• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Left Tackle Daryl Williams?

Jeremy Igo

My take on Williams is, during OTAs and mini camps this guy was a sponge for information.  I remember some pictures of him getting instruction and how he seems to be absorbing everything in the lesson. 

So if this guy worked at his craft trying to implement what he learned in his lessons. Why is it so impossible for him to be good enough to move to the left.  While the sample  (only 7 plays) is too small to make an educated decision.  He clearly has made strides in improving himself. 

I am not ready to give up on Oher just yet.   He has time to get comfortable and become the answer.  If not, Williams may have enough time to get better and better.

This stereotyping arms being too short or too long or guys being to big or whatever is stupid. IF the man can play the position I don't care if he doesn't have arms at all.  If he can play, he can play.

So you think the coaches should get a pass for trotting Antoine Cason and Charles Godfrey out there at corner over Josh Norman? They should've seen that the first week of camp.

Norman was starting by week 5. Cason was cut after week 12. Godfrey was cut as soon as Benwikere returned from injury. Pay attention to the reality, dont just bitch all willy nilly. Godfrey started one game at nickle.

• Pie 3

Williams is 335lbs not 327. No one is saying he can't play tackle. At a position where athletism is needed and the knock on the guy is he is not athletic enough to play his natural RT position, why slide him to the athletic LT position? 

Looking at his college game tape he  definitely  has the size and athletic ability to play RT the question is he fast enough for LT. I believe he will end up playing RT especially with what Panthers want to do in the run game.

Edited by sanjay_rajput

How do you know he is not athletic enough to play RT he hasn't played a single NFL snap yet? Looking at his college game tape he  definitely  has the size and athletic ability to play RT the question is he fast enough for LT. I believe he will end up playing RT especially with what Panthers want to do in the run game.

Where did I state he is not athletic enough to play RT? I thought I clarified that was a knock on him coming into the NFL? Whether he can play or not we will all get to see. Players have proven their draft profiles wrong many times so hopefully he does that.

It Williams at LT fails it won't be because of his weight. To quote G-Man:

"But when you look at players, one of the things you have to say to yourself is, if a guy doesn’t have all the physical qualities, what is he missing? Let’s say he doesn’t have the pretty left tackle feet. What’s going to allow him to overcome? Is he especially powerful? Is he meaner than a rattlesnake? Is he really instinctive? There are plenty of guys who are playing in our league at a pretty high level who aren’t classic left tackles and don’t have all the classic physical qualities. But they have something that allows them to overcome…Can a left tackle come in and play? Sure they can. Just like quarterbacks or receivers. But it takes a mentally tough kid to come in and play now. And obviously having the skills.”

Edited by mario
  • Pie 2

He has that attitude that Norwell has.  Something you can't teach.  Look at Jonathon Martin, guy has all the ability but was soft.  Norwell was said to not have some of the ability but he picked stuff up right quick and had that attitude.

williams only played one game at LT because Oklahoma had another talented OT on he otherwise in addition to his "lack of athletic ability".  That one game was against Bama against one of the top Defensea in the nation with one of the top pass rushes.  And he did work that game.

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 1

Where did I state he is not athletic enough to play RT? I thought I clarified that was a knock on him coming into the NFL? Whether he can play or not we will all get to see. Players have proven their draft profiles wrong many times so hopefully he does that.

I just re -read it,  The only way to know for sure is during pre-season, but I would rather have him on the right side and move Remmers to LT. They might be doing this just to improve his pass protection going against the speeder pass rusher, so when is he  back on the right side he will be ahead of the curve.

Edited by sanjay_rajput

A few questions... 

I didn't see the presser afterwards, but did Rivera address this?  If so, what did he have to say?   Will we see more of this in the future? 

And, if we do, what does that mean for RT?  I assumed coming into camp that it was Remmers job, but then we have been working him at C as well.  I know that shouldn't mean much, but I think if you have a guy who is your RT, you're not giving him backup C reps in TC. 

RR stated before TC began that we would see multiple OL combo's during camp

for competition and finding the right mix.

• Pie 1