• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers.com spotlights Lee Ward

Mr. Scot

What exactly does Brockel do other than be a backup fullback? Unless he's a big special teams guy, I don't see an issue with swapping him for Ward.

he does play a ton of special teams, and he would've been very helpful when they ended up having to keep Olsen in to block.  Tolbert is a tremendous run, pass blocker and a weapon on both offense and special teams.  

I know it's easy to get hyped for Ward, and I root for everyone.  He's talented.  But let's let him stand out on a Panthers football field before we give him a roster spot. 

Last year we started the season with 4 running backs on the roster (Stewart, Williams, Tolbert, and Fozzy).  Also Brockel made the team.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Breaking-down-the-53-man-roster/f8b6396f-4ac3-4bc5-b3d3-97deec514f5a

If you consider Brockel more of a fullback then a tight end that would mean that we allocated 5 roster spots to the RB/ FB positions.

Stewart will be the starter.  I really don't see us cutting Tolbert.  Also CAP is probably safe based off of draft position.  

I would think the final roster decisions will be something like this:

Stewart

Tolbert

CAP

Fozzy or Todman

Brockel or Ward

Last year we started the season with 4 running backs on the roster (Stewart, Williams, Tolbert, and Fozzy).  Also Brockel made the team.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Breaking-down-the-53-man-roster/f8b6396f-4ac3-4bc5-b3d3-97deec514f5a

If you consider Brockel more of a fullback then a tight end that would mean that we allocated 5 roster spots to the RB/ FB positions.

Stewart will be the starter.  I really don't see us cutting Tolbert.  Also CAP is probably safe based off of draft position.  

I would think the final roster decisions will be something like this:

Stewart

Tolbert

CAP

Fozzy or Todman

Brockel or Ward

I consider Brockel to be a TE, as he's listed, but a blocking TE, and I think Ward has more potential value. I'm hoping they keep 4 RBs. I can't see cutting Fozzy or Todman, and CAP and Stewart are locks. Tolbert is listed as a FB and I never include him in the RB group. I don't see Mike losing his spot, but I do think they hope Ward can take it over eventually. 

I consider Brockel to be a TE, as he's listed, but a blocking TE, and I think Ward has more potential value. I'm hoping they keep 4 RBs. I can't see cutting Fozzy or Todman, and CAP and Stewart are locks. Tolbert is listed as a FB and I never include him in the RB group. I don't see Mike losing his spot, but I do think they hope Ward can take it over eventually. 

It's not unusual for a Coryell offense to have some flexibility between backup fullbacks and tight ends (sometimes even starters). 

Brockel fits the 'h-back' mold, but I'd say his true position is kind of a 'whatever back', i.e. he'll do pretty much whatever the coaches want him to.

Truth be told, unless Ward shows he can do the same, thats an advantage for Brockel.

This team looooooves versatility.

Gettleman has stated that he doesn't do position quotas. His approach to final cuts is to find the best 53.

The big question will be whether Lee Ward is part of that.

Honestly, I think Lee Ward is better than Brockel and Todman. Brockel has been on the panthers for 5 years now, if he hasn't found his place yet, don't want him to hold back Lee Ward.

Archived