• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Rookie Report - Day 4

Jeremy Igo

Cameron Artis-Payne is doing all he can to move up the depth chart. Payne impressed in goal line drills today when the play was designed as a run to the left, but instead he saw an open hole and cut it back quickly to the inside for the touchdown. He showed excellent vision and burst. Improvements still need to be made in pass protection if he is to get any real playing time, however. If you cannot pass protect as a running back on the Panthers, you won't see many snaps. 

To be fair, exceptions have been made to that rule before.

(there was that one guy...)

Do you think the coaches see any value in having a guy like Damiere Byrd as the 6th WR (since that position will likely be one of the inactives on gameday) vs. keeping a Bersin or Boykin in that role? I'm assuming KB, Funchess, Ginn, Brown, and Cotchery are pretty much locks.

I can see the appeal in trying to stash him on the Patrice Squad since he has availability and the other 2 don't, but his speed is impossible to ignore and it sounds like he has a lot better hands than most gave him credit for going into the draft.  

To me, with Olsen, Dickson, KB, Funchess, Cotchery, & Brown, the Panthers have more than enough WR weapons to move the chains.  But outside of Ginn there are no burners on this team (and sorry I like Corey Brown a lot but he is not a burner in the sense of 'if he get's behind the defense he's not ever getting caught').  Brown may be a better overall receiver than Ginn, but Ginn does have the speed that make defensive coordinators pause, even if his hands have never been good enough to warrant a complete change in the game plan.

I just think if they do keep 6, I don't see why you wouldn't keep another burner instead of a "possession receiver."  This is provided Byrd continue to show in the preseason, but just my thoughts.

Wasn't CAP's pass protection abilities one of his strengths coming in? I'm sure he'll need to improve (given the what's in the OP) but I thought that was one of the reasons DG mentioned we grabbed him over some other RBs.  

Not sure,  but he has a bit of room for improvement in that area against pro players.