• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McGinn's writeup on Shaq

Really? You're going to cite ESPN as a legitimate source? ESPN? The place where Mel Kiper went on a massive rant when we took Cam Newton because we already had Jimmy Clausen? That network? Where Skip Bayless works? ESPN? Yeah I'll take that opinion seriously. I also think the Hornets are going to win a championship next year and the Saints will win the South for the next 10 years.

Exactly....I used to work for ESPN.  They are nothing more than the National Enquirer of the sports world any more.

How can this many folks be upset? Dude hasn't played a down yet, he could win RDPY or be a bust. I will take the wait and see approach before commenting he's a Panther now.

Regardless of the pick most of us feel that the pick should have been on a starting LT or WR where we need help. Not on a LB. Not that hard to figure out.

We could have traded down to the top of the 2nd and still have gotten Shaq Thompson

What makes you so sure about that?

Doesn't sound like Shaq Thompson would've made it to second round. Had Carolina passed at 25, hearing Cowboys were ready to pounce at 27.

Cowboys were one of five teams to host Shaq on a visit. Four teams had formal workouts with him. (Carolina only team to do both.)

The thing that gets me, if we were so enamored with him, we could've traded back and picked up another pick in the process. The only team I'd see gambling on him outside of us would've been New England.

25 was a huge reach.

Shaq's not a reach, but it's fair to say he's a luxury pick. They are saying the same thing about the Saints taking Peat and the Colts taking Dorsett. All luxury picks on the surface. But look at 1-2 years down the road. We very might not have TD (old) and/or Harper (old). Saints very might not have RT Strief (old). Colts very might not have Andre Johnson (old) or Hilton (will be FA soon). GMs do what is best for the team in the big picture, not to please short-sighted fans and pundits craving instant gratification.

Also, I doubt Shaq would have made it past the Saints at 31. Shaq would have been a great weakside inside LB for Rob Ryan to scheme around with. Saints screwed us by taking Peat. We screwed them back by taking Shaq

from PFF:

31. New Orleans Saints - Stephone Anthony, LB, Clemson

This isn’t widely regarded as a great linebacker class, but we do like the Saints picking up Anthony here, especially given the fact Shaq Thompson went higher than him.

What makes you so sure about that?

45]

5e1b76a3b25e06286d24d25dfdb008b7_bigger.Adam Jude@A_Jude

Doesn't sound like Shaq Thompson would've made it to second round. Had Carolina passed at 25, hearing Cowboys were ready to pounce at 27.

45]

5e1b76a3b25e06286d24d25dfdb008b7_bigger.Adam Jude@A_Jude

Cowboys were one of five teams to host Shaq on a visit. Four teams had formal workouts with him. (Carolina only team to do both.)

forgot about the Cowboys. A bunch of mocks had them taking Shaq

Packers would have been another good spot for Shaq. Packers wanted to add a playmaker on D, and the best available was Damarious Randall, who they took even though they already took Ha Ha Clinton-Dix at #21 last year

their GM says:

"I don't know how that will work, but..it doesn't matter. He's still going to be on the field a lot of the time."

I hadn't posted for two hours. Why does it bother you that not everyone wants to give gettleman a backrub for every single move he makes?

I never said Thompson won't be good. I don't like the pick. In my mind, even if he comes out and kills it from start to finish, I still won't be a fan of the pick because a guy we actually needed (not wanted) was taken 4 spots later.

I'm honestly tired of talking about it myself... And that's because he has severely neglected WR in both FA and the draft for two years. Great, he got us KB... He also got us Cotchery, Avant, Demario Presley (lol), Bersin (lol), Underwood ( lol), and Boykin (lol). I purposely left Philly off the list because he actually has a viable chance of being an NFL player. That is not addressing WR. For a man renowned for all of his experience and football knowledge, how the f*CK can you possibly sign that list of guys and believe it when you tell people it'll work? You signed career slot guys and #4s and tell people you can just plug them in and they'll work like anyone else, lol. It is mind-blowingly dumb.

When we signed Cotch and Avant, I told everyone that espoused all the great things about them and cited cotch's 10 tds in the season before, that they were great in the appropriate role... Which is as situational guys out of the slot as a 3 or 4. It is not acceptable. It's like taking a guy's Lamborghini and then coming back and giving him a Pinto and saying, "don't worry, it drives, it'll do the same thing."

Look, I'll say this to everyone who seems to take it personal anytime someone doesn't agree with gettleman or his moves... Do you think I enjoy bitching and moaning about WR? Do you all personally think I can't wait to get on here and rain on your non-stop high-five parade? You think it's because I know you love gettleman and I apparently he hate him, so I can't wait to come troll you guys? Lol... No, man...

I've been here since 2004,and I'll be here until I leave this Earth old and grey - if we're not all communicating through a cloud or some poo by then lol. I'm a Panthers fan for better or worse. I'm bitching because I want what's best for my team, and imo, ignoring WR is a fatal flaw on a team that's very close to being a contender. I don't hate gettleman. I've hated some of the moves he's made, but I've also praised many he's made. Believe me, if he drafts 3 WRs through tonight and the weekend, I will be in complete chill mode. Now, if those WRs suck when the regular season comes around, then I'll point out that we should've signed a vet WR for reinforcement, but odds are, we will hit on at least one if we took three. That's all I'm asking... Address the position with speed and skill... Not that aforementioned pinto. We don't need a lambo, but at least give us a viper lol, and maybe some challengers and mustangs.

I promise you, I don't enjoy complaining. I'm only complaining because this is a board we share as fans of the same team, and these are my concerns that I feel hold our team back. If gettleman addresses WR thoroughly, I feel our team will be complete going into the season... Any changes needed from there would be extremely minor and easily fixable.

wait until the draft ends. If we don't draft a WR i will go nuts with you. But we will, probably a very good prospect too. This draft is loaded with WRs

"I think he's another Adam Archuleta," a third scout said. "Archuleta played linebacker and they moved him to box safety and blitzed him. Same guy."

that's actually a big compliment. After the 2005 season ended, Archuleta was one of the most sought after free agent safeties. The Redskins made him the highest paid safety, up to that point, in NFL history by signing Archuleta to a six-year, $30 million contract (with approximately $10 million guaranteed) on March 14, 2006

Archuleta was a great Pac 12 player, 2× First-team All- Pac-10, Pac-10 Defensive P.O.Y. (2000) that got drafted #20 overall. His problem was he was old as hell. He was 24 years old as a rookie. He was very good his first 5 years in the NFL with the Rams, and he played all over: OLB, SS, FS. But after the Redskins made him the highest-paid safety in the NFL, he sucked. Got old. Got paid. New scheme/defensive coordinator/team. But he was a great draft pick for the Rams at #20

Archived