• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL moves extra point to 15 yard line

Dex

The NFL is going about this the wrong way - if they want more two-point attempts, the solution is to make two-point attempts easier. That could be accomplished by moving the ball to the 1-yard line on all try attempts, and by requiring teams to attempt the try from the hash-mark where they scored from (similar to rugby). This would make it easier to score a two-point conversion, either off a fake or a regular play, and harder to get the extra point.

I'd like something like this...

Touchdowns are worth 7 points period.

0-39 yard FGs worth 3 points

40-49 yard FGs worth 4 points

50+ yard FGs worth 5 points

Scoring would technically increase this way, which is what a lot of networks want.

or

All FGs under 50 yards worth 3 points and all FGs 50+ worth 4 points.

Would actually make the kicking game interesting if they are intent with keeping that part of the game alive may as well make it interesting and make decisions on whether or not to kick the FG more impactful. It also never made sense to me that a 29 yard FG is worth the same as a 50+.

or

Just remove kicking altogether...no FGs and Start at the 25 yard-line after each score.

Then you're rewarding bad offense.

Get too close and you get penalized. That's just strange.

I think FGs should be reduced. 1-2 pts max. Or increase the value of a TD. A 4 point kick from the 35-40 yard line is easier than getting a TD. Teams would then pay a premium for beastly kickers and then we would really have "foot"ball.

Eeeehhh, not really.

Percentage isn't cumulative.

Yes it is.

You try for one 2 point conversion, you have a 47% chance of success.

If you try twice, you have a 94% chance of success. (47% + 47%)

However, if you try three times, you now have a 141% chance of success! As long as we go for at least three two point conversions per game, we are GUARANTEED to convert them!

(I don't know how I passed descriptive statistics)

If this was younger cam,I would have him line up behind center and superman over the pile everytime or qb sneak from the shotgun, damn near unstoppable

Funny you should say that. Here's an article on the 5 biggest beneficiaries of the new rule change...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493417/article/five-beneficiaries-of-the-extrapoint-rule-change?campaign=Facebook_atn_wesseling

Espn was dissecting and said a 32 yard FG % success rate was 91%

The 2 point play was 47%

So you technically have a higher percent chance of getting 2 points off 2 two point attempts than 2 32 yard PATs

Therefore attempting 2 two point plays become vastly more appealing to many teams. Will it? probably not for many.

I hated stats in college so I look at this differently then some have explained it. Feel free to correct if I'm wrong.

Based on the odds presented by ESPN I can expect 91 points if I try 100 PATs. If I try 100 2 point conversions I can expect 94 points.

3 extra points over the course of 100 TDs doesn't seem like enough incentive to sway most coaches. I'm not saying they shouldn't, just seems like most coaches like the safe play. Less likely to be second guessed that way.

If a team could get to around 65% success rate on 2pt conversion that would increase the potential gain to around 39 points. If we assume 3 TDs a game it would take roughly 33 games to realize this extra 39 points. Here again I don't expect many teams to make the 2 pt conversion their default choice.

Archived