• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Worst places to live in NC

Darth Biscuit

I always thought Kinston was the butthole of NC... turns out it's only the 6th worst place to live...

http://www.roadsnacks.net/places-in-north-carolina-who-need-a-hug/

1. Forest City
  2. Rockingham
  3. Tarboro
  4. Statesville
  5. Hamlet
  6. Kinston
  7. Whiteville
  8. Wadesboro
  9. Eden
  10. Dunn
I can vouch for statesville. It only took my mother a year to high tail it out of there when I was growing up.

Lol at Tarboro making the list while Rocky Mount doesn't, when it tied for 7th on their "Most Dangerous Cities in NC" list.  Should probably use a weighted scale when determining the worst city to live in, as I don't think population density and housing vacancy rates have nearly as much to do with how great or shitty a city might be to live in vs. things like education/employment/crime rate.  Now that I think about it, might as well just count the whole Nash/Edgecombe/Halifax tricounty area as one giant poo hole that tops the list.

how the hell was reidsville not on there

I used to teach in Rockingham County, Reidsville & Eden both blow.  When the textile industry left for China and SE Asia that county turned into a pile crap.  It is slowly rebounding from what I hear with Remington and one other large company (I can't remember the name) coming in.  

Considering that Hickory was recently voted the most miserable city in America, I find it odd that it is not on this list. Also, Statesville is not great, but they have gotten a whole hell of a lot better than when I left that town 10 years ago.

I live in the Hickory area. Nobody except northerners dislike it here.

Hickory has also been voted one of the best places to live in the country. Those lists are useless.

Hickory isn't that bad honestly. It's nothing special, but it's not terrible either. It beats any of the thousands of desolate towns in NC/SC.

I live in the Hickory area, have been my whole life. There is nothing bad about it. We're around an hour away from Boone, Asheville, Statesville and Charlotte. There's not a lot of attractions (outside of the speedway, mall, lake, and minor league team) but there are plenty of restaurants, and if you are really itching to do something uptown Charlotte is a fairly short drive away.

The people that do not like Hickory are the people that do not like rural/small town North Carolina. Namely, northerners. Not sure why they keep moving here. We're not any different than the dozens of other mid-sized cities. Nothing special, nothing bad. 

I used to teach in Rockingham County, Reidsville & Eden both blow.  When the textile industry left for China and SE Asia that county turned into a pile crap.  It is slowly rebounding from what I hear with Remington and one other large company (I can't remember the name) coming in.  

back when i was a dumb teenager with a pickup truck and gas was $1.29 a gallon i used to just fill that thing up and drive north of kernersville where i grew up. i explored every back road and dirt track from stokesdale to browns mcleansville and every place in between, but despite that one time in reidsville was more than enough for me. my god, what a depressing place. i drove downtown past the old laundry shops and cobbler ads and that giant industrial plants that was a cigarette factory or something and wanted to blow my brains out.

i've never been back.

back when i was a dumb teenager with a pickup truck and gas was $1.29 a gallon i used to just fill that thing up and drive north of kernersville where i grew up. i explored every back road and dirt track from stokesdale to browns mcleansville and every place in between, but despite that one time in reidsville was more than enough for me. my god, what a depressing place. i drove downtown past the old laundry shops and cobbler ads and that giant industrial plants that was a cigarette factory or something and wanted to blow my brains out.

i've never been back.

You grew up in K'ville? That's where I live.  Been here since 86'.  Yeah, I think you need to drop by and have a drink soon.

You grew up in K'ville? That's where I live.  Been here since 86'.  Yeah, I think you need to drop by and have a drink soon.

yeah i lived there for years, off the north end of piney grove road. i'd have sworn we talked about it at the draft party, but i remember like three things from the draft party, so maybe not. i make it back that way on occasion for nostalgia's sake.

we'll have to get up to watch a game this season, might be cool to get a couple of the winston-salemites together at a bar

Criteria used - population density (the lower the worse)

Definitely don't agree with this.  Guess the author just doesn't like small towns.  One of the things I like about living in Winston (actually just south of Winston in Midway), is that I am close enough to go into town and do a few things, without having to regularly deal with the traffic and crowds in a place like the Triangle or Charlotte. 

I grew up in Wilson and then moved right outside of Knoxville in 11th grade. When I go back to Wilson to visit my grandparents, I'm more and more thankful every time that I got the hell out of that town. Flat and ugly and I didn't have a great group of friends. I was headed in a dangerous direction there.

Archived