• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who would you have picked - Round 1

AU-panther

The main crybabies always manage to avoid going on the record for who they would have picked. They'll pipe in about 3/4 of the way through the season if some one that got drafted after Shaq is balling out (even if Shaq proves to be an absolute game changer)

And this is exactly why I started this thread. It's easy to point out someone better after they have played 10 games this upcoming season. Chances are somebody after Shaq will turn out better, but there will also be some that are worse. This is true with most draft picks.

Even in this thread people hedge their bets by naming 2-3 players. GMs don't have that luxury, hence the reason I asked just for one name.

And this is exactly why I started this thread. It's easy to point out someone better after they have played 10 games this upcoming season. Chances are somebody after Shaq will turn out better, but there will also be some that are worse. This is true with most draft picks.

Even in this thread people hedge their bets by naming 2-3 players. GMs don't have that luxury, hence the reason I asked just for one name.

I had the same thought last year. Not a whole thread, but I started calling them out in threads and no one would commit. Good effort on your part, but don't expect much from the most vocal critics.

I've been saying forever Shaq would be a great pick at #25. I would have preferred an OT, but we got hosed with the run on OTs (six OL off the board before we picked!). As for WR, Gettleman pretty much flat out told us before the draft we are targeting a WR in the later rounds:

WHAT ABOUT WR?

Max Henson @ PanthersMax

25m

There isn't as much top-end WR talent this year, but Gettleman

feels 2015 WR class could offer more depth.

Steve Reed @ SteveReedAP

35m

Gettleman on WR group: Feels there is a lot of value. Said last

year's group was "unique." But says more depth in this year's

group.

Joe Person @ josephperson

42m

While saying how special WR group was last year, Gettleman

says there's more depth at the position this year.

Jonathan Jones @ jjones9

38m

Gettleman: More depth at WR in this year's group

Carolina Panthers @ Panthers

42m

Gettleman feels that there is more depth at WR in this year's

draft than last year.

Id have drafted Malcom Brown, for me he was BPA that slid, its really bugging me the Pats took him.

Cam still wouldn't have gotten help from me round 1. He really needs it round 2 now so I'm expecting us to draft Shaqs teammate Kikaha in round 2.

I just feel so trolled by Jordan Gross today, he called it days ago. The other name they were pimping was Humphries BTW.

Is trade up for Humphries an option?

If not probably Malcom Brown or Jake Fisher. Possibly Landon Collins, but I feel the same way about him that I do about Shaq. The position they play is not the position where their skill set projects best to. Shaq is a SS playing LB and Landon is a LB playing SS.

I wasn't thrilled about any of our options after Humphries went. All the guys I liked as 1st rounders went before our pick. I love Dorsett but he was never a 1st rounder for me. He was a reach at 29. Same for Devin Smith and Perriman.

Is trade up for Humphries an option?

If not probably Malcom Brown or Jake Fisher. Possibly Landon Collins, but I feel the same way about him that I do about Shaq. The position they play is not the position where their skill set projects best to. Shaq is a SS playing LB and Landon is a LB playing SS.

I wasn't thrilled about any of our options after Humphries went. All the guys I liked as 1st rounders went before our pick. I love Dorsett but he was never a 1st rounder for me. He was a reach at 29. Same for Devin Smith and Perriman.

The problem with trades is there are no guarantees you find a reasonable trade partner.

Like you I was disappointed after Humphries came off of the board. I was hoping we might trade back.

The problem with trades is there are no guarantees you find a reasonable trade partner.

Like you I was disappointed after Humphries came off of the board. I was hoping we might trade back.

I agree and without knowing what the options were it's hard to criticize on that point. I just know there was nothing I liked at all at that spot and while trading up would have been nice to get Humphries, Detroit got a great deal that was better for them than anything we could have reasonably offered and Pittsburgh probably fell over themselves turning the Dupree pick in. I'm not sure there was anywhere to go without giving up way too much.

That 1st round was worst case scenario for me. If someone had given me a semi-decent offer to just move out I would have. No need to force a pick you're not sure about. Obviously Gettleman felt differently and he hasn't let us down yet in the draft so I can take solace in that.

Archived