• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cerebral move for future..?

bLACKpANTHER

We all witnessed LeBron 'retun home' this past offseason and are all keeping an eye on Durant and if he will go back to DC when his contract is up.

So with that in mind, Steph Curry's contract is up in 2 years too. People have hinted at the possibility of him 'coming home' to Carolina- even the Commish mentioned it in passing when we were awarded the All-Star game. Now, team have been positioning themselves for Durrant for months now, what if we positioned ourselves for Curry right now? How, do you ask? Well, I'm glad you did.. Steph Curry is up in 2 years and David Lee has been documented as Steph's best friend on the Warrior's roster. What if we offered David Lee a fair 3 year contract. That way when Curry is up for FA- he will be looking at 'Home' and see his best bud on the team already. I know we already have a abundance of Bigs right now, but we could trade Zeller and Marvin comes off the books next year. I think it would be smart if we truly are eyeing a return home for Steph.

Ideas?

I'm 100% positive Curry will play with this team,... when he's in the twilight of his career. Golden State would pay ANYTHING to keep him.

Golden State will pay anything and with Bird Rights and contract voodoo they'll be able to pay more. For Curry to come here he is going to want to come home for less (still gonna be a lot) and bring a struggling franchise out of the cellar. That's the only way Curry plays for the Hornets in 2 years.

I'm 100% positive Curry will play with this team,... when he's in the twilight of his career. Golden State would pay ANYTHING to keep him.

I'm sure Cleveland would have paid anything to keep Lebron. The truth is simply it is not the teams choice. If Steph wants to come play here, he will. I'm sure we will offer him the max. If he wants to stay in the Bay, then they will offer him the max. Nothing we can do but wait. Signing David Lee would be an overreaction imo. I'd see where we stand in the 2017 free agency period before adding player to try and lure Steph.

We are not getting Steph Curry y'all.

Hearing this is just as annoying as hearing people act like we will certainly get him. No player has ever given more hint to a return then Steph has to Charlotte. He spends most his time in Charlotte. His dad works for the team and he is friends with many former Hornets. Of course he grew up here and has family here as well. 

Now even with all that it is still nothing but conjecture. However he has stated before he has always imagined what it would be like to play for his hometown. Obviously the comments below don't make anything become certain. But it would be ignorant to act like their isn't a fair possibility he'd return home. 

“That’s hard to get out of your head, but obviously, it has no bearing on decisions that I make down the road,” said Curry, who can become a free agent after the 2016-17 season. “It’s just a fun thought to have. The Hornets name does mean a lot to my family, and obviously I’m starting a new thing with the Warriors. I definitely feel right at home here (with Golden State).” …

Curry raised some eyebrows in August when he told CBS Sports Radio he “always had thoughts about playing at home, what it would be like.” LeBron James, the four-time MVP, had made it a reality by signing again with Cleveland and going home.

“I’ve always thought about it, but who wouldn’t want to play in front of the fans and family that watched me grow up?” Curry, who’s in the middle of a four-year, $44 million contract with the Warriors, said this week.

------------------

"I've always had thoughts about playing at home, what it would be like," Curry said. "My dad played there for 10 years, and people around the Greater Charlotte area in North Carolina have done a lot for my family growing up, so you always think about it.

"Right now I feel like I've got three years left on my deal, so this isn't going to be an issue for me for a while. I love the Bay Area and where we are as a team trying to win a championship, and that's what it's all about. Of course everybody dreams about or thinks about what it's going to be like to play at home. Obviously if that opportunity comes along it's a different discussion."

Steph has won an NBA ring, MVP, etc.

He can now do what he wants, and coming home to CLT is not out of the question.

It's definitely not out of the question but the main question should be why come to Charlotte minus the fact that its home? If we are still in the same situation that we are in now I don't think Steph will return just my honest opinion.

Home is the reason.

I would stay in GS if I had not won a championship, but now that he has, he can try to bring one to CLT as has been referenced with Lebron, make a lot of money, AND be home and bring up his kids around family

Maybe he cares about greatness, going somewhere where they haven't won before, and making that his franchise for history.  Like Jordan and the Bulls.  Lebron will be remembered for someone that had to have a full cast, but maybe Steph wants it different.  Who knows though.

I don't think these moves are being made with the idea of Curry in mind as much as the idea of the team not being a laughing stock come the 2017 All-Star Game.

It's one thing to acquire players in a desperate attempt to keep an impending free agent on the team satisfied, but trying to acquire Warrior cast-offs to lure him away would be...well...not a good idea, to put it lightly.

With the cap jumping up, it looks like we would need to have around 30-40 million clear to take our shot, and if the books are any indication right now that is definitely doable as long as we spend responsibly (don't overpay MKG, Batum, DO NOT PAY AL.)

Even if it doesn't work out, IMO just getting a guy like Curry in for a visit would be a victory in and of itself and show that little ol' Charlotte can be a factor in the upper echelon of free agency. With his and his family's strong connection to the area and the organization, it would be irresponsible NOT to at least reach out and gauge interest.

Archived