• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Newton still dive head first during preseason?

Donald LaFell

I listened to it this mornin' just now. 

Regular season he can do whatever he wants to do that helps the team win, preseason he should cool it. No denying it. No sense in worry about what I can't control I guess. I just hope he doesn't get a knee in the ribs again. 

As far as I can see anatomically, your ribs are exposed no matter if you dive or slide.

In what way can you slide feet first and NOT expose your ribs?

If you dive head first a defender will over shoot you and hit your ass. If you slide baseball style, feet first, you cleats can dig in and tear poo and that defender that over shot hits your head instead of your ass! My guess

If you dive head first a defender will over shoot you and hit your ass. If you slide baseball style, feet first, you cleats can dig in and tear poo and that defender that over shot hits your head instead of your ass! My guess

​I'd rather Cam take it on the ass than on the head...

I've always been of the opinion that Cam should continue what he's doing with regards to sliding. Start trying to change things up, and he fugs around and tears an ACL. Then we'd be really screwed. Keep doing what you do young Cam.

I was at the game in 2008 against the Bears where Lance Briggs absolutely creamed Delhomme in the middle of his slide. Unflagged, too. It leaves the QB totally defenseless. I like him diving more. But in preseason i agree, he shouldn't run at all.

Cam is not as good as Manning, nor does he even play the same style, it would be stupid to use him as such. However I have always agreed he needs to stop racking up all those rushing yards. If we can't coach RBs to get those tough yards we will never get very far, period.

Cam is as good as Manning right now but Manning is declining fast.

I was at the game in 2008 against the Bears where Lance Briggs absolutely creamed Delhomme in the middle of his slide. Unflagged, too. It leaves the QB totally defenseless. I like him diving more. But in preseason i agree, he shouldn't run at all.

​Yeah, I think Cam is fine protecting himself the way he is doing it now.

Ask Brian Hoyer how he feels about sliding.

The only negative about diving/falling down as opposed to sliding is that refs won't throw a flag on a late hit/cheap shot whenever Cam falls down.  They're considered still in the act of a football move when they fall down and defenders have free reign on them to make sure they're "down by contact".  You see it all the time when Cam gives himself up... defenders come flying in and hit him while he's on the ground to get an easy shot at him.  The Bucs and Saints do this poo constantly whenever we play them.  Even the Falcons pansy asses tried it last year before Cam got up and punked them down.

When they slide, you're not supposed to so much as touch the QB.  Sometimes they let it go, but more times than not the refs will throw a flag when a defender makes unnecessary contact with a sliding QB.

Honestly, they need to throw flags on defenders whenever QBs fall down as a means of giving themselves up as well.  It's safer than sliding, but they allow defenders to get in a cheap shot despite the fact the QB has ended the play and given himself up.

Cam is not as good as Manning, nor does he even play the same style, it would be stupid to use him as such. However I have always agreed he needs to stop racking up all those rushing yards. If we can't coach RBs to get those tough yards we will never get very far, period.

​Most of the rushing yards have come on busted pass plays where receivers can't get open or the line breaks down completely. It's not like Cam running is taking the place of a RB carrying the ball. We can effectively have both, in addition to a solid passing game, if we get the tools to do so. Not sure Shula is able to do so, but I'm willing to let him have a year where we have the players to be successful to show what he can do.

The only negative about diving/falling down as opposed to sliding is that refs won't throw a flag on a late hit/cheap shot whenever Cam falls down.  They're considered still in the act of a football move when they fall down and defenders have free reign on them to make sure they're "down by contact".  You see it all the time when Cam gives himself up... defenders come flying in and hit him while he's on the ground to get an easy shot at him.  The Bucs and Saints do this poo constantly whenever we play them.  Even the Falcons pansy asses tried it last year before Cam got up and punked them down.

When they slide, you're not supposed to so much as touch the QB.  Sometimes they let it go, but more times than not the refs will throw a flag when a defender makes unnecessary contact with a sliding QB.

Honestly, they need to throw flags on defenders whenever QBs fall down as a means of giving themselves up as well.  It's safer than sliding, but they allow defenders to get in a cheap shot despite the fact the QB has ended the play and given himself up.

​Good point.

​they would have to make a rule, for example, that the QB can't extend the football then. It wouldn't be fair that the defender couldn't defend against a QB diving and extending the football with his arms. 

Archived