidden gems. Holy City in Charleston, SC is by far the best in the state. Its not even close. They brew amazing beers and always have a lot to choose from at the brewery.

Coast Brewing also in Charleston is pretty good as well. I enjoy just about everything they put out. They just don't have a lot to choose from usually.

Conquest Brewing in Columbia, SC is another that is pretty good. Medusa Stout is their best flagship beer and their Coffee IPA is a sleeper hit in my opinion.

My state also has 2 of the most over rated breweries I know as well. Westbrook in Charleston and Thomas Creek in Greenville are both pretty terrible in my opinion. I don't like anything Thomas Creek makes and outside of the flaships that Westbrook has they really don't make good beers.

Archived