• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thomas Davis #38 in PFF Top 101 Players

Bartin

Good to see him get some recognition for his play on the field.

38. Thomas Davis, LB, Carolina Panthers (52nd)

The medical marvel that is Davis shows no signs of slowing down. His 2014 season was another for the ages with his work in coverage as good as any linebacker. He might not have the picks to earn the praise, but his ability to keep things in front of him and limit the yardage after the catch. Some stellar work rushing the passer added to the notion that there aren’t many linebackers you’d rather on the field on a passing down than Davis.

Best Performance: Week 11, ATL @ CAR, +4.7

Key Stat: Tied with the Broncos Brandon Marshall for the highest coverage grade of any 4-3 outside linebacker.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/14/pffs-top-101-of-2014-40-to-31/

How do they compare different position groups? Does the importance of a QB (or DE, LT, etc) over a LB automatically place the top QBs above TD? If so then being ranked 38 is actually pretty damn high in my opinion, considering how little respect he's gotten in his career outside of the Carolinas.

How do they compare different position groups? Does the importance of a QB (or DE, LT, etc) over a LB automatically place the top QBs above TD? If so then being ranked 38 is actually pretty damn high in my opinion, considering how little respect he's gotten in his career outside of the Carolinas.

- This list is created with an All Positions Created Equal mantra. So you won’t see 32 quarterbacks heading the list even though that is the most valuable position, instead seeing how guys played relative to what is expected from their position. You might disagree with this for doing a Top 101 list which is your right, but this is how we’ve done it for the past four years and will continue doing it so that every player has a fair shot at getting the respect they deserve.

- This list is created with an All Positions Created Equal mantra. So you won’t see 32 quarterbacks heading the list even though that is the most valuable position, instead seeing how guys played relative to what is expected from their position. You might disagree with this for doing a Top 101 list which is your right, but this is how we’ve done it for the past four years and will continue doing it so that every player has a fair shot at getting the respect they deserve.

Thanks. I wonder how they determine "what is expected from their position."

Thanks. I wonder how they determine "what is expected from their position."

It's basically how they do their grading system. They don't grade positively for doing what an NFL player is expected to do. It's how Brady got a negative grade in the Super Bowl despite throwing for 350+ yds, 4 TD's and having a 74% completion percentage. Most of his throws were short routes to open receivers which every QB should complete so he gets a zero grade for that.

On a side note, thankfully it looks like the PFF Lavonte David circle jerk is over.  I'm glad.

Dude is a good player, but holy hell they hyped him up unbelievably so in 2013 and had so many people thinking he's so much more than what he actually is... just simply a good player - not some game changer.

Archived