• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

That Other Panther Receiver....Jarrett Boykin

SetfreexX

With the Corey Brown ''Highlight Thread'' going up, I thought I'd take a look at the newest non-drafted Panther receiver. I must say I had some familiarity with him, but just comparing the videos I saw more separation, ability to go up and fight over DB's, HANDS catching and YAC. From the Brown video, I saw body catch after body catch, a receiver who fell damn near every catch, and no real separation. He looked good as a gadget guy on the edge during the reverses and option play.

But what does he really offer over Ginn who already put up better numbers in this offense in the same 3rd receiver role who has KR/PR value...and over Boykin who is a better receiver prospect? Oh and just for fun here's some Ted Ginn highlights in case you forgot what we lost in the 2014 purge, enjoy....

I think there is going to be quite a battle for the #3 position between Ginn, Boykin, Brown, Cotchery and even Hill. 

I believe that Boykin will win out, he had a great #3 role 2 seasons ago. Brown will be great depth for years and should see plenty of snaps as well. Hill doesn't strike me as a fast learner, but I believe he will absolutely make the roster this year and contribute.

Ginn will be insurance and help stretch the field on certain plays. Maybe he plays special teams if one of the other 23332634743 special teams players we signed doesn't beat him out. I think Byrd will take his spot next year. Cotchery.....vet leadership and not much more. Wouldn't be shocked if he was the odd man out for a younger guy. One of these names wont make the cut, and that's a good problem to have.

I think people are way overhyping Byrd. He is fast. Has he really proven anything else? He might be good, but people just see that 40 and assume he is everything we ever needed.

Agreed. Dude can't catch. Most likely won't even make the team

Agreed. Dude can't catch. Most likely won't even make the team

in Byrd's defense... Jeremy and David Newton both said he was catching everything in sight at rookie camp, with no-name QBs throwing him and forcing him to adjust to badly thrown footballs. Newton even said that Byrd caught more than Funchess did...

we need to wait to criticize Byrd until the pads go on because as of right now, he's showing some promise

Archived